“Nice place in Alajuela”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Alajuela, Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Nice place in Alajuela”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

The place is nice, it is small but very cozy and with good music and ambience. The food is really good, service is good.
It is hard to find this kind of places in Alajuela. You can go and have a very nice time with friends or with your partner.

Visited December 2012

• Korean first
Brantford, Canada
“Was Impressed”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Edwardo from Los Volcanes sent me there and I was quite impressed they recognized me on the street and welcomed me in.I was alone so I only brought a small amount of money with me.I managed to get a lovely meal a frozen margaritta and desert! The service was excellent and Ronaldo was the best waiter in San Jose! Kathy from Canada

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kathy B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Meal, Friendly Service, Good Prices”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I went here with a group of three last Friday. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal, though we were disappointed to find that they were out of the local craft beers on their menu. Between the three of us we had two chicken dishes and one steak dish and everyone liked their food, although it wasn't anything particularly unique or exciting (then again, we weren't looking for that).

The server was very friendly and offered good recommendations, although service was a little slow at times. It seemed as though the server was handling all the guests in addition to tending bar, and some unseen staff were in the back cooking, which made things run a bit slowly and made you work to get the waiter's attention. Nonetheless, when we did have the waiter's attention, he was very friendly and helpful.

The restaurant itself is tiny, so we felt lucky to have a table to ourselves. If you don't like small tables close together, this would not be a good option for you. Along similar lines, their menu is fairly limited to begin with so if you're picky, have dietary restrictions, or are a vegetarian, you're probably in the wrong restaurant (and for that matter, the wrong country). But if you find yourself in Alajuela for a night and need a place to eat, this is definitely one of the better options.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank JPGerber
Delaware
“Are you kidding?”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I am puzzled by the positive reviews. Maybe it's that the waiter/bartender Rolando speaks English. But I'd suggest going to the pizza place next door (for example) instead of this place.
The first strange thing was that the place was full of people from our hotel. Period. But this alone was enough to overtax the staff, with irregular, slow service. Then the much heralded craft beers were unavailable. The white wine was bad and had to be returned. The place is one of the noisiest restaurants I've ever experienced, at a busy intersection with lots of loud trucks and notorcycles, topped off by an insipid tv station showing 70's mtv videos at high volume. We had been assured at the hotel that they could prepare vegetarian entrees but the results were simply bland. The non-vegetarians were not impressed with their food either. Cocktails were attractively prepared although weak.
I seldom write reviews that are this negative, but in this case, unless you absolutely need an English-speaking waiter, I really suggest being adventurous and trying someplace else.

• Visited January 2013
Okemos, Michigan
“Like It A Lot”
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

This place was a little hard to find for our driver, but in an easy to get to location.
The server/manager/host was delightful and certainly has his shtick down.
I went with the steak special with the chimmichurri and it was tender and delicious. Everyone in the group of seven liked their dishes.
I've found some of the food here in San Jose a bit bland. They offer hot sauces(Tabasco) and I have usually also ended up adding salt and pepper. Not this place. Everything was tasty, nicely spicy and prepared thoughtfully.
I did find it funny that the guy asked if I'd found his restaurant on TripAdvisor. Yes, I had. He presented me with a business card with the name of the restaurant and the TripAdvisor seal. Good job, TA!
-Jim