Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
New York, NY
“Meh”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Maybe this sort of hotel just isn't for me. Here's what I liked about it: close to the airport, large rooms, restaurant on-site, and a free airport shuttle.

Here's what I didn't like: for the price Marriott charges their guests, I found it appalling that that they didn't even leave a complimentary bottle or two of water in the room, but you're welcome to allow them to charge you $3 for a medium-sized bottle or $5 for a larger one. You are also welcome to pay $5.50 for a bottle of beer. Let me repeat that: $5.50 for a single bottle of beer.

Now, it may be that although I live in an expensive city like New York, I'm more frugal than others. Fine. I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on an experience like zip-lining or visiting a monkey sanctuary than frivolous items like beer and overpriced water.

While the hotel was beautiful and the room was very comfortable, I have to rate this one very low because I don't like it when companies take advantage of their customers. It's shameful. This was my first and last time staying at a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NYCskydive
GMCYSJOAirport, General Manager at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experience at Courtyard San Jose Airport.
I am certainly disappointed that you have found our prices expensive for beers we are going to review them considering if they were local beers or imported which in most cases have an extra import fees.
Please do accept my apologies and I do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future to demonstrate that we are working in a daily basis taking into consideration the voice of our customers and their feedback to increase satisfaction.
Pura Vida.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
Portland,OR
Reviewed 13 July 2013

After spending 2 spectacular weeks in Arenal and Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica we used the Marriott Courtyard Alajuela for one night for our pre-flight stay before our departure. We booked 2 rooms with 2 queen beds in each room. I wasn't sure what to expect because even though we are Marriott members, I had never been to Costa Rica before and was completely unfamiliar with this particular property. After staying one night at this hotel, I would definitely return and would recommend this hotel to anyone. From the time we checked in until the time we left, the service at this hotel was outstanding. They go above and beyond to make sure that all their guests are happy. Special thanks to Dany who made our stay so pleasant even though we had some issues at dinner time at their onsite restaurant. The property looks new and the rooms are tastefully decorated and very clean. The beds and pillow were so comfortable that everyone in our group commented on how well they slept. They are located in very close proximity to the airport and provide a free shuttle to the airport for guest convenience. Even though the hotel is close to the airport we didn't hear a sound from our room (which was quite a pleasant surprise to me because I thought i'd hear planes every 2 minutes). The hotel has a great breakfast in the morning which our family loved with a variety of things including an omlete station. This particular property also has a very clean, well organized Walmart next door to them within walking distance incase anyone needs to purchase anything. Everything about this hotel was wonderful with the exception of the food at their restaurant in the evening. Our experience at the hotels restaurant at dinner time was unusually aweful so we ended up eating at a restaurant called La Fabbrica Pizzeria in Plaza Real which was only a $5 / 5 minute cab ride away and worth every penny. The food at La Fabbrica was fantastic and we were very happy that even though it was extremely late, we took the effort to go out there. I would definitely recommend anyone that stays at this Marriott take the cab ride over to La Fabbrica and try them out - I don't think you'll be disappointed. Overall our stay at the Marriott Courtyard Alajuela was fantastic. I would recommend them to anyone and our family looks forward to staying with them again. Thank you for everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Daniela C, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments. Reading your comment made my day full of energy and encourages continuing doing our best for every visitor to Costa Rica. I will share with all our staff your comments to motivate them generating great experiences, we really appreciate your feedback.

I am pleased to find out that our interaction was memorable and motivate me to continue delivering my best to every guests in a genuine costarican way.
I want to apologize for the inconvenient that you had at the dinner; we are implementing new techniques, and adding food options to meet and exceed customers’ expectations. We will continue reinforcing procedures and training to verify the quality of our products and services. Please do accept my apologies and I do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future to demonstrate that we are working in a daily basis to improve our services.

Dear guest the places that you mentioned are among the best tourist attractions in Costa Rica, the beautiful hot white sand beach in Manuel Antonio, and the gorgeous Arenal Volcano with the amazing landscapes. I am really glad that you had the opportunity to visit all this stunning places, but also hope you had the chance to visit Costa Rica again.

