“We loved our second stay here as much as the first!”

Hotel La Rosa de America
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 29 June 2013

For two years in a row, we've made this hotel our last stop before heading home. The grounds are lovely, the dinner was fantastic, and the banana bread is yummy. Our room was so big it fit our family of 5 with a bed to spare!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank TexasTravelGirl48
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

The loyalty of our repeat guests is extremely valuable to us. Thank you for both your very positive review of La Rosa, and also for your repeat business! We are glad that you were able to use our increasing service options including our Restaurante La Rosa. Your positive feedback about your meal experiences are especially valuable as this is a fairly new venture for us and as such every bit of guest feedback is of great importance.
We hope that the rest of your trip was as enjoyable as your time at La Rosa and that we will see you again soon in Costa Rica!
Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Hotel La Rosa de America

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We flew in late to Costa Rica and booked this fairly last minute. We arrived after 10:30pm and left by 11am the next morning. This place was very quiet and very clean. Great pool! I wish we could have stayed here longer. The staff was very friendly and very helpful when we had questions about where to go, etc. Great place!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was more than we needed. More beds than needed and more space than needed. Not...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julie U
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

It was a pleasure having you stay with us! Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed the pool so much. It has recently undergone a major service repair and is now just returning to it's original state.
No problem with the room upgrade. If we have the available space we do try to automatically bump guests to a higher quality room free of additional cost. Normally the Family Suites do cost significantly more, but that is also due to the increased number of guests usually renting a Family Suite. (thus the extra beds) We are glad that you enjoyed your large room!
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

This charming jungle/garden hotel is 3,000 feet above sea level, making it cool in the evenings and comfortable during the day. The rooms are situated in bungalows and are well-appointed and very clean. The breakfast is very substantial and filling, and was the perfect fare following a hard travel day and in preparation for the-day of travel we were facing. But more importantly, the staff was extremely helpful and the front desk had USD for travelers returning to the states who were trying to get rid of their colones. The gardener was eager to show us the mango tree and the flowers in the lush tropical garden.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quite nice and situated conveniently around the property.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sharon k

We appreciate your review! It was no trouble at all to provide exchange services for your colones. We understand that the local currency, not being internationally traded has no real value outside Costa Rica. However, for us, it is the preferred currency!
We are glad that you found our services and staff dedication to your satisfaction! We work hard to try to make all guests feel at home and we very much appreciate it when we get feedback such as yours! It lets us know that we are getting it right!!
Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you in Costa Rica again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Like many people, the allure of Alajuela is its proximity to the airport while still being close to San Jose.

The hotel is a wonderful and warm place, like a home more than a hotel.

I had the feeling of really being welcome, and if a hotel is not just its beds and furniture (and it never is) this place was as good as anywhere I have stayed or any hotel I have reviewed.

Finally, I would like to thank the manager, Grisska, for her kindness when I needed to leave a bit early because of a small medical problem. She would have been justified to charge me given the conditions of the reservation, but she simply let me leave early without penalty.

I would recommend this hotel without question to anyone and will never return to Alajuela and stay anywhere else.

Paul from Canada

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank seetheworld9
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Thank you for your 5 star review! We fully agree that a solely functional business is not necessarily an understanding nor personable one. Businesses should have a human side as well... not an impersonal call centre. Certainly for my part, living in an ever increasing world of absolutes, driven significantly by the coldness of the computer age.... can be frustrating!

