“Another Great Stay”

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Alajuela
Mississauga, Canada
“Another Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

I was more than happy to stay at La Rosa de America for the second time this year, this time as an impromptu visit when my stay in Panama ran into difficulties. Again, the reply to my e-mail was prompt, and they were able to accommodate even more impromptu changes to my itinerary. A ride was arranged to pick me up at the airport, and it was a great pleasure to meet up with Andre again whom I met on my first trip out in the late spring. There is something comforting about seeing your name on a sign and knowing that someone is there for you, knows where they are going, and speaks the language :)
The hotel itself is close to the airport, but once you go through the gate, you feel like you are miles away from anything. The expansive grounds are beautifully kept, full of birds and flowers and even the odd squirrel. Due to hotel logistics, I was placed in the family suite, so there was more than enough room for me to swing a few cats. Coffee most mornings served outside the reception area is a nice touch, I even ventured over in my old lady night shirt so I could feel as I do at home when I drink numerous cups of coffee or tea before breakfast, while reading the paper or catching up on the world via my computer. Breakfast was plentiful and hot - scrambled eggs, cheese, papaya, banana, pineapple, watermelon, juice, cereals, and the best banana bread I have ever had (sorry, Mom!).
Grisska and Amanda are two of the most exuberant yet professional manager/front office staff I have met in all my travels. From arranging taxis to ordering food delivery and anything else in between, they are bright, friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much for them to do for you.
I was privileged to meet owner Robert, a wealth of information, and fascinating to talk to. Because of him, I was able to visit the ARA project, which breeds great green and scarlet macaws for release into the wild, as well as acts as a rehab centre for the same. The people that staff the centre are wonderful, and a breath of fresh air from the usual canned tours and sites I have seen. A definite worthwhile excursion.
I travel extensively alone, so have come to rely on hiring private guides, and the tour company employed by La Rosa, Zamar 2000 is happy to oblige. Their guides took good care of me, whether they picked me up at the airport (thanks, Andre!) or took me to see yet another volcano (I have a thing for volcanoes, and thanks, Leffer (sp?)!). They certainly do not personify the crazy Central American drivers I have heard about (and experienced, elsewhere), at least not during business hours :) Professional, friendly and courteous.
I would never stay at a regular "airport" hotel with places like La Rosa around. It is a marvelous jump off point to Costa Rica, and is also a place to chill out and explore the local surroundings. Highly recommended, hope to return sooner than later.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank nomadnurse
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
Thank you very much for your thorough submission to this forum. It was a pleasure to both host you and to talk to you in person about your adventures in Panama and here!
I personally am glad you enjoyed your visit to the Ara Project, our new sponsor/donation project for the protection of the Green (and Scarlet) Macaws. We feel that this is a great cause, and one that ultimately will benefit future guests by enriching the jungle with greater numbers of these endangered birds.
We appreciate the recognition you give to our staff. They have been extensively trained to relate to guests from many different countries and it is very satisfying for both staff and Ownership to receive this recognition! The teamwork, problem solving capability, and overall friendliness of all our staff is a key facet to our success as a hotel.
We will also pass on your comments regarding our service suppliers. Each one is hand picked by the hotel for their abilities and track record. We appreciate knowing that they are doing a good job as well!
Finally, thank you for choosing to stay with us for the main part of your trip in Costa Rica! It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to you getting bored of your upcoming winter and coming to visit again!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Ra'anana, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

we were a couple who stayed there at the begining and the end of our trip.
the rooms are clean, the breakfest is good and traditional and the help at the front desk is done without much effort from us. they helped us find our next hotel, transportation to the rental company and to the airport.
the hotel's location is 10 minutes drive from the international airport. it's not in San Jose because we didn't want to be in the city and the location was great - all green, very quiet but still very close to everything

1 Thank Paz M
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
It was our pleasure to help you with the smaller details of your trip! Thank you for the trust you placed in our opinions! We hope that you had just as good a trip in the rest of Costa Rica as you did staying with us! It is so far to come from Israel!
Thanks again for your glowing review of La Rosa! We hope to host you again if you are ever in this part of the World!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

