“Great base in Alajuela”
Review of Hotel Casa Tago

Hotel Casa Tago
Ranked #10 of 61 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our trip and the last night on our 2 week trip to Costa Rica - family of 3. It is within 10 min by taxi from the airport and about a 1/2 hr bus ride into San Jose which we did on both our first and last day in the country. The owners are so nice and hospitable, lovely rooms - 2 double beds with hot showers, wi fi and TV. A wonderful breakfast is served, felt like being with family at home. Our room was located at the back of the hotel and was very quiet - view of city and mountains, there is a seating area outside of the room if you want to just sit and read or relax. There are restaurants, the central park, and cathedral all within walking distance of a few blocks. The bus terminal for San Jose was easy to find, about a 1/2 hr ride, and we were able to take in a few sites within San Jose on foot - mainly the downtown area. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fav4
There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa Tago

Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed at this cozy hotel on our last night in Costa Rica, to ensure we were close to the airport on our day of departure. In that sense, it is in a great location -- the airport is less than 10 mins by taxi, and the central park of Alajuela is only 2 blocks walk. The rooms are reasonably priced and we were easily able to get a double and a triple, for our family of five.

The rooms were clean and servicable, but spartan and cheaply furnished. I think the interior walls were quite thin, though noise was not an issue for us. All rooms are on the one floor, and there are perhaps 10 rooms total. Only two rooms have exterior windows – those at the far end of the single corridor. Admittedly, those have a decent view over the city to the mountains beyond. The other rooms only have windows into the interior corridor, which we left open overnight because it was the only ventilation. [I suppose you must trust your fellow travelers.] I don't think their was any A/C, because each room had a fan, but in February that was fine.

In the morning the proprietor made a simple breakfast for each group as they woke, in a small kitchen/dining area near the lobby. (Scrambled eggs & ham, sliced bread, jam, coffee/tea, juice.)

There is a little Internet-access station, with guidebooks and ideas for things to do. There is Wi-Fi and it worked well.

The neighborhood, indeed, all of central Alajuela, must be a rough place, because our hotel had a rugged set of bars across the front entrance at all times; we saw similar security on nearly every property in town. (We set out for a stroll around 5pm on Friday and saw many stores closing up shop as the sun set, rattling down their security gates.) Other than that the central park was a pleasant place, next to a beautiful cathedral and with many couples & families out for a stroll. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, and many shops.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a window, which are at the far end away from the street. (I think there are only...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David K
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I arrived at Casa Tago on a 8:00 pm flight that was 30 minutes late. Taking the taxi from the airport was quick (about five minutes) and cost me $5.00 going by the meter.
I was greeted by their night desk person and quickly got into my room #9. The room has only inside windows but with the construction of the building light does get in and with the windows open one also gets a nice breeze. Having been in South American countries I was familiar with the shower and it's electric water heater so had a very nice hot shower before going to bed. I was traveling alone and this room has a double sized bed which was comfortable.
Constanza greeted me the following morning and made me a hearty and filing breakfast of fruit, juice, fresh baked bread, eggs and coffee. Constanza was in the process of moving so this is the only time I saw her. She gave me great advice about things to see and do and even said that I should go up to see Poas that day because it was clear. I decided to wait till the following day but should have listened to her advice as she was right on...the next day the crater was shrouded in cloud.
I spent four comfortable nights there and would go back again the next time I visit Alajuela.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank WParks
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed in this little family hotel twice, on the beginning of our one month trip around Costa Rica and in the end of the trip. The owners are so friendly, helpful and nice people! We felt really safe and welcome here. Rooms are perfectly clean and spacious with TV and wifi, bath has hot water and hotel is peaceful and quite. Breakfast is delicious and rich, included in the price (39 $ per night in room with fan). Plus, you can't beat the location near the international airport, buses to San Jose and volcano Irazú and city center. I can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: No. 7 is very nice room :).
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We arrived at SJO around 10pm and took a cab to Casa Tago. I printed out the map from Casa Tago's website and gave it to the driver. It was a quick cab ride, but please note - do not try to negotiate a fare before you get in the cab!! My friend and I were worried about being overcharged so we were asking before we got in how much it would be and they told us $15. I knew from reading online it was supposed to be $5-7, but we did it anyway and then when we got there he tried to charge $20. All cabs have a meter they are required to use, go by that and it will be about $5.

We had a reservation so check-in at the hotel was easy. When we were shown our room the person acted surprised that there was one bed and thought that would be a problem as there were two of us. I guess they don't see straight girls sleeping together in a double bed often? We got a room with interior windows only (view of hallway), but with a TV, fan and private bathroom. I forgot, from my previous trip to Costa Rica, that you have to turn the shower on low for the water to be hot, so I took a cold shower.

We had an early flight (8:30am) from Pavas on Nature Air the next morning so we had to be up early. The staff arranged a taxi for us and we ate a quick, free breakfast of fruit and juice before leaving. Overall, a good experience.

Also, before flying out of SJO we decided to stop quickly in Alajuela to do some last minute shopping and grab food at the indoor market. We didn't have much time to explore, but the shopping wasn't very good at the market -- it was better at the airport, once you go through security.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pointgiven71
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Casa Tago is a small B&B located in Alajuela town, 2 blocks away from Central Park. It takes about 3 minutes (~$6 US) if you take the orange taxi from the airport. Just remember to look for tomato orange, not tangerine orange.

Our Room #8 was large and extremely clean. It had 1 double bed and 1 single bed, a clean bathroom with hot water for shower. The towels were a little bit rough but it just means to us that they use less chemical to treat the fabric, which fits their "Think Green" spirit. Hotel has free wi-fi, just ask for their password.

Owner Humberto doesn't speak too much English but he is very gracious and polite. There is a small sitting area. I loved how they provide different recycling bins in the hall and friendly notices in the bathroom to remind you to turn off the light and take short showers.

Since the room is very simple, there is no mini fridge to store drinks. There is a huge supermarket and a bank just across Central Park. We didn't find the area unsafe like some reviewers said.

We asked Humberto to recommend a good restaurant. He gave us a map and a free-cocktail coupon for restaurant El Balcon, which is only 3 small blocks away. The food was good and service was excellent. It was quite a challenge to find it as their sign was very small. We managed to ask the police and they were happy to give us directions (it was only steps from Central Park). For those who prefer fast food, there's KFC's, Burger King, and McD's in walking distance.

We got wakened up by the neighbour's rooster at 5am. We just laughed about it.

Breakfast is included. There's a small kitchen with a table for guests. Whenever you're ready, they'll make you a delicious breakfast with fresh fruits, warm bread, and scrambled eggs.

Casa Tago is an excellent choice for a stop over if you would like to stay close in town.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

My friend tipped me off on this little hotel. Very clean ! Staff were great. Price was good. Will be back for another stay. Nice and close to the airport. Thanks to all your staff. You have my business !! Great place

• Stayed: September 2012