“Forest Oasis”

Xandari Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 24 December 2013

With only one night to spend in Costa Rica, I chose to stay at Xandari Resort and I was amazed by the natural beauty of the property. Fresh food, spectacular views, and adventurous hikes will leave you breathless. Great service, highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JetsetDan2013

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Beautiful landscaped hotel.

Pros:
* We had our own private bungalow with terrace and pool right next door.
* The rooms are clean, the bedding allergen free.
* The restaurant is great. They make and grow their own food so can take allergies into account).
* The walk to the waterfalls is recommended.
* The views are beautiful.
* The staff is very helpful.

Take into account:
* We went early December and it gets cold. There is no heat (or AC) in the room and it got cold at night (50F). Make sure to take layers.
* The pool and hot tub were cold. Hot tub temperature was only 90F.
* The whole room was glass and there are no window treatments so we woke up very early with the sunrise.
* You will be far away from shopping and there is no store to buy snacks etc. The hotel room comes with free fruit, juice and water. There is beer and wine in the room (which cost a little more).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Allergictraveller
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My room was spacious and luxurious. The views of the central valley are unparalleled. The grounds are beautiful - the waterfalls are worth the hike. It's a very green hotel, they grow most of their own fruits, veggies, and have chickens for eggs. The decor is classic Latin american. love it!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I went here as part of a ladies retreat and it was perfect. I had a bad back and had a reflexology massage and it worked wonderfully. The food at the restaurant was great and the view was amazing. Highly recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deb C
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Whilst I had 6 hour layover, I decided to relax @ Xandari Spa. Everything was amazing there! From the nicely trimmed landscape to the beautiful restaurant over looking the countryside while beautiful butterflies & exotic birds fluttered around. However, the spa hut was the cream of the crop. I got my own private hut with a open jacuzzi which also overlooked the countryside. Although it was out in the open, I felt it was completely private and safe. The massage was just simply divine and not to mention the staff were just so accommodating and friendly. Thank you for giving me a great head start on my vacation! This is what I imagine what a paradise getaway should be!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tila-theTraveler
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The prior reviewer stole a lot of my thunder thankfully, saving me from a lot of typing! I second every one of his positive comments and agree that Xandari is an absolute treasure that should be experienced first hand. I do, however, have a couple recommendations for those visiting this beautiful resort to hopefully maximize the experience.
1. Bring binoculars..... the view is fabulous from a far but just as intriguing through binoculars.
2. Bring a warm sweater or jacket, the breeze at night has a chill and the rooms don't have heat
3. Buy wine/spirits at the Duty Free shop in SJO airport, the patio is paradise with a glass of wine!
4. Don't miss the spa. My husband described his massage with Conrad as the most amazing massage of his life! (He went back 2 nights later and had another massage with Conrad!)
5. Bring bug spray, they're really not bad but you'll need it on the trails down to the waterfalls and on the patio at night.
6. Go with peace and relaxation in mind. Costa Rica is filled with kind, happy, soft spoken and peaceful people.
7. You will not need Colon while you're there.....the dollar is accepted EVERYWHERE!
8. If you can afford it, go for a higher grade room. We stayed in #5 and #16. Room #5 had a slightly wider view than 16 and was a stand alone. The balcony was bigger on #5 and it had a radio/CD player which we thoroughly enjoyed.
9. Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper. The rain banging on the roof kept my husband awake and the country has tons of noisy scooters that seemed to only come out when we were trying to go to sleep. (Only reason sleep quality was only a 4-star)
I'd also like to speak to a couple of the negative comments posted by previous reviews that initially gave me pause when planning this trip. (So, so, so lucky I trusted the majority of reviewers!)
1. The artwork around the property and in the rooms can only be described as happy and fits perfectly with it's glorious surroundings.
2. The complimentary continental breakfast is more than adequate and if you require a "hot meal" treat yourself to the eggs or pancakes which are beyond reasonably priced.
3. Not worth the price- Where else can you get an 600+ sq/ft villa with hypnotic views and endless up close and personal interaction with nature for this price????
4. Food: You're in Costa Rica..... not Texas.... Take advantage of the fresh fish and heavenly fruits. The SO FRESH Xandari salad with the citrus vinaigrette dressing was sublime!
5. If you were bored on this property it would simply mean one of the following; the inability to totally relax, laziness or incurable boredom!
In summary Xandari is an immaculate property both inside and out that can't be described. Don't think twice about treating yourself to this slice of heaven. The staff and owners obviously put a lot of thought into the details and thrive on making the guests happy. (By the way, I would have given the rooms 5-stars but I thought the inside seating, especially the couch was very uncomfortable) If you're expecting the plushness and amenities of a 5-star Ritz Carlton, don't come to Xandari because you'll totally miss the point.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms down by the spa are far from reception/restaurant, some may prefer that but we lik...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveladdictjr
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I visited Costa Rica for the first time and stayed at Xandari Resort in October 2013, primarily based on previous TA reviews. I was not disappointed at all, and if anything, Xandari exceeded my already high expectations. I stayed at Xandari for 8 nights at the beginning of my trip (villa #16), and then another 4 nights at the end of my trip (villa #7)...pure heaven both stays! The views of the Central Valley (Alajuela and volcanoes in the distance) from the private patios were amazing, and I could have happily spent my entire vacation just sitting out there.

However, there were so many activities and places to see in the area, that most days were spent exploring, both on foot and by car. The hiking in the hills right at Xandari was incredible, and the waterfalls on the property were definitely worth the hikes I did each day. By car, I visited the Zoo Ave in nearby Alajuela, did the coffee plantation tour at Doka Estates, experienced the zip line canopy tour near Volcan Poas, visited the actual Volcan Poas and hiked the trails there, and went to the very large farmer's market on Saturday in Alajuela. All of the activities above I consider to be a must-see!

The transportation provider for Xandari (William) was excellent, and became my primary mode of transportation even when staying elsewhere in Costa Rica on my trip - I highly recommend, as William was dependable and an excellent guide as well. The restaurant at Xandari was fantastic, with great whole foods, many of which were grown right on the property. And last but not least, the staff was amazing, from Alex, Juan, Christian, Carol, and others (hope I spelled all names correctly!), they made both of my stays memorable ones, and made me feel so at home at Xandari. When I return to Costa Rica, Xandari will hold a permanent place on my itinerary!!

Room Tip: I have only stayed in villas #16 and #7 so far, but both were excellent and unique in their own ways...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
4 mi away
Hotel Buena Vista
Hotel Buena Vista
#1 of 1 in Pilas
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
Hotel La Rosa de America
Hotel La Rosa de America
#4 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!