Hotel La Rosa de America
US$78
US$75
US$136
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbanana breadcosta ricaclose to the airportsan josefamily suitezoo avesuperior roomnice poolrental carbeautiful groundslast nightbunk bedsnext morningceiling fanrooms are smallwould definitely stay here againfresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Hotel La Rosa de America was my favourite place to stay in Costa Rica! They arranged for a taxi to meet me at the airport and drop me off at the hotel, which was only a short ride away. I was greeted at the hotel in a warm and friendly manner by the hotel owner himself. Rob was very helpful and gave me many useful tips and advice about where to stay and what to do during my vacation. I thoroughly enjoyed everything he recommended! The manager, Carlos, was also a very friendly and welcoming person. The cleaners kept the rooms to a very high standard of cleanliness. The hotel is very secure and I felt safe and comfortable throughout my stay despite traveling on my own. The availability of free wireless internet was a great bonus as I could easily get in touch with my family back home and let them know I had arrived safely. The gardens around the hotel are nicely manicured and beautiful. The pool was kept clean and was a nice place to relax in the sun. I recommend that everyone use this as the hotel of choice when arriving or departing Costa Rica or even as a place to stay in between your travels. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank FlashTraveller
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We enjoyed the nice, peaceful grounds of La Rosa and really appreciated the wonderful staff. Robert helped us with our car rental and Carlos was not only a great breakfast host but a great translator to our bus driver as well! We have stayed at more expensive airport-area hotels in the past but not anymore - why pay more when you can get everything you need here?

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank croozinsoozin
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Convenient location to the airport. There is not a lot of tourist activity (i.e., restaurants, sites) within walking distance but a short taxi ride will get you to a variety of activities in Alajuela (Zoo Ave., restaurants). The hotel is on a well maintained property with a nice garden. The rooms are simple and minimalist. Sheets and towels are a bit worn. Rooms have a ceiling fan that provides adequate ventilation at night but not during the day time. Also it makes reaching the top bunk bed awkward. Breakfast service is fine --fruit, cereal and a carrot bread. I found the staff to be nice but not particularly helpful. For example, the car rental quote they were able to give me was double the price of what I was able to get with a simple web search. Similarly, they didn't seem to be able to recommend non-tour options for visiting nearby sights. It was nice to have a pool but the night lights were out during our visit. Overall, the rate was too high for what it offered.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank beatrizsrm
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2009

As a small hotel, with the intent of maintaining 100% guest satisfaction, we take all guest comments very seriously. It is disappointing for us to find a guest that did not enjoy their stay at our hotel as much as we hope they do.
Both the owner and staff of La Rosa are very proud of our reviews both on this site and at other similar sites. However, we can do little to prevent guests from developing their own expectations based on these reviews. We put forth every effort to live up to the reviews other guests have kindly written about our hotel. All we can do is ask any potential guest who may have a concern, to let us know while we can still assist.

With respect to car rentals, we offer this assistance as a free service to help guests obtain a fair price, quality vehicle and good service with no surprises. It is solely for the benefit of the guest and in the past has always proven a positive experience. We have found that almost all internet quotes are incomplete and usually involve significant "hidden" charges when the car is returned. Thus we strive to ensure all taxes, required insurance, fees etc are transparent in any quote and that the quote is competitive. Possibly in the case of this guest, maybe we made an error or perhaps we were not comparing similar vehicles? If this is so, then we wish we had been told so we could make the necessary revisions.

We pride ourselves on assisting guests with their trip plans and we have received much recognition for this free assistance. If for some reason, this guest did not get sufficient assistance from us we sincerely apologize. We have many, many world-class tourist options in the local area and we hate to see people miss them for lack of information. Many of these attractions are itemized on our website. We also maintain tourist books and brochures at the hotel, we draw maps for guests, allow the borrowing of hotel guide books for free, and we will happily book taxi's, give local and countrywide bus info, book day trips or simply offer our opinion if asked!

It is true that the underwater light for the swimming pool was not functional for a couple of weeks. A seeming simple job turned sideways for lack of parts. However, all the sidelights are in good repair and in no way is the serviceability of the pool affected.

We have endeavored to ensure fair pricing for all. The rates have not significantly increased in three years at La Rosa in part due to the many positive online comments left by previous guests that have resulted in increased tourism at our hotel. These rates are among the lowest in the Alajuela and especially in the upscale La Garita area where we are located.

If in the future, this guest would like to stay with us again we would appreciate the opportunity to ensure their stay is more to their satisfaction.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

The rooms here were great. And it is set in a nice suburban neighborhood. Robert helped us with everything from a raft trip to getting us a rental car dropped off. There are plenty of nice little restaurants within walking distance and of course Cherris Bar across the street. This place provided us with a great jump off point to start our Costa Rica adventure.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abtjcrack
Reviewed 29 July 2009

I stayed here for one night in July 2009 prior to my departure from Costa Rica. I chose it based on the reviews at this site. I paid $56 cash There is a discount for paying by cash. The reviews here are correct. This is a very nice hotel. It is a little hard to find, but well worth the effort. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The room was a little small, but served my needs. The breakfast is very good and the atmosphere is very nice. Randy provides excellent, cordial advice about restaurants and activities in the area. I will stay here again when I am lucky enough to make it to Alajuela.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo