“Convenient, friendly, clean.”

Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Irvine, California
“Convenient, friendly, clean.”
Reviewed 2 December 2010

We had a good experience at Buena Vista due to good service and cleanliness of property. Courtesy shuttle from airport worked out fine. Our stay was one night only, so we did not have opportunity to explore much. Staff is very helpful. Some of the blinds were missing in our room. The beds were comfortable to us. We ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Coffee with the hot milk is excellent. There one or two other choices in the small village sharing the street. Very quiet location in the hills above Alajuelah. Great valley view. Transportation needed to get back to Alajuelah.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Nice, unique hotel in the hills with amazing views. Convenient to have an airport pickup but we waited an hour for the shuttle. Very nice staff, helpful and accommodating. Great free breakfast. But....the beds had ants in them. We asked for assistance which was provided but it did not resolve the problem and we were not able to actually sleep in the beds in our room after sheets were changed and area was vacuumed. They gave us a discount on the room rate which made us feel better but it was disappointing to not have a good rest on the first night of a vacation with an 8 yr old due to ants in the sheets of the bed. Hopefully this was an isolated incident as it is a great option of a hotel and still be near the airport.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I just tried sending this review...got dumped. Anyway, I chose to return to the Buena Vista for my final night in Costa Rica. Once again, the staff was friendly and helpful, the food was great, and the room was comfortable. They even managed to get my laundry done and delivered early before I was driven to the airport. Breakfast is GREAT...huevos, tocino, frutas and gallo pinto. I will definitely stay at the Buena Vista again. Appropriately named, the pic is of San Jose at night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Tallahassee
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I could not wait to bring my family here. I stayed here with my boyfriend a couple of years ago and the hospitality was amazing. This trip was with my daughter (for her 40th birthday) and 2 grandsons. They brought her cake and sang for her at dinner, on their own, I did not even have to ask about it. Order a Pina Colada and watch them reach for the fresh pineapple to cut up to make it. My 10 year old grandson said the hotel was awesome and his favorite place he stayed in on the trip; he loved the family feeling throughout the hotel and the internet access for his ipod.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Friendswood, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from Costa Rica and spent our last night at Buena Vista. We found the staff to be so friendly and helpful. The food was some of the best we'd had during our entire stay in Costa Rica and one of the waiters even hand wrote the recipe for their delicious frozen tea drink. The hotel is small, with only about 15 rooms in the whole place and the staff makes you feel so at home. It is very convenient to the airport and the view of San Jose is beautiful, especially at night. We will definitely return on our next visit to Costa Rica and I would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed here our first night. The pick-up from the airport was on time and easy to find. The rooms was clean and the people were friendly and helpful. They helped us find transport to Arenal and a taxi into Alajuela. The owner let our 6-year old boys pick bananas they had found in the garden. And the food was good. Pool was great for our kids (they all swim.) And the views were buena. We also stayed here on the last night. Again, the shuttle back to the airport was on time and helpful.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I found the staff to be extremely helpful, accommodating and fun. The hotel is far enough away from the airport that you feel and see outside the city, but close enough to make a quick run back or forth. The staff was willing to help me with my need to spread out a continental breakfast over the course of a morning: first coffee, then I returned later for fresh fruit and then again for yummy yogurt mixed with delicious granola. It's not as luxurious as the Marriott or Four Seasons, and I wished the pool was a bit larger + lawn chairs a bit cleaner, but the Buena Vista is a solid hotel worthy of consideration. Also, I did not do any day trips, but Buena Vista seems like a good base from which one could plan several day tours/trips. My friend utilized the services of the masseuse and pedicurist and was very pleased.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends