“excellent”

Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was really impressed how neat and clean the hotel was and the professionalism of the staff. I would rate it 5 star. What was more impressive, was the cost to stay there....very affordable. I couldn't have asked for more! You have me hooked when I visit Costa Rica. I will be a happy customer for life. Pura Vida

Room Tip: Since I have only stayed there for the first time.....I can't comment on which side is better, a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Daniela C, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Scott,

What a magnificent way to begin the morning reading your comment, we are glad and full of joy to know that you will consider us again in your next visit to Costa Rica. I will share your comment with our staff; they appreciate your public recognition. Hope you had the opportunity to visit all the beautiful places around Alajuela in Costa Rica; we will have open arms to receive you and your family during the next visit to our green Costa Rica.

Have a wonderful day,

Pura Vida

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed one night on my way to Spain, nice soft beds, nice, service minded staff, and a good restaurant. Its so close to the airport, you can walk. (They have pickup service.) Nice for a night going out/in to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor, I am glad to know that your stay with us was memorable; our team is looking forward to welcoming you again, for your next stay in Costa Rica try to plan more than one night to visit all the beautiful places around Alajuela such as Poas Volcano and La Paz waterfall.

Once again thank you so much for your feedback, your house will be with open arms to receive you and your family.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Stayed on the night of September 30th. Requested an early check-in for 11am via their booking site, arrived at 11:30am and was let into the room. Clean! Hand-written note from housekeeping, quiet. The view was of the pool below and local housing. Hotel is right off of the highway, so would request this back view if possible to ensure no street noise.

Headed to Wal-Mart next door in the evening, was told by front desk that it was a safe walk and open until 10pm. I passed two security guards on the way and was pleasantly surprised how neat and clean the store was as well. Both buildings seem to be new construction.

Wifi was fast, reliable. TV was clear and had plenty of options for English and Spanish. Plenty of movie channels! Big bottle of water in room for $5.00, drink this instead of the big bottled water in lobby if needed as it's the same price but more ounces.

No restaurants in walking distance but good menu at the hotel restaurant- had portobello avocado mushroom sandwich to-go. Was a very good sandwich but only until room did I discover I did not receive napkins or plasticware. Breakfast was excellent- options galore. Waffle bar, omelet bar, smoothie station, breads, cakes, fruits. Man who made smoothie delivered to my table and ensured it was to my liking, very polite.

Airport shuttle was quick and ready to go- driver polite except seemed to receive a personal phone call on the way. Overall- a great stay minutes from SJO, comfortable, and friendly staff and will stay again when need the comforts of home during a layover.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the pool/local housing in the back of the hotel to avoid possibility of road n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
MarcoQ-GMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and share your review with Trip Advisor readers, is great to see a comment where we as a hotel were able to meet your expectations and deliver the room early in the morning, our front desk and housekeeping staff are willing to assist whenever is possible.
Our building received a SILVER LEED certification and all our staff is working with love to offer and provide service. Thank you for recognizing the quality of our Portobello avocado sandwich and our breakfast buffet options certainly your review motivates us to continue looking for options to improve and deliver the best service. For your convenience the construction in front of our building was finished and is in the process to activate their restaurants and stores, they are schedule to open by November, and it would be a great addition to our hotel to complement our services and providing additional option for our guests.
Thanks for considering our hotel as your HOME this is certainly one of our priorities, thanks for sharing your feeling in your review.
PURA VIDA ;)

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this newer hotel. Free shuttle (currently operates on the hour & half hour), seconds away from the San Jose Santa Maria airport with quiet, comfortable, clean rooms, free internet in lobby for printing board passes & finding good restaurants in San Jose, have food and beverage service on site which was so convenient for us, flexible 'check in" that accommodated our travel schedule. Has pool and exercise area which we were too busy to use.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine B

Dear Christine:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and share your review with Trip Advisor readers it is such a great motivation for our staff when a guest would recommend and plan to come back to stay with us.
The main reason of our business is guest satisfaction and reading your review is helping us to achieve our goal.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Finished our weeklong trip at this Courtyard before we flew out the next morning. Free shuttle to airport. Standard CY with the usual amenities, free WiFi, shuttle, etc. Right next to a Super Walmart for last minute purchases. Not any restaruants close by but we had a shuttle take us to a small restuarant row area in a strip mall. Good place to stay if arriving late in San Jose or leaving early for home. Can pay your departure fees at the Courtyard for $4 premium. Opted not to and there was no line at the airport departure fee area. Also found some liquer prices actually pretty good in the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russell1078

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and share your review with Trip Advisor readers. I would like to share with you the opening of the Plaza Mango Park located across the street in front of our hotel offering various restaurants and convenience stores and more. If you are planning to visit Costa Rica again please come to our hotel and enjoy the newest plaza in Alajuela.
Pura Vida ;)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I couldn't have asked for a better location. The view from my room was the airport and air traffic control tower. Usually I wouldn't want to stay at an airport hotel but I never heard any noise despite being so close.

The hotel is brand new and thus there really isn't any issues to report with cleanliness or broken plumbing. In fact, I've never seen a hotel clean so much during the day.

This Courtyard was superior to the Marriott DFW I recently stayed at. The Courtyard bathroom was modern and had a European flair with frameless glass shower enclosure and large grey tiles used from floor to ceiling. Plumbing overall was great with excellent water pressure.

