“Great way to start your vacation”
Review of Casa Marin B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Casa Marin B&B
Ranked #5 of 58 Alajuela B&B and Inns
usa
“Great way to start your vacation”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I can't say enough nice things about Casa Marin and Jody. Jody goes well above and beyond what I would expect from any hotel/B&B.

Jody picked us up from the airport at 6:00 a.m. Knowing we were tired and hungry she stopped off at a little market so we could pick up some much needed coffee and snacks. Later in the day she dropped us off downtown, with a cell phone she provided in case we needed her, which we did. The taxi driver couldn't speak English and I was able to call Jody for directions. Later in the day she went back to the airport to pick up another family member, and after drove us to a restaurant to pick up dinner. Again, way above what I was expecting.

About the property: Casa Marin is just a lovely little B&B. Perfect for couples or families. We stayed in the Mermaid room, which was perfect. There were four of us and the room had 3 beds. Even with 3 beds there was plenty of room for us all. The room has little kitchen area, and a nice size bathroom. The biggest bonus was the pool is only a few feet away from the room. It was great letting my 8 year old go swimming and being able to see her clearly at all times from the room. The next morning Jody made us a HUGE breakfast (fruit, pancakes, quiches, yogurt). We were all stuffed. I should mention the rooms were immaculate, super clean.

Sadly we were there for just the one night, but it was a great start to our vacation.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the mermaid room for families.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After 9 days of traveling in the Costa Rican jungles, we found ourselves at Jodi's Casa Marin for our last night in town because it was so close to the airport. It was such a fantastic experience, the grounds were lovely, hummingbirds everywhere. Our shower had HOT water. It also included a little mini bar of water, beer and wine. Jodi was so helpful in getting us there - she even came and picked us up in town when our taxi got lost. She took us out for a fabulous meal that night and then made us a delightful breakfast (including her vegan morning bread that was sooooo delicious!)

We would highly recommend this place to anyone staying in or traveling through Alajuela. We will certainly be back!

Lauren and Adam from Brooklyn

1 Thank Lauren S
Tutuila, American Samoa
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We've visited CR in April/Mai 2013 and started our trip with a one-night stay in Jodi's wonderful Casa Marin B&B paradise. Even though we had to wait a long time at the airport because our luggage did not arrive, Jodi was not only waiting patiently for us but drove us generously to Walmart to get us some clothes and food. From the very first second, we felt like warm friends and shared many impressions and experiences about home and CR.
Jodi created her exclusive paradise with pure passion and an eye for details. The rooms are big, nicely furnished and by far the cleanest ones on our whole trip. As there are only three rooms, one can enjoy the nice privacy not only in the room, but also in the refreshing pool (and watch humming birds in the meanwhile).
Jodi prepared an extensive breakfast with amazing fresh fruits and self-made mango-cholocate cake which leaves nothing to be desired. young gourments will definitly get their money's worth.
We enjoyed our stay so much, that we decided to stay for two more nights at the end of the trip. Jody was even offering us a ride to the close by Poa volcano and the La Paz waterfall garden. It was a pleasure to spend our time together with her and to benefit from her immense understanding of the country.

Once again, we can highly recommend this place to everybody visiting CR.

Room Tip: - Dolphin room can be highly recommended
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wifken
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 July 2013

What a welcoming place to stay! Not only was the place quiet, clean and spacious but the atmosphere relaxing. Our stay began with a smiling welcome from our hostess right outside the airport exit. This was helpful as when traveling to an unfamiliar destination it can be taxing to even keep track of the basics. Jodi made sure we had all our belongings and facilitated taking care of our immediate needs -good eats- warm luxurious shower-comfortable bed. Having Jodi drive the streets of Alajuela to and from basic destinations to launch our adventure was key as there was an abundance of activity on Costa Rican roads. Her B&B has a dreamlike quality with artwork of dolphins at play. The meals provided were fresh, plentiful and custom made for special dietary needs. We found ourselves weaving our way in and out of the San Jose area. Each time we returned to Casa Marin. Each stay Jodi gracefully managed to anticipate and coordinate our transportation needs while providing helpful information about various areas throughout Costa Rica. Her easy going, non-intrusive demeanor added to the feeling of truly being on vacation and experiencing "Pura Vida"! I would highly recommend Casa Marin and Doña Jodi!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed at Casa Marin for four days scattered over a couple of weeks. The B&B is fairly close to the San Jose International Airport, but it is in a quiet neighborhood. So it's practical for those who need to catch an early morning flight, but without having to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city.

