I just spent 5 nights at the Pura Vida Spa and loved it! The grounds are gorgeous, the food is delicious and it was so peaceful.
A friend and I stayed in a Vista room, room 201. It was very spacious, had a large balcony with an amazing view of the town below and mountains all around. The shower pressure was wonderful. There is no a/c but the temperature is moderate so the room stayed comfortable. There is no ceiling fan either and we made sure to leave windows open to keep the air circulating (there are screens on the windows so no bugs to worry about).
We were part of a group and many of our friends were staying in A-frame rooms so we saw some of those as well. They also had balconies but the room and balcony were not quite as big as the Vista rooms.
The food was amazing! All meals are included. Breakfast usually consisted of eggs, a wide variety of fresh fruit, several yogurts with various toppings, bread, homemade honey and peanut butter and so on. Lunch and dinner alternated between fish and chicken dishes (the mustard chicken was so good!) and soup, bread, salads, vegetables, grains and more. And each lunch and dinner included a light dessert as well. There was also a cash (or charge to your room) bar for wine, coconut water, wheat grass shots and more. Free coffee, tea, and filtered water was available at all times.
There are various tours available for a fee, all listed on the website. I went on the Waterfall Garden tour and the Skywalk tour. Both were incredible. The Waterfall Garden tour is a half a day through a park, nature center and along a path by the waterfalls. The path is a little bit steep on the way out but nothing too bad. Also in the park is a butterfly garden which was wonderful and a hummingbird garden which was amazing. I would recomend this tour to everyone. The Skywalk tour was a little more challenging but just as wonderful. It is an all day tour. From morning to lunch is a hike through the forest, over five different suspended bridges with the chance to spot all kinds of wildlife along the way. We saw a sloth, many birds and a few brightly colored tree frogs. After lunch is a ride on a pontoon boat down the Rio Tarcoles towards the mouth of the Pacific. Expect to see crocodiles, more birds and possibly an iguana sunning by the river. Our driver and our tour guide (who happened to be the same for both tours) were absolutely wonderful.
In addition to the organized tours a few friends and I arranged to go into town, to Alajuela, one day. Anyone working at the reception desk can help you organize a taxi and give you tips on where to go and how to get back. We visted the Alajuela Cathedral, Central Park and the main market. If you have a sense of adventure I would say to definitely go explore in town a little bit.
I did not participate in any of the yoga classes offered as I was part of a yoga group with our own instructor but I can say that the studio rooms were gorgeous. Large windows with great views, adjustable lighting and ceilings fans, all mats, blocks, etc available.
All in all this was a great place to get away from it all and relax with the opportunities available to explore the countryside a bit. The rooms are comfortable, the food delicious and best of all, the people of Costa Rica were all amazingly warm and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-Class yoga instruction, acres of natural beauty, delicious healthy cuisine and spa services unrivaled in Costa Rica await inside the cloistered walls of this magical retreat. Tropical rain forest, active volcanoes, mountain cloud forests full of rainbows, breathtaking beaches and exhilarating white water rafting beckon the adventurer in you, all within a few hours drive of our eco-chic spa and wellness resort in the world's greenest country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your Pura Vida Retreat & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pura Vida Spa And Yoga Retreat
- Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat Hotel Alajuela
- Pura Vida Wellness Retreat Spa
- Pura Vida Retreat & Spa Costa Rica/Alajuela