“A gorgeous slice of Paradise...in Paradise!”

Xandari Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Alajuela
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A gorgeous slice of Paradise...in Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I visited Costa Rica for the first time and stayed at Xandari Resort in October 2013, primarily based on previous TA reviews. I was not disappointed at all, and if anything, Xandari exceeded my already high expectations. I stayed at Xandari for 8 nights at the beginning of my trip (villa #16), and then another 4 nights at the end of my trip (villa #7)...pure heaven both stays! The views of the Central Valley (Alajuela and volcanoes in the distance) from the private patios were amazing, and I could have happily spent my entire vacation just sitting out there.

However, there were so many activities and places to see in the area, that most days were spent exploring, both on foot and by car. The hiking in the hills right at Xandari was incredible, and the waterfalls on the property were definitely worth the hikes I did each day. By car, I visited the Zoo Ave in nearby Alajuela, did the coffee plantation tour at Doka Estates, experienced the zip line canopy tour near Volcan Poas, visited the actual Volcan Poas and hiked the trails there, and went to the very large farmer's market on Saturday in Alajuela. All of the activities above I consider to be a must-see!

The transportation provider for Xandari (William) was excellent, and became my primary mode of transportation even when staying elsewhere in Costa Rica on my trip - I highly recommend, as William was dependable and an excellent guide as well. The restaurant at Xandari was fantastic, with great whole foods, many of which were grown right on the property. And last but not least, the staff was amazing, from Alex, Juan, Christian, Carol, and others (hope I spelled all names correctly!), they made both of my stays memorable ones, and made me feel so at home at Xandari. When I return to Costa Rica, Xandari will hold a permanent place on my itinerary!!

Room Tip: I have only stayed in villas #16 and #7 so far, but both were excellent and unique in their own ways...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a gem of a property not too far from the airport. Lots of time has been spent landscaping and creating walking trails around the property. The view from my room was spectacular. I liked the architectural style of the rooms, which are all situated in a private manner. The only reason I did not give it a "5" is that it is outrageously expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just went to Xandari Spa for a couples massage and herbal jacuzzi. We aren't spa goers but the service was excellent and it was so relaxing! Conrad and Vera did the messages and they were both great. The view is incredible from the jalapas. Xandari was awesome at making this and pleasurable experience, they even gave us an extra jacuzzi session for the occasion. If you are staying anywhere near this place it is well worth the time and money!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lukem11
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Wow! Where do I begin? My family and I stayed at Xandari for a long weekend getaway. What a beautiful property! The villa was so spacious and well-appointed. It had everything we needed and more, including items in the fridge, an umbrella, fresh fruit, bottled water, and reading material. The view from the balcony of our villa was amazing. I went out there in the mornings and saw all sorts of birds, including vultures flying over. Neat! The staff is so attentive. They brought food to our room when it was raining, helped us determine where to go in San Jose, and arranged for our transportation to the airport upon departure. The spa was pretty awesome! I've never had a massage quite like that one. The Jacuzzi in the jalapa was a definite plus. The restaurant food is good. The complimentary breakfast has a nice assortment to choose from. The lunch was nice as well. They were short-staffed one day at lunch though. One waiter was running around doing almost everything on his own. They also might want to consider expanding the dinner menu to provide more options and working a bit more on the frozen cocktails. Overall though, we were satisfied with the food and felt that we ate very healthy while we were there. I hiked to the waterfalls which was an adventure for sure. I recommend it for anyone who is daring. I saw beautiful birds, butterflies, and flowers while at Xandari. We also visited the goats and chickens on the property. Xandari is a truly beautiful place. This was certainly a vacation to remember.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kstan2000
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a most beautiful visit at Xandari Resort where we stayed for our anniversary. From our arrival at the airport where we were greeted by the hotel's transportation service provider, to our welcome at at the hotel, our lovely spacious villa, the cuisine and staff at the terrace restaurant with stunning views of the valley, the spa, absolutely gorgeous, lush tropical gardens, the architecture ... all a most fabulous and memorable experience ... one that we definitely needed. We'll certainly return to the beauty and serenity of this jewel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marvam106
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

From the moment you arrive to this hidden zen like resort you are transformed. Appreciation and relaxation take over. The staff are "your friends"the quiet is meditative and the abundance of nature engulfs you. The foods you see in the gardens and the fruits in the garden become your meals, literally made for you they fresh and authentic. Spend time at the pools then head to the spa, Konrad and his staff will have you blissed on no time. You will leave xandari blessed~ knowing you must return. For all those that have touched your life from arrival to departure be it a moment or an hour, or be it the doggies, the orange trees, the art work etc... It is the xandari life and it embraces you with it's magic.

• Stayed October 2013
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Please note: This is our first year posting reviews. We went to Costa Rica a year ago (May), but the entire staff at Xandari Resort and Spa created so many wonderful memories for us, we have to give them the 5-star review that they all worked so hard for. Xandari is a full-service resort with a warm, down-to Earth personality and authentic Costa Rican style. It’s like spending the night in a botanical garden.

The vast grounds, lush with tropical plants and colorful flowers are gorgeous! Located in the countryside, on a hill above the city of Alejuela, it’s surrounded by small family farms. Ideal for travellers who wish to experience the beauty and spirit of central Costa Rica hill country, not a Miami high rise hotel—this is a fine choice for responsible/green travel.

The open-air restaurant is flanked by tropical wildflowers and looks out over the beautiful, sprawling hillside with Alejuela in the distance. It’s super-romantic at night. The food is delicious! Fresh, organic, most grown right on the premises. Portions are neither too big nor too small and highly satisfying. The included breakfast is a treat! A generous and high-quality offering of homemade breads, perfectly ripened fresh tropical fruits and more! Additional breakfast-food items are also available for a reasonable fee. Service in the restaurant is friendly, and attentive.

The rooms are as clean and well appointed, as they are huge! Private patio is great for relaxing.

We thoroughly enjoyed the spa, the hiking trails, and the 3 sparkling pools.

The front desk and office staff consistently demonstrated a saint-like patience, by giving their full attention to every guest and every request.

A large variety of day tours are offered. They did an incredible job of arranging and personalizing quality day tours. We had signed up ahead for a half-day tour to Poas Volcano, and that morning, 3 other Xandari guests also signed up. Xandari then split the cost of the tour equally per person amongst the 5 of us, which considerably reduced the cost per person, and delighted all involved.

Xandari is a paradise for nature lovers & aspiring bird watchers in search of quiet opportunities and relaxation. In the morning a variety of beautiful birds visit fruit feeding platforms just beyond the restaurant. The on-site birding program is not to be missed. Stroll the grounds, hike the on-site trails, you’ll add to your check list.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike-and-Lis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Peace Lodge
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bajos del Toro
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,283 reviews
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!