The rooms and the property itself are beautiful. We stayed in both La Sirena and El Delfin (I believe these are the only two rooms currently available at Casa Marin; Jody, the owner, is no longer renting the rooms inside the main house). We were very happy with both rooms; La Sirena may be a better option if there are four people in your party.

In the mornings, Jody serves breakfast at a table set outside by the pool. For us she served up some delicious pineapple bread with chocolate chips, quiches, and in keeping with Costa Rican tradition, gallo pinto, fruit and coffee. What a great way to begin the day!

I concur with the other reviewers that Jody is simply an amazing hostess! She picked us up and dropped us off a couple of times at the airport, dropped us off and picked us up from our car rental place, gave us great suggestions for activities in the Osa and Nicoya peninsulas, and recommended a restaurant on the way to Volcan Poas -- Freddo Fresas -- that we loved. On our last day in Costa Rica, she even packed up breakfast for us before dropping us off at the airport at 4:30 AM.

In short, Casa Marin is a great little B&B with an owner who looks after her clients incredibly well. I don't think you can go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: La Sirena if you have four in your party.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We can't say enough about Jody, the owner. Casa Marin is so close to the SJO airport, but
a world away from the hustle and bustle of San Jose. The property has a beautiful pool and delightful rooms. Jody's personal touch is so obvious and she prepares the best breakfast we had during our nine day stay in Costa Rica. We were so sad to leave the property.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I had a perfect experience here at Casa Marin. It is a quaint and beautifully kept B&B in Alajuela. I arrived in San Jose and was greeted right outside customs by the innkeeper Jody. She is a lovely American who moved down to CR a while back. Jody was very knowledgable about the area and knew of some places with some delicious local food. I stayed in the two different rooms out by the pool and each was immaculate and each had a lovely tropical feel to the decorations. The bathrooms were clean and once you figure out the hot water shower head thingy you will be super happy!!! Casa Marin is a quiet setting with a beautiful hummingbird/butterfly garden right in the center of the grounds. I was able to snap some beautiful hummingbird pictures at breakfast one day. On the subject of breakfast.....it was terrific as well. Jody out together a bowl of local fruit.....mangos/pineapples/bananas as well as this awesome vegan banana/pineapple/mango/chocolate chip bread that I could probably have eaten a loaf or two at one sitting. On the day when I had an early flight she packed a gift bag full of the banana bread and little egg quiche thingys and yogurt and such. When it was time for dinner she drove me out to a couple of great local places to eat. Jalepenos was a wonderful family Tex-Mex place.

While I was in CR my trip in Drake Bay was interrupted by weather to the point that I had to return to San Jose three days early. Jody figured out that I was on a flight arriving from a different airport into San Jose and was there to pick me up when I got in. Once we returned to her place she made a few calls and helped me set up a trip to Arenal to see the volcano. If it hadn't been for Jody I am quite sure that I would have rebooked my flight home and bailed on the rest of my trip. She insisted on helping me make the arrangements to stick it out and I am very glad that she did.

Overall Casa Marin is a beautiful little place that I would highly recommend. You will feel and be treated like family there. You will get to meet the resident dogs and a little kitten named Kiki that was adorable. There is no reason to look for anyplace else to stay in the Alajuela/San Jose area.....this is the place.

Room Tip: There is also a pool that is lovely. There is a dolphin tiled into the bottom of the pool and a bea...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo