Hotel Aeropuerto Costa Rica
US$76
US$71
US$70
US$56
All reviewsclose to the airportorange taxisan josecosta ricaindustrial areahotel payswater pressurefree taxicevichenice gardenon site restaurantrice and beansa great place to staylast nightlate flightrooms are spaciousair conditioning
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is a family operated hotel close to the airport in Alajuela. I prefer to stay in hotels that are actually run by people in that country. This is not a US chain hotel. If you are looking for a US hotel chain, stay in the US. This hotel is an older hotel with recent upgrades to the restaurant. I have been staying here since the early 2000's and have seen improvements made throughout the years. It has an open air lobby that is very pleasant when the breeze blows through. Like all hotels located near the highway, it has highway noise. The grounds are very lush with many plants and birds. The staff work very hard to make this hotel a pleasant place to stay. It is not a luxury hotel, so if you want one of those, stay somewhere else. The price for this hotel is inexpensive considering how close to the airport it is. I have stayed here up to 3 weeks at a time and the staff have always made me feel like part of the family. The food in the restaurant was really good. The only drawback is there are no grocery stores or restaurants close to the hotel.
I know the owners and they have always helped me with anything I needed. Once I needed some aspirin, and the owner took me to the local pharmacy to get some. This hotel is located close to a bus line that runs into Alajuela, just ask the owners to show you where to catch the bus. It is cheaper(20 cents) to ride the bus to town than a taxi ( about $6-$8), if you have the time.
Costa Rica is a humid country. Sometimes when the rooms are closed up, they tend to feel a little damp, especially after a shower. The rooms are air conditioned, and there is hot water. One reviewer complained of black mold in the bathrooms. They are not "Covered" in black mold. One reviewer complained of the lack of a breakfast for early departing guest. The breakfast provided starts at 6 am.It is very good, consisting of fresh fruit, gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, juice, plantains, toast and cereal. It is a full meal by itself. Many flights leave the airport at 6 am meaning you get to the airport at 4 am. I don't think the hotel should be held responsible for feeding you just because you have to leave early. The airport has restaurants open early and you can always purchase fruit to bring with you. Overall this is a very good place to stay and especially if you are flying out the next day.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are carpeted, rooms downstairs are tiled. Upstairs has less air conditioning noise. Further back is usually better for less road noise. This hotel is usually used for flying out the next day, so there is noise of people leaving very early in the morning.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jack D
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This hotel was okay. I recommend it if you are just staying one night before you leave for the airport, which I did. It is about 10 mins from the airport and offers a free shuttle! The hotel is clean but it's a little dated. The breakfast was complimentary and good and the staff was very helpful. I don't recommend staying here if you are looking to spend time in San Jose. It costs $30 to cab to San Jose and there is nothing to do around the hotel. For my purposes it was exactly what I needed but i would have been disappointed if I booked the hotel for my entire trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed overnight due to an early flight back to Canada. Extremely clean and comfortable.

The restaurant chef really puts a fantastic meal together. Excellent menu choices and nicely prepared.

Use the orange taxi service from the airport as this hotel picks up the tab. They will also arrange a free shuttle to the airport.

Highly recommend this hotel....next time I will stay longer.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank jenwin67
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This place seemed the best of our options based on pricing and reviews. I will say, it was very close the the airport, and it only took the shuttle they provide, 6 mintues to get there. The shuttle runs every half an hour, which is great. The restaurant that is attached to the hotel is FANTASTIC. It had some of the best food we had eaten on our entire trip. We ordered the chicken fingers for my toddler, and went with the traditional Casados for us. They actually seasoned their meat really well... which we didnt find most places did, for whatever reason. The chicken fingers were clearly made right there, no frozen fingers... I still think about them! The staff is friendly, and we actually purchased quite a bit of stuff from their tiny 'gift shop'. They were a little better priced here than other places (a pen was $4, as apposed to $5 every where else we'd seen). The room was spacious, and there was cable tv.
And now, the bad... our flight was very early and they refused to provide us with any breakfast, not even a bagged breakfast to go. I asked if they could provide us with some bannans to take with us, and they said no! We specifically chose a place that had breakfast because we KNEW we had an early flight. Many international flights leave at 7am, so that mean most or many of the travelers are leaving by 5am to get there... if they are an airport serving hotel, I don't understand why they don't account for this. We stayed at a similar concept place in Peru, and they provided a bagged breakfast for us with bread, cheese, a boiled egg and a bannana. It's not fancy, but it's something at least, especially when flights there days only give you pretzels!
The other issue... the BATHROOM! It was COVERED in black mold, even the walls. I don't know how great the breathability would be if you stayed in those rooms more than a night.

Room Tip: If you have an early flight, stop by a supermarket or something before you get here... there's nothing around to walk to, you're kind of in the middle of no where.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We travel a lot and this was our second time in Costa Rica. This hotel was terrible. The rooms (we switched rooms) smelled very bad, the tub was rusty and dirty, we had a safe in the room very rusty. The pictures on the site are very misleading. Internet only works if you are in the lobby not in the rooms. It is better to pay a little more and stay at a chain hotel!! Very bad experience. We were glad we arrived there late and left very early because we couldn't wait to leave this place. I wrote a review for them and sent them two e-mails about this place and never heard back from them. Never had to do this in 40 years of traveling.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this place.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family