The Pura Vida was the perfect place to spend our first night in Costa Rica. We stayed in the Toucan Casita and had plenty of room. There was a living room and a bedroom with 2 twin beds and a queen and our family of 4 was very comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean with fresh flowers and had every convenience you might need (hair drier, fridge, etc.). Berni (the owner) did everything possible to make us feel at home, including providing a snack when we arrived late and hadn't had much dinner.
The breakfast was included and was one of the nicest breakfasts we had in Costa Rica, with fresh fruit, yogurt, toast and more. The gardens on the property are beautiful.
We would highly recommend the Pura Vida for your first night. It's conveniently close to the San Jose airport, and a great place to start (or end) your trip to Costa Rica.
In the interests of full disclosure, here are the negatives we found about the Pura Vida (and these were really very, very minor and in no way should prevent you from staying there):
- There is some noise from the surrounding streets, including some traffic and roosters in the morning. Obviously you are in a city and there isn't much that can be done about this.
- The curtains in our room were made from very thin fabric. They didn't do much to keep out the light in the morning. We had to be up early anyways so it wasn't a big deal at all.
- The owners have 3 large german shepard dogs that sometimes wander around the property. The dogs were very well behaved and our kids enjoyed petting them. So this was not a negative for us at all. But I mention it for others who might have allergies or fear of dogs.
Again, we very much enjoyed our night at the Pura Vida. Berni does a great job of making everyone feel at home. Also, Berni helped us arrange a car and driver who we used for 3 days (Alajuela to Arenal, Monte Verde to Manuel Antonio and Manuel Antonio back to San Jose). Sterling (the driver) was FANTASTIC and I'd highly recommend him. He provided a 10 person air-conditioned van and was happy to stop anywhere we wanted to visit. He spoke both Spanish and English, and was very knowledgeable about Costa Rica. If you need a car and driver, just ask Berni and he can set it up for you. Berni also provided some advice on what to visit during our drives. He made planning our trip a lot easier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pura Vida Hotel is located 4km north of the SJO International airport - we provide a free taxi pickup for international arrivals. Breakfast is included and an excellent dinner is available with reservations (or late meals for late arrivals). Touring services include car rentals delivered here, private vans and as much touring advice as you wish - we are experts on Costa Rica. We have arrangements with Toyota Car Rental for deals on car rentals. Our idea is simply that this is a place we would like to stay at when we travel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Pura Vida Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pura Vida Alajuela
- Hotel Pura Vida
- Pura Vida Hotel Costa Rica/Alajuela