“Perfect for short stay near airport”

Hotel Catedral Casa Cornejo
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel due to it's proximity to the airport and its reasonable price. We arrived at SJO in the evening, picked up our rental car and found the hotel with ease. Easy 5 minute drive from the airport and free parking.

My fiance's dad flew in with us last minute (we were getting married later on in the month) and needed a hotel- the gentleman at the reception took the time to find him a room at another hotel as our hotel was fully booked. My father-in-law LOVED the hotel he found for him :-)

Breakfast was included in the price and was prepared by the same gentleman that checked us in. It consisted of coffee, juice, pancakes, egg and toast. Good breakfast.

I really wish I could remember the front desk guys name because he was great! He spent at least 20-30 minutes with us the morning we were leaving (no longer paying guests) helping us with directions to the bus terminal (to drop off father-in-law who was going elsewhere before our wedding), giving advice on where he should travel & also helping my fiance and I with directions to get out of San Jose.

The rooms were by no means fancy and you wouldn't want to "hang out" in the room, but for the price & included breakfast I would review the room as excellent. There was a TV and warm shower. Bed was comfortable as well. I can't remember whether I wore earplugs or not, but it is right on the street. I did not have any problems getting a good nights rest. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a 1 night stay due to its proximity to the airport & superior service by the man at the reception counter.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had to cancel my booking on the same day, very early on morning. The hotel make me pay the full room even if they still had plenty of room available. So my cancellation wouldn't make them loose costumer. I even propose them to change the date and they refuse.
Very bad in term of service, just look at my money.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night before continuing our journey. Average hotel with basic room. Not the cleanest version, but quite OK for quick stay. However, the service was worth 5 stars. Very friendly and helpful receptionist that helped us in all our questions and worries (airlines lost our luggage and we had to buy many new things before leaving in the morning). The receptionist called for a taxi and instructed the driver to take us in several places to get our shoppings done in the night time. We were really grateful!

Excellent breakfast and quick service in the morning. Really affortable price all in all.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel is excellent for several things: 1) is from 5 min to the airport (Alajuela downtown) 2) the staff is great 3)has a Italian restaurant where the food is delicious and cheap 4)the room are so clean and CONFORTABLES 5) has Wi-Fi available in the rooms 6) the breakfast is so good....

In conclusion is the best option to stay in Alajuela! 100% recommended

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014

the location is great - close to San Jose Airport in the citycentre just opposite the cathedrale and everything around. The hotel and the rooms are nice and clean and well maintained. On the groundfloor you find a good restaurant with international food. The people in this family run hotel are friendliy and helpful.

But there is one bad thing. Most of the rooms are very noisy because of simple glass windows. So it is hard to sleep at night when you hear the cars "driving through your room". So I would recommend the rooms to the backside (No. 6 and 10) although they do not have a nice view, but quiet.

Room Tip: the rooms to the backside are quiet and good for sleeping. The frontside rooms are just good for enj...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ferien10
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We spent 2 nights here last week, ending our month in Central America. It is a charming city property located a block Northeast of the Caterdral and the town square. It may be the best bargain for the money in all of Alajuela. 10 minutes and $5 to the airport and about 50 steps to the very center of this bustling city. Relaxing, enjoyable, convenient. Nothing fancy but clean and a great place to spend a night or two. The owner, Chamas, is a young up and comiing Tico with a really interesting perspective on CR and CA in general. We enjoyed our little stay there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Ideal location if catching an early morning flight as it's right by the airport. The cab ride cost me $4. It is quite far from downtown San Jose.

For a low budget hotel it is fine - no major complaints. The hotel is clean and the owner is very friendly and helpful. He arranged an early morning taxi for me and waited at the door until the taxi came. However, the hotel could do with replacing some items in the rooms which were a bit ragged (ex. towels).

I had a corner room over looking the square which was a bit noisy. I ventured out to the square for a walk in the early evening and it did not seem the safest of areas so I would not recommend walking around alone.

In summary, the hotel is fine if you need somewhere for one night close to the airport otherwise I would not stay in Alajuela as there is nothing to do there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bouile
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Berlor Airport Inn
Hotel Mi Tierra
Hotel Mi Tierra
#20 of 27 in Alajuela
El Rodeo Estancia Boutique Hotel & Steakhouse
El Rodeo Estancia Boutique Hotel...
#6 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to Hotel Catedral Casa Cornejo? Share your experiences!