We felt more like we were staying in someone's home than in a hotel. The grounds are beautifully groomed. The staff is very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you. Working with the hotel online is efficient and pleasant. We were so comfortable there we came back a night early to relax before going home. We will go back to Costa Rica and will stay there again. Not luxurious rooms or furnishings, but very clean and well kept up. Glad we had pickup at the airport, else we would never have found it the first time.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne R
We know how valuable your time is when traveling and how many competing things there are to do in Costa Rica. Each vying for your attention. Any guest who changes their trip plans to come back to stay with us a day early is very appreciated! Thank you for letting us know!
We have worked hard in the past year to streamline guest online options for booking and it is gratifying to know our new systems are working.
Regarding the room furnishings, we are systematically upgrading all our rooms and in fact have just contracted for a very large order of handmade local hardwood furniture from Sarchi - in our opinion the best qualified woodworkers in Costa Rica. This furniture is due for delivery actually tomorrow ( Oct 3rd) and will be installed in a number of our rooms over the following week. Also we are doing major renovations of two more cabins including our handicap room. We hope to have all this work done before the coming high season.
We are glad you found our airport transfer service professional and hassle free! We agree - it is vastly preferable to be met at the airport exit by a fellow holding a sign with your name on it! We are working on improving both our road signage and our online maps. It is very difficult as Costa Rica does not have laws to protect these signs. Hopefully soon!
Thank you for your stay. We are very glad you enjoyed yourself and we hope to see you again soon!
Malibu, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed here for two days at the beginning of a one month trip to Costa Rica then two days before returning home. The grounds are stunning. I stayed in two different cottages. The first was rustic, but perfectly comfortable. The second stay I had the nicer room, with lovely bathroom, ceiling fan and air-conditioning. Robert, the owner, was there chatting with guests as we had our early morning coffee in rockers on the porch. He was very helpful suggesting places to visit.
The staff was so courteous, friendly and helpful. They allowed me to use the kitchen to microwave food and eat it in the dining room one evening. Breakfasts are substantial. Love the banana bread! The hotel provided a driver to meet me at the airport, and the same driver,Andre, who speaks excellent English, drove me to the city, the country, where ever I wanted to go. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon S
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
It was a pleasure to meet you! It can be a great experience to simply sit outside reception, early in the morning - right beside the coffee pot and talk to guests while dawn breaks!
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our new Superior Rooms! It is always gratifying when someone who has stayed with us as a repeat guest notices the differences! We will be providing continual upgrades to our Standard Rooms as well over the next few months. In fact, two more rooms now have air conditioning since you stayed with us! We are glad you liked the banana bread! The "secret" recipe was obtained over 40 years ago and comes all the way from Singapore!
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your two stays with us this past September! We hope you enjoyed your time in Costa Rica.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I just came back from our one week stay in Costa Rica. We spent our first night in the hotel La Rosa de America as we arrived late and did not want to drive far from the Airport (it is about 20 minutes from the airport). I remember reading that it can be a bit hard to find the hotel and this is true but it can be done and should not keep you from staying there. I had contacted the hotel for directions and we found it (almost) right away. We passed by it first as it was dark and we could not find the sign. A hotel employee waited for us already as we were the last guests arriving that night. The room was beautiful and exceptionally clean. There were even beautiful flowers in a vase in the room. Waking up in the morning, I realized that the grounds were beautiful, too. From 6am, there is complementary coffee outside the reception so that you can have a nice cup of coffee and enjoy the garden and all the animals. The breakfast was yummy with fresh fruit, juice, bread, eggs, etc. and gave us a great start for the day. We did not use the pool but it looked as nice and clean as the rest of the property. The lady at the reception was very kind and provided us a map with the best route to La Fortuna, our next stop. I would go back any time!

2 Thank Michaela1975
Thank you for your review! It was our pleasure to host you. We are glad that you were able to benefit from our driving instructions as it can be difficult to navigate around in Costa Rica. We are making a major effort to get better visibility for Hotel La Rosa through the use of signs, maps left at the car agencies and detailed, printable website instructions. And of course, through direct contact with our reception staff.
Thank you for recognizing the effort the hotel has put into the gardens and our new Superior Rooms. For late arriving guests such as yourself, we strive to achieve exactly what you described! We want guests, who arrive in the darkness, to wake up to a cornucopia of colours, flowers, tropical birds etc and then go for a morning stroll in the gardens with their coffee cup!
Thank you again for taking the time to write your great review of our hotel and for letting us know we are providing the service you were hoping for from an airport hotel.
ZEPHYRHILLS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Hotel La Rosa de America is the perfect private, quiet little Getaway in the San Jose - Central Valley area of Costa Rica !! We have just returned from our first visit to Costa Rica........but definitely NOT our last!! The rooms are all private "cabinas" with just two to a building, arranged around a gorgeous crystal clear pool!! The grounds are manicured by a gardener who obviously takes a lot of pride in his work!! The rooms are comfortable and very clean, Every morning we were treated to a yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs, fresh meats, "queso blanco", platters of freshly cut fruit (pineapple, papaya, watermelon, bananas and strawberries), fresh orange juice, banana bread, choice of cereals AND the best coffee I have EVER tasted in my life! The coffee is fresh from the local Doka coffee plantation, which we visited while we were in CR. Although the staff are all local Costa Ricans and some spoke limited English they always made a great effort to speak English as much as possible while I was struggling with my very rusty high school Spanish.....but we all had fun with each other's language and I am proud to say I was able to order our meals in Spanish by the time we left!! The two ladies in the office, Grizzka and Amanda, and the young man, Rueban, were extremely helpful in helping us arrange for several day trips as well as information about local sites, restaurants (aka: Sodas) , buses and bank info. Jessica even did our laundry for us several times for a very modest fee. Staying here for the entire two weeks we visited Costa Rica was by far the wisest decision for us newcomers to Costa Rica.....and we are already planning our next visit to return to Hotel La Rosa de America !!!

Room Tip: choose one of the newly updated Superior rooms with A/C.....
1 Thank davpatfl
It was a pleasure to meet you and to host you at La Rosa! Please accept my apologies for leaving without saying goodbye! Having a four am departure to the airport is my excuse!
We enjoy our long stay guests very much. We have been putting a lot of effort into re-designing La Rosa to be more of a boutique resort with unsurpassed service. In part, it is because we believe that there is so much to do and see in the Central Valley that guests can easily stay a week or more without ever getting bored!
It was our pleasure to not only assist you in your trip plans once in Costa Rica, but also to provide assistance in your hotel transfer when your originally booked hotel failed to be able to host you. Thank you for placing your trust in us and allowing your reservation to be transferred to a hotel that you had not initially planned to stay at. We are proud to have met your expectations and to have made new friends! You are of course most welcome to come visit us again as soon as you return to Costa Rica!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed here as a start and finish for my Costa Rica trip. I got in late the first night and left early the last day. The staff was extremely helpful and made the proper accommodations even outside of normal hours, where they packed me a "to go" breakfast for me since I left before the kitchen opened. Rooms were great and clean.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Justin C
We appreciate being chosen as your "bookends" for your Costa Rica vacation! Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your positive experiences at La Rosa. Though you were not at the hotel a long time, we are glad that you found our services to be as you hoped and expected they would be! We are happy to have been of service!