“Eight days of pleasure” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Alajuela
Niantic, Connecticut
“Eight days of pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed eight days at the LaRosa, using it as our travel base. We have traveled and stayed at many places, but this was, without hesitation, the most pleasurable. From the wonderfully helpful staff, to the beautifully quiet surroundings, our room was the Superior with AC and was comfortable, roomy, and cared for each day. We ate every night in the La Rosa restaurant, and enjoyed a broad selection of offerings, both tipico and familiar. Each meal was excellent and priced fairly. Waiter and kitchen staff were always available, providing a friendly and informative atmosphere. Office staff suggested and developed tours for us quickly and efficiently. We were very, very pleased with every aspect of the LaRosa, and intend to return there again on our next trip to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: The Superior room with AC was a good bet, although, with such cool nights, the AC wasn't needed...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Constant J
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Apologies for taking longer than normal to respond to your kind review of our hotel! It was a pleasure for me personally to get to know you during your stay with us. We very much enjoy hosting our longer term guests who use La Rosa as a travelling base to conduct their holiday from.
Your feedback on our restaurant services is also appreciated. We have worked very hard to ensure fair pricing and quality meals for all of the over one hundred different cultures whom we host yearly! We are glad you enjoyed everything!
We definitely hope to see you back next year! Costa Rica has a lot to see and we can certainly give you more ideas to enjoy!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

During my first trip to Costa Rica, July 2014, I had the opportunity to stay at Hotel La Rosa de America. I received excellent costumer service from all the staff. Specially, from Liliana and Ruben who made me feel home. They were friendly and willing to answer all my question about the hotel and their culture. I enjoy all the amenities of the hotel and the excellent customer service. It was remarkable to see the great team work the employees had.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anais E
Hello Anais E and thank you for your exceptional review of La Rosa! One of our strongest assets is our team of staff and central to our core beliefs is encouraging mutually beneficial teamwork leading to a common goal. We are very appreciative of you recognition of this effort and the team takes great pride in knowing that their work helped you enjoy your stay so much!
Thank you again for your review.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Pros: perhaps the best garden I've ever seen, nice pool, very clean rooms, updated bathrooms, bar and restaurant onsite for pool-side drinks, convenient to airport, comfy beds, small detached one level cottage rooms, Superior rooms have AC - though you don't really need it.

Cons: restaurant food is just ok, wish there was coffee in the room, breakfast starting at 7am is a little later than other places, next door to a working farm so roosters can be a problem if there are light sleepers in the group.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eluvity
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your very clear review of our services! We are especially grateful for your comments about our gardens. We work very hard to blend nature and beauty with a simple night's stay near the airport for the majority of our guests.
We are not including coffee in the rooms in part due to the garden hotel aspect of the premises. We very strictly control the ants and other uninvited guests at La Rosa and unfortunately, the addition of creamers and sugar to the rooms are an open invitation for these pests - especially ants to invade. However, we do ensure that fresh coffee is readily available at the pool area starting at about 6:15 in the morning. We also have recently upgraded our coffee service to include for purchase, espressos, lattes, mochas etc in recognition of guest desires to enjoy our excellent Costa Rican coffees!
The property next to us is actually a simple vacant urban lot. Temporarily, it seems to be hosting some local chickens, but we are working with the community to have these removed as soon as we can.
Thank you again for your review and your kind comments about our hotel!
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Great service, food, and atmosphere. Edwin was fantastic. We stayed there for our first night and enjoyed it so on the return leg of our trip, we booked there again. Felt like we were staying in a more expensive hotel than what we were. They helped us arrange a rental car, too. They have a restaurant and pool. It's about a 10 minute drive to the airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank breyerrose
We work constantly to ensure that our value to guests is as best as it can be. Your recognition of this is very much appreciated through your comments about feeling like you were in a more expensive hotel than you thought.
We hope you had a very enjoyable trip to Costa Rica and thank you for the very positive review!
Santa Monica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great service, delicious food and the location is fantastic... close to the airport and a great stopping point before driving up to the Rain Forest. Love this place! There is a beautiful pool and the grounds are lush and clean. We all felt very safe and welcomed here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank robbiekaye
Thank you for your great review! We are glad that we were so able to meet all your expectations! We hope to see you again in the future soon.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Unfortunately, we did not have a great experience here. Upon arrival the owner (I can only assume as he never spoke to us) was engaged in an interview and without acknowledging us asked his staff to "take care of that outside', "that" referring to the checking in of a guest at his hotel. The second day he was at the reception desk when I went in to arrange a taxi and again did not say hello or even look at me. The following day when we were checking out he was in the reception area and didn't speak to me, say hello or ask how our stay was. I found it odd that he spent hours doing an interview talking about how wonderful his hotel was but showed no interest in a guest who had actually paid to come to his hotel. Fortunately, the staff were all wonderful! The hotel offers a chocolate and almond oil massage and it is well worth the $75.00! Many of the rooms have limited privacy, if you open your curtains anyone walking by or sitting at the pool can see into your room. There is wifi available in the rooms. The gardens are beautiful, however, the garbage piled up just inside the gate is the first smell you are greeted with. The food was mediocre and the bruschetta we ordered provided each of us with one piece. The reasons we chose the hotel was because we were told the tour we wanted would pick us up at our hotel and that was not the case, we had to take a taxi (at our expense) to another hotel where we would meet the bus for the tour. The hotel is close to the airport (about 15 minutes) but the area itself is sketchy. Overall I would not go back there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Momtomany225
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I am shocked that you felt that the Hotel Ownership was systematically ignoring you. Please understand that this was not at all intentional or representative of any policy or custom at the hotel regarding guest relations. As the Owner of La Rosa personally responding to your TA review, I would like to take this opportunity to both assuage your feelings of being personally ignored by me, apologize for any potential impropriety and to confirm that this was not an intentional act. However, please understand that with over 10,000 guests per year at La Rosa, I am sometimes unable to personally greet every person during their stay.