Here at La Rosa we have found that guests searching for peace on a vacation, very much appreciate flexibility and understanding when the need arises and that the "bottom line" is not everything - even in these difficult financial times. Of course, for most normal situations rules exist for everyone's protection but occasionally rules need flexibility to be fair.
You are very welcome, it was our pleasure to help you and we hope that you will plan a new vacation to Costa Rica as soon as you feel ready!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

We stayed here before an early morning flight, and were very pleased. The grounds are exquisitely manicured, creating a little oasis in the bustle of Alajuela. Amanda was very helpful and polite, and arranged for us to have a "to-go" breakfast bag since we were leaving too early for breakfast. The room was clean and nicely furnished, with a firm bed and a nice shower. Dinner in the hotel dining room was simple and tasty, accompanied by a good bottle of wine. The only thing that marred the experience for us was the morning trip to the airport. The hotel had arranged for a taxi to take us. They were on time and got us there, but charged us an exorbitant $20 when I think the fare is normally around $7. This is obviously not the hotel's fault, but they may consider calling a different taxi company less likely to bilk its customers.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelVet61

It was our guests that first named us an Oasis in Costa Rica's Central Valley! We are fortunate to be able to maintain such lush gardens especially through extended dry periods by careful use of water and a small hand dug well on the property.
We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel services including our breakfast to go option and our supper!
Unfortunately taxis the world over do not have a good reputation when dealing with tourists - especially airport taxis. It is why we offer our private transfer service. This service is partially subsidized by the hotel and costs guests $15.00 for up to four passengers. During this high season, the company with whom we contract this service proved unable to keep up with the demand we place on them so we were forced to consider other, more standard alternatives for some of our transfers. Now this situation is being repaired. However, a fair price for a standard local taxi to the airport will be about $15-$18 USD. Taxi service costs, like all expenses in Costa Rica have skyrocketed. It is no longer a cheap country. In fact, the largest focus at Hotel La Rosa currently is attempting to maintain pricing similar to that which we had three to five years ago. We know how important this is for our guests and we will do everything we can to shield tourists from hyper-inflated prices currently being experienced throughout the country.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I can't say enough good things about our stay. After having spent a week in your beautiful country (La Fortuna and Monteverde areas), I can honestly say that your staff were the most helpful and hospitable we encountered (and we met so many wonderful people that is a compliment). Everyone went the extra mile to help, especially when we discovered that some critical documents had been left behind in Monteverde on our last night's stay. Your desk person contacted the hotel and facilitated the arrangements so someone would drive down that night to hand deliver them so flights wouldn't be missed. What a life saver that was!
P.S. The Chofrio was the tastiest meal we had all week!

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hotel de la Rosa de America and will look forward to visiting you in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MimiMomMe

Hearing reviews like yours is very gratifying to our team here as a whole! As Owner, these "online report cards" are both a way that I can judge the changing needs of our guests and prepare for the future but also, and equally important, they provide me an alternate window of opportunity to monitor the performance of my staff. Experiences such as yours under the care of my staff helps to develop trust and confidence between everybody!
Many do not take the time to report exceptional service experiences and we feel that is unfortunate. Thank you for taking the time to do so! I will ensure my staff get to see your report as they take great pride in doing their job well!
Personally I like the Chifrijo meal choice as well!