Pura vida :)
National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed at the hotel for approx one week. Purpose of visit/stay was business. Here's the brief snapshot (in case you want more information about the hotel then do let me know):

Room size: Good
Bathroom: Good, with bathtub
Outside noise: None
Restaurant: Experienced breakfast only due to work timings. Good menu, decent food choices, ofcourse rice and black beans will be there each morning
Cleanliness: Very good
Pool: Yes, but did not use
Location: Several restaurants right in front of the hotel catering to varied cuisines (chinese, sushi, continental, grills etc.). Walmart is little away, there is a mall on the other side of the road - but I did not visit that

Overall a decent place to stay at. I recommend this to everyone and I will prefer staying here next time as well.

San Jose: Nice country, rains a lot so be prepared with clothes and raincoats etc. Narrow roads but traffic is smooth and orderly.
Went for sight seeing tour. Cost $100 per person. Covered coffee plantation, volcano craters and waterfalls - worth it, do try that.

Room Tip: Remember: knowing spanish will really help you in San Jose. Several restaurants across the hotel had...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Daniela C, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detail feedback, it will contribute to the daily commitment for improvement that our team has to exceed guest’s expectations.
Is good to know that you had a great time here with us and your recommendation is magnificent. Actually I want to share with you that Alajuela is a big project in the close future, there will be a lot of new projects and development nearby and constantly expanding such as the new plaza Mango Park just in front of our hotel.

Hope you come back soon and had the chance to schedule more visits to Costa Rica.
Pura Vida :)
Turrialba, Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is a brand new hotel and right next to the San Jose International Airport. The cost was outstanding in comparison to other hotels in the same vicinity. I would highly recommend this hotel for staying a night before leaving on an early flight the next day. The food at the restaurant on site wasn't the greatest and there aren't a lot of places nearby if you don't have a car. So I would suggest either eating before getting to the hotel or seeing if they have improved the quality. The rooms were fantastic. They were clean and very big. The elevator is a bit tricky, you need to use your room key to get it to go. They didn't explain that prior to using it, so be prepared.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for giving us a feedback of our hotel. I will share your comment and recommendation with our Front Desk staff to reinforced the usage of the room key to activate the A/C in the room, it is part of our speech and standards but I will work with them to make sure they are in compliance.

Also, I want to share with you that the new plaza Mango Park is schedule to be open, by the end of November offering a variety of restaurants and options for your convenience. I hope you have had nice memories from Costa Rica and looking forward to see you soon.

Pura Vida,
New York
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Everything you can ask for from a airport hotel. Fast shuttle, clean rooms, great service, free wifi and free breakfast. Ended up staying here on the way home after our first stop there was so good. Heard San Jose was not worth being in for the night so we opted for the comfort and ease of the Marriott to end our trip. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher A
Dear guest,

Thank you so much, I am glad to see your comment, that’s an indication that we are on the right direction with our staff. Is positive to know that your trip in Costa Rica was enjoyable, and for us is pleasure to find out that our guests have chosen our hotel to finalize their visit in Costa Rica and our staff was able to deliver a great experience and memory.

An additional service that our hotel provides is the Departure tax you need to present your passport at the Front Desk and our staff will be delighted to assist you.

We hope you had the chance to visit all these beautiful places around our country, which also may be a special reason to plan your next trip to Costa Rica, we hope to see you soon, our house will be with open arms to receive you and your family.

Daniela C
London, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for the night due to early morning flight. Free shuttle to airport every half hour. Rooms are clean and spacious. Purchased departure tax from front desk. Only thing I did not like was the new carpet smell as it is a brand new hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 314pi
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback, is really nice to know that your stay with us was enjoyable, I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in the room, I will share your comment with our housekeeping team to review and reinforce our cleaning procedures to avoid this to happen again.

I hope you had the opportunity to visit the beauty of our nature and hope you plan to come back and visit us again. Pura Vida,
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

This was the perfect place for us when we had to stay in San Jose airport so that we could be at SJO in the early morning. The place looks beautiful- it is brand new and perfect. The workers were very helpful. There is a gated parking area with a security guard which made us feel safe to leave our rental car there overnight. Another plus is that it is right next door to a Walmart.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Raquel K
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel during your visit to Costa Rica, appreciate you are taking the time to share your experience in our Courtyard. I am really glad to know that all our services helped you have a good experience in Costa Rica.

The Airport shuttle service is a great option and Transportation Management is always looking for opportunities to personalize the experience. Pura Vida :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 78 in San Jose

Been to Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela? Share your experiences!