NOTE: This review should be for the Retreat, not the Hotel. It is misplaced under the Hotel.
I just got back from Costa Rica, and spent a few days at Pura Vida. I signed up for the 5 day Mind Body Spirit Program, and came to PV after 4 days at another yoga retreat on the Caribbean side (Samasati). Maybe because Samasati was set in a rain forest, I was disappointed when I arrived at PV. Although you can't really get a sense of the size of the space from the website, PV is on the smaller side, and it's hard to find the nooks and crannies (other than my room which had paper thin walls) for the natural relaxation you would expect at a yoga retreat. A bench is tucked in there, or a hammock over there, but I felt like I was on top of people, with nowhere to roam. And if you're coming to Costa Rica, a country known for its interesting outdoor spaces, this predominantly indoor place seems like a waste. The food was fabulous, and my yoga instructor was quite nice. The staff and massage people were great. But after the 2.5 hours of yoga, I was left with 21.5 hours in a cramped space, with a beautiful view of San Jose. But again, the purpose of coming to Costa Rica is to look at the ocean, or the rain forest. Nature. Eating the cost, I left after 3 days, and if you have any travel imagination at all, I would not recommend coming here. If you want to feel like you're in a condo in Florida, you will enjoy the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-Class yoga instruction, acres of natural beauty, delicious healthy cuisine and spa services unrivaled in Costa Rica await inside the cloistered walls of this magical retreat. Tropical rain forest, active volcanoes, mountain cloud forests full of rainbows, breathtaking beaches and exhilarating white water rafting beckon the adventurer in you, all within a few hours drive of our eco-chic spa and wellness resort in the world's greenest country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pura Vida Retreat & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat Hotel Alajuela
- Pura Vida Spa And Yoga Retreat
- Pura Vida Wellness Retreat Spa
- Pura Vida Retreat & Spa Costa Rica/Alajuela