“So Convenient!”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
“So Convenient!”
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Pricey (almost $150/night), but you can't beat the location of this Hampton Inn. Most of the car rental agencies are right across the parking lot. It's true that there's a Denny's and that's about it, but right around the corner was a local steakhouse that we were referred to by the front desk and LOVED! No touristas there! And the front desk let me print my boarding passes in the hotel office because the business center computer was not cooperating. For location and reliability, you can't beat this hotel. Clean too.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piqua41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2008

I stayed here the night before and after my cruise. It was super convenient to the airport and delivered what I expect from a Hampton Inn - clean rooms, good breakfast, and your basic amenities. As a woman traveling alone I felt very safe staying here.

Room
The room was incredibly clean. The beds were comfortable with a nice duvet. I had a king bed that was a bit lumpy but still comfortable, and the 4 pillows were perfect for me (not too hard or soft). There's a fridge and microwave in the room. The bathroom had good water pressure in the shower, a hairdryer and coffee and coffee maker (no tea). If you're a light sleeper, keep the air conditioner on (its noisy) so that you don't hear the airplanes taking off/landing during the night.

TV
If you're like me and watch TV when you're tired you'll be interested to know that the TV stations were evenly Spanish and English (out of Denver) and then 1 each of French, Italian and Chinese. There was also an international film station that features many different languages. They had CNN International in English and CNN Latin America in Spanish.

Internet access
There's free wi-fi for guests and 3 computers in the business center room. I didn't use/see the pool - it was under renovations while I was there.

There's a Denny's (just like the ones in America) across the street (which is more like a drive way in a complex that includes a casino, car rentals, the Hampton Inn and the Garden Court Hotel). There's no room service, but their guide says that food can be delivered. The breakfast was just like other Hampton Inn breakfasts, and included both eggs, sausage, cereal, bagels, toast, biscuts, tea, coffee, juice, a local dish (which was delicious), and other things. There's a small shop for bottled water, sodas, snacks(microwave popcorn, pretzels, chips, cookies, etc) and toiletries that have normal prices.

Airport shuttle
To find it when you arrive walk outside of departures, go across the crosswalk and on the sidewalk you'll either see the shuttle with Hampton Inn and Garden Court on it or an employee with a sign and clipboard listing guests arriving that day. The shuttle runs 24/7 so you can be sure that one will arrive soon if it's not there. The shuttle will take you and your luggage directly to the hotel. When catching the shuttle to the airport give yourself extra time. The manager radioed the shuttle after I checked out, but it took about 15-20 minutes for it to arrive. He radioed them twice.

Staff
I've seen comments that the staff weren't nice. I'd say that they're okay. They don't fawn over you, but if say hello and have patience I found that they're nice. I felt that they were looking after me. I arrived at 11am (check-in isn't until 2 or 3 pm) after the hotel was at full capacity the night before, and they got me into a room within the hour. And when my husband called while I was in the lobby, a woman at reception that I hadn't talked to before called me over to let me know he was on the phone.

• Liked — Close to the airport
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank travelmagee
Chicago
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I felt very comfortable staying at this hotel. Both the rooms and the common areas are exceptionally clean. The free breakfast was decent and the "to go" breakfast bags were very convenient.

My only problem is that the staff were not very pleasant. I had left some of my belongings on a bus and I needed help contacting the bus company. I called down to the hotel's front desk several times and the phone just rang and rang. I finally went down to the lobby and there was no one at the front desk. I talked to a security guard who had to page the desk attendant. The attendant was of very little help. He seemed annoyed with me. He did help me contact the bus company, but it was very grudgingly.

Overall, desk attendants did not seem to greet guests when guests walked up to the front desk. Each time, I had to go to the front desk, I would stand there a few seconds without any sort of acknowledgement from the staff that I was there. I would always have to start out by saying, "Excuse me."

If you're looking for a decent place to stay near the airport, this hotel fits the bill. As long as you don't expect the staff to be helpful, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 4 March 2008

A perfectly fine hotel of its type, but it could be any airport hotel anywhere. We stayed there our first night because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting to a down town hotel. Next time we'll know better. We stayed at a perfectly charming (and much cheaper) hotel downtown for our return trip and had no more problem getting to the airport than if we'd been at the Hampton. Just took about 30 minutes longer.

• Liked — Proximity to airport
  • Disliked — Lack of individuality
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 January 2008

This is not a five-star hotel, but I give it a five for delivering exactly what one wants in an airport hotel, and for exceeding expectations. I would not hesitate to recommend it for a first and/or last nite in Costa Rica. Not for sightseers, though.

My family of 5 arrived by easy 5 minute shuttle at 11 PM on Christmas Nite. Check-in was pleasant and efficient.

Our room was clean and quiet. 2 nice double beds. The portable cot was already in the room and made-up. Can't think of that happening any other time and that was a really nice surprise.

We enjoyed the included continental breakfast, with the usual fare.

We had till about 2:00 pm to wait for our extended family and there was no problem with late checkout. We went to the pool for a couple of hours. It is small and lots of planes go by! That was to be expected and we were just happy to let the kids in the water while we waited. There were no pool towels-we just dried in the sun. Perhaps the front desk had some.

The hotel is secure, and you need your key to get back in from the pool, or any other door but the front.

• Liked — clean, airport location, quiet
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank NancyJL
Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 January 2008

Let me start off by saying that Costa Rica is a very expensive place to vacation.They have a 13% tax they add to every bill plus a 10% service charge added to eating establishment's.You also have a $26.00pp airport tax that you have to buy before you leave the country.This is not included in any airline ticket's.You can go ahead and buy your departure tax at a stand they have set up near the immigration checkpoint's when you first arrive in Costa Rica.I suggest you do this.You do not know how long this line might be when you are trying to leave the country and you have to have this form(already filled out)before you get to the ticket counter for your departing flight.
Now about the hotel.The room's are a nice size with all of the amenities you might need.The room's are very clean with a nice comfy bed.They offer free internet in the room or you can use their computer's they have set up in a room next to the gift shop.They also offer a complimentary breakfast or you can grab one of the to go bag's they have available when you check out for people in a hurry.There is a casino with a nice restaurant located across the street from the hotel.Also there is a Denny's and a RostiPollo(chicken) next to the casino.There is also a complimentary shuttle that run's between the hotel and airport 24/7.The airport is only about 5 minutes away.I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Costa Rica.Great location and a great hotel.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ParadiseOklahoma
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 3 January 2008

We flew in on 10pm flight, and stayed overnight. It was nice since the hotel shuttle pick us up, and the hotel is 5min away. You know what you are getting. I would not stay there if I was going to spend anytime in the area since there is nothing near the hotel except for Denny's for food.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank jtooley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
#5 of 27 in Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport? Share your experiences!