Breakfast was fast and efficient. Three options guests have are: full buffet $11, half buffet $7, and quick menu items $6. I opted for the healthy menu item which was a spinach (egg whites) omelette, two pieces of Canadian bacon on an english muffin. Unlimited fruit along with coffee or juice is also included in the price.

For $6 it was a great start to a very long day. Even the chef who prepared my meal asked my feedback. The meal was very tasty and the offering had enough variety for the value. Definitely leaps and bounds better than some of the breakfast I've had at other hotels. If I had more time I would have opted for the buffet as it was affordable yet had enough variety.

Hotel staff is very friendly and accomodating. They promptly switch to English when they realize a guest can't speak English. They also called the tour bus company I had arranged to pick me up without hesitation or gentle pressure. All of the staff I had an exchange with could speak English which is a huge plus of the Spanish challenged.

The hotel gym was adequate and had enough machines. Space could be an issue if more than 4 people are in there at one time. The machines are brand new and each cardio equipment has their own lcd screen.

The AC in the room was excellent. After turning the unit on the room immediately felt cooler. It was so efficient I kept it on at a minimum.

The elite amenity was totally unexpected along with the hand-written notes. I've stayed at a Marriott and Renaissance and didn't get anything for being an elite. Just for acknowledging and providing something was totally unexpected at a lower level category hotel. Am I really staying at Courtyard?

The LCD tv was great. I think it was at least 37 inches or larger. For a hotel of this category, I was surprised to be given such a large TV. Oh, the variety of channels don't disappoint either. I didn't have a problem with finding something to watch in English.

The WiFi was superb. No joke. It was like being on T1 connection back in the USA. I was able to use FaceTime in the morning with no connections quality issues for 2.5 hours. I never once had any connection or speed problems during my stay. For being free it was the best I've had in any hotel in USA, Europe, or South America.

The location was a huge selling point for me. I could have walked to the airport if I had to. The free shuttle was efficient and had very little wait time in the morning. In fact, the night of my arrival I was delayed by 4 hours due to plane diverted to Panama City, Panama. I called the hotel once I was outside of the terminal to request a shuttle. The clerk on duty said there would be one on the way immediately. I thought he was joking. In 7 minutes the shuttle arrived. I thought I would have to wait 15-30 minutes since I arrived at 23:30. The shuttle driver that night stayed on duty much later as all flights that evening were diverted. The clerk was knowledgeable of the delays of not only my flight but of 8 others that night.

If you forget something, have no worry as there is a Wal-Mart situated next door. It's open from 9-9 most days. They accept cash in both USD and CR dollars along with major credit cards.

I'd also recommend booking the coffee plantation, volcano, and waterfall tour via the Marriott website. The tour bus picks up at the hotel. Since the attractions are north of the hotel the hotel is the last stop on the way. Conversely the hotel is the first stop at the end of the tour. Don't bother trying to see these sights on your own. The car rental (plus all the extra fees) and poor road signage isn't worth the hassle. The tour is super efficient and the guide, at least the one I had, is very informative. The breakfast is a bit light but the lunch is very filling. The tour also makes a few stops to allow tourists to make purchases of local snacks, beverages, and ponchos.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel property for anyone going to Costa Rica that plans on staying in the area or needs quick access to the airport. The staff at this location exceeded all of my expectations and made for a short weekend trip very memorable. The location, superb wifi, and attentive staff was more than I could ever ask for.

Yes, I would stay here again and recommend anyone else staying in SJO. Don't bother staying in the city as there's nothing really there to offer and the taxi to the city can be $30 OW.

Room Tip: Sixth floor away from elevators.
1  Thank EliteStatus

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and share your review with Trip Advisor readers, I have share your review with our staff and we all are thankful for your kind review, we all wish to personally thank you for such a beautiful description of our facilities services, highlighting the quality of our staff, it motivates all to continue delivering our best in each guests interaction.
There is only one question we all had and is the following: “what was missing to achieve a 5 star review”. We are in the learning process after one year opening and would be beneficial to share with our staff the details that customers are looking for to provide a full satisfaction rating. Thanks again and if you are considering a future visit to Costa Rica please let me know at marco.quinteros@courtyard.com , I would like to personally thank you for your review.
Pura Vida ;)

Reviewed 27 September 2013

A good place to stay if you have business in or near San Jose. The hotel is close to the airport and the hotel shuttle to and from the airport is free and runs regularly. The rooms are large and the wifi service is reliable and free. Wifi works in the rooms and in the public areas. The breakfast buffet is adequate or you can have an omelette made with your choice of fillings. The staff are friendly and speak excellent English. The advantage of closeness to the airport is offset somewhat by a lack of restaurants within easy walking distance. However, taxis are plentiful and cheap so research and plan your dinner in advance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Graham S

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experience at Courtyard San Jose Airport recognizing our facilities as a Business Hotel if we considered the closeness location to the International San Jose Airport.
As mentioned we offer buffet breakfast with healthy options and omelet station beginning service at 4:00 am in the morning for customers with early flights in addition to the shuttle service that runs every 30 min. Next time you are planning to visit Costa Rica and hopefully our hotel, you would realize that building in front of us is completed, restaurants and stores are planning to open their operation within the next 60 days, and this will complement the services offered by our hotel and contribute to satisfy guests’ needs.
PURA VIDA;)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel La Rosa de America
Hotel La Rosa de America
#5 of 27 in Alajuela
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela? Share your experiences!