La Rosa has a very strong policy of developing our staff to the maximum of their capability. I thank you for your recognition of this service capacity in our staff. The Hotel Ownership has developed a close bond and a trust relationship with the Hotel Staff... in particular our key staff that are bilingual and are expected to provide primary hospitality, meaningful assistance and services to our guests. As Owner, I rely heavily on their capability, friendliness and professionalism to help us meet all our guest's needs.
It is true that I was significantly preoccupied with a film crew at La Rosa during your stay. I relied on the highly trained La Rosa staff to conduct day to day operations and as you indicated, they did a terrific job. Please understand that in no way was I, as Owner, sacrificing your stay for personal glory in front of a camera. In fact, we were supporting an independent film company from Quebec, Canada in their efforts to create a travel documentary on Costa Rica - not specifically Hotel La Rosa de America. It is true that they shot hours of film at La Rosa - mostly to be used as background shots and background information for their documentary. For both La Rosa staff and I, we feel great pride to have been chosen as a flagship destination hotel within such a beautiful country and if we can assist Costa Rica with increased tourism from around the world, then we feel honoured to help.
I do not understand why you felt that the hotel provided tours directly from our gate when we wrote twice to you in emails indicating that we would be happy to offer free assistance in your desire to take a specific independent tour but that you would have to take a short taxi ride to a competitor hotel. The hotel was just down the street where the tour started, due to the tour company policy, not ours. These emails were sent and received well before our cancellation policy would have taken effect if you had desired to switch to a different hotel. If in fact the tour company informed you differently, then you were misled and I would strongly suggest you file a complaint with them as they are a major and completely independent company from La Rosa.
The garbage situation was a result of our numerous mango trees dumping thousands of mangoes over a two week period that our gardener dutifully picks up so guests don't slip on them. The municipal waste removal for which we pay, failed to remove the bags of mangoes for the week and so we were left with a much larger than normal pile in our storage area.
If at some point I was brusque when you arrived, please accept that I am not used to being on camera and I personally was not expecting your arrival almost four hours ahead of our check in time. I do note in hindsight that you had indicated you would be arriving earlier and our response was yes as long as you were understanding about hotel cleaning and preparation needs. We had no problem with your early arrival and I do believe our staff prepared your room as early as they could. I hope you felt this service to be satisfactory.
Please know that at any time you could have requested to talk to the Hotel Owner, even if just for a social moment! I do get this request frequently and very much enjoy the opportunity to talk to interesting people around the world. During your stay in fact I talked to a guest for two hours from Los Angles and in the process met her brother who lived just down the street! Also, as Owner, I take unseen quality control at the hotel very seriously. Shortly after your massage, which I am very glad you enjoyed, I arrived at the hotel even though it was well after supper to question our massage therapist Sharon, on how the treatment was. She indicated all was well and I am glad to see your confirmation of this. Quality from our service providers is very important to us.
Regarding your concern about Restaurante La Rosa, I regret that you found the food only mediocre and would welcome suggestions for improvement. I am at a loss however as to your expectation of the volume of food in an appetizer. Our bruschetta appetizer comes as two baked slices of French style bread with the appropriate topping on an appetizer plate. It is designed to be enjoyed as part of an entire meal. Of course, as a solo dish, it is also enjoyable but as an appetizer it is not designed to replace a main dish - especially if one is sharing it as you indicate.
Finally, La Rosa has been extremely carefully designed to maximize privacy for guests when compared to sleeping in a box chain or compact hotel. Less than 25% of the property has any structure on it. The rest is devoted to our gardens. Without exception, no window looks towards another window and all rooms have quality double layered curtains. That said, your cabin was situated nearest to the pool area with your window approximately seven metres (22 feet) from the edge of the pool deck. If this was too close for you we would have been happy to have moved you to a more secluded area of the hotel - space available. For us, it is very hard to know as in reality, being near to the pool is one of our most popular guest requests! Of course each guest is different.
To sum up, I do thank you for your honest feelings both positive and negative. There is always room for improvement - even for Owners and I will certainly re-read and consider everything that your review has to comment on. Thank you for your submission.
Ouray, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I stayed two days at this wonderful haven in the commotion of the San Jose area. The hotel is small, very clean, quiet, and the staff are attentive and responsing. Edwin runs the dining room and makes you feel welcome. He takes care of the guests and is interested in each person who stays at La Rosa. It is quiet, the grounds are beautiful and it is safe. The pool is clean and in good repair. Very serene environment. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was our pleasure to host you at La Rosa! Thank you for your complimentary review of our hotel. We will pass on your positive comments about our restaurant service to Edwin.
We work very hard to ensure the hotel grounds and overall property are represented as you describe so we appreciate your noticing and taking the time to let others know!
We hope you had a great trip to Costa Rica and we hope to see you again soon.