Reviewed 21 April 2013

If you have kids keep an eye on them because there is no fence around the pool.
Very nice garden. Rueben and Amanda were very pleasant. The food in the restaurant is good. Don't bother going outside to nearby restaurants. $4 for a cappuccino in one restaurant nearby so we returned to La Rosa where the food was nice anyway and quite affordable. We enjoyed the vegetarian options. I would like to see a few more options for vegetarians but what was there was very palatable. So the cook was very good in my opinion; but please a few more options for us. We are %15 of the population- please feed us. But the vego options were good and tasty and quite cheap especially compared with the tokyo-esque prices around the corner.
The garden is really pleasant; the staff nice; Maybe the taxi from the airport ripped us off- it was $20 but we were too tired to hassle for a lower price; I WOULDN'T MIND FINDING OUT THE CORRECT TAXI price- though maybe it was OK. Compared to other capitals it was reasonable I guess. Though to go into San Jose by taxi is $60 return... whoa! So we stayed home where it was pleasant; bathroom clean and spacious; good air con though it is set and I don't think you can adjust the temp. Though to be fair I did not ask about this. It gets too cold quickly and one has to switch it off. However the overhead fan which works well needs to have the light on for it to function. You can't have it on with the light off. However maybe you can and we did not work out how- a minor matter & perhaps we just did not know how; but perhaps also management could make it so that we can have the fan on with the light out at night. Again maybe you can and anyway a minor matter. The bathroom was excellent. Anyone walking past the louvred windows seems very close and you can hear their conversations perhaps a little too clearly; but this would not stop me coming back. Anyway it does not seem to be a problem for most of the rooms. I like the way management appears to care about their hotel. It really is a wonderful garden. Breakfast was generous and edible. The omelette was really good; also the staff speak good English; but I am a believer that this should not be a requirement in any case; you are in a non-English speaking country for goodness sake. Do hotels in Canada, UK, USA, NZ and Australia require that their staff speak Spanish and Japanese? Anyway bien echo La Rosa for ensuring your staff is bilingual; although I don't think they should have to be- its your country and its a Castellano-speaking country. I heard the usual excrutiating attempts to use Spanish from some of the guests e.g. "we are going muy early". The staff good humouredly concealed their amusement as I choked on my frijoles. Good staff. I liked them. I would recommend this hotel to my friends if I had any.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank senorsolomon

Thank you for your review of our airport hotel! Your recognition of our very fair prices for our Restaurant meals is important to us. Costa Rica is a very expensive country and food is no exception. We have tried our very best to ensure our guests are not taken advantage of on top of these inflated prices throughout the country.
Regarding your comments about vegetarian choices, we have approximately 20% of the menu as vegetarian at this time. But please know that many of the other dishes can be prepared without the meat option - next time please feel free to ask! The cooks are happy to be flexible as long as it is possible!
The taxi prices to anywhere in Costa Rica vary significantly based on time of day rates, highly variable traffic and of course the honesty of the taxi driver. That is why we offer a partly hotel subsidized English/Spanish speaking private transfer service for $15. This charge covers up to for people in one vehicle as well a being met in person at the airport arrivals exit if you are entering the country. Taxis will cost between $15 and $18 normally - but like in any country, not all are scrupulously honest.
Again, transfers to San Jose are very expensive because the Intl Airport is not actually located even in the Province of San Jose! It is in Alajuela. It is a 45 min drive to San Jose - or more. Again, La Rosa offers a service to San Jose for $30 return if you wish to sight-see and you are willing to hire the driver as a tour guide once downtown.
We are located in a beautiful climate, year round and so really your observation of not needing air-conditioning is exactly ours as well. However, we recognize that our most northern guests coming down as chilly snowbirds may even find 18 degrees at night to be too warm!!! So we offer our Superior rooms with AC. They are pre-set just like in an office building to optimum temperatures so that they can maintain a constant, level temperature and not create condensation, mold and other negative impacts so common with many hotel rooms in Costa Rica.
We are working on a plan for the eventual replacement of the "Hawaii" style windows. It is a large consideration for us as these windows offer excellent flow through of air, and help give the hotel a fresh, tropical feel. Mostly our guests are very quiet after dark but of course there are exceptions. Our night staff is very responsive to controlling excessive noise but of course, every one's tolerance is different. This we understand and respect. Interestingly it is a major side effect benefit of the air conditioning as most people are no longer able to sleep in complete silence with no "white" noise at all. The a/c units provide this white noise!
We do put an enormous effort into cultural and language training at La Rosa. Thank you for noticing and recognizing this. We invest this time in our employees not just because of the respect for our guests, but also for the respect of our staff. Many have moved on over the years once reaching fluency in English to other careers and jobs that absolutely require English. As a foreign owned hotel in Costa Rica, I feel it is important to give back to the local society in small ways and for many of our young, untrained employees to be given the chance to learn English and be paid at the same time is a dream come true for them.
I am glad you appreciated the efforts of our staff. They are very important to the success of La Rosa! Also we thank you for your desire to recommend our hotel to all your friends! I am sure you have lots!!!