“I love this place!”

and 1 more site!
Vida Tropical B and B
Ranked #8 of 61 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I love this place! So helpful and friendly.Great breakfast. Close to the airport. I keep coming back to what seems like home away from home. There is a computer to use or you can use wireless on your own. One of the manager's runs a restaurant called Jalepeno's, a Tex-Mex style place. It is walking distance from the B&B and oh, so good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lacolinadecarolina
There are newer reviews for Vida Tropical B and B

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Only stayed here one night, although I would gladly have stayed longer. Isabel was very friendly and helpful (bent over backwards to help me get my phone to charge, even loaning me her own adapter!). There is free wi-fi and even a computer to use if you don't have a smartphone. The house is located a mile or so away from the center of town, which is nice because the street is pretty quiet. The rooms are spotless. The breakfast is plentiful and delicious (fruit plate, eggs to order, gallo pinto - rice and beans with seasoning - and toast, coffee & juice). The best part is that Isabel will loan you a local cellphone, and all calls within the country are just pennies per minute!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend spent only 2 nights at Vida Tropical and we can both agree that it was the best place we stayed at in Costa Rica. We were in Drake Bay and our host from there called and got us a room a day before we arrived back to San Jose. Isabel is very nice and has a beautiful house! It's clean, new, accessible and in a very nice location. She is very helpful and really knows the area and anything that goes on around. Feel free to ask her about busing, attractions, etc. Her place is great because you can use the kitchen to make your own food, there is a supermarket nearby, a mini downtown is also vey close (centre of Alajuela is much more interesting than the centre of San Jose). Her house is really close to the international airport too. We loved all the decorations Isabel had in the house such as flags of different countries, different currencies pinned to a wall and many little souvenirs from other guests. I wish I had to give her something to post on her walls in reminder of our short stay. She also has a bunny which is super cute and friendly and a restaurant nearby which has very tasty food! Isabel, muchas gracias para todo y quizás la próxima vez podemos darle unos recuerdos de nuestros países :)
Mara y Kian

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank tokseo
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We have been coming to Vida Tropical for over 8 years and still love it! it is a great place to start and end a trip. The rooms are comfortable and and the showers have good hot water. They are wonderful people and helpful beyond a regular B and B. The breakfast is great and the attention filled with care. When they are booked they are helpful in finding another place to stay. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The rooms in the front are on the road and can be a bit noisier - but it is a quiet street and I hav...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Vida is a small house in a nice neighborhood within walking distance to downtown. There are four or five rooms, places to hang out, and they serve up an incredible breakfast. The owner, Jose, was a sweet man with a generous spirit (when he found out that my five-year-old wanted chocolate chip waffles he went out and bought some just for her). We could not have asked for better hospitality.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TikkunOlam77
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Fortunately, a nearby grocery store had Eggos, it was worth it for the smile, thanks for the nice review

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I have stayed in many places around the world and I must say , my experience here was arguably the worst place i have ever stayed in all of my travels.

First of all, I had a REALLY hard time finding the place. I don't know if it was late at night or what, but the directions provided on the internet need some serious improvement. There are basically no signs outside of the house (btw, it is really a "house") which makes it EXTREMELY difficult to find at night.

I was greeted at the door (definitely woke up whoever answered the door) and shown to my room. It was very small but here's the big issue: the bed/room reeked HORRIBLY of a dirty man smell/ body odor. It was about 11:15 at night and I was exhausted from my trip. I thought about leaving but was just too tired to leave. I tried to sleep but the smell of the room permeated through my nose. It just STANK. I was really frustrated. The room just didn't seem clean at all...I was afraid there might even be bedbugs.

After finally falling asleep at midnight I was awoken at 4 am by someone upstairs walking around. The walls /floors are paper thin so guarantee you'll hear someone if you are downstairs. At this point, I just wanted out, so I left.

It was a really bad experience staying here. Felt like a really raunchy hostel. I would think twice about staying here............

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank voodoo-d
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Hi voodoo

I'm really sorry you were not happy with our humble place. Yes, it's not easy to find, there are no addresses in Costa Rica, so if the cab driver is not familiar with landmarks used, they might have a problem finding anything.

Regarding the room, we pride ourselves in cleanliness, so I don't know what you were smelling, we change bedding constantly, sweep and mop all rooms, etc, and have literally dozens of people using the rooms with no complaints, and we check all the rooms over and over to make sure all is OK. Yes, it's a house, and it can happen that a guest leaving for an early flight can be noisy, but we try to be as quiet as possible for the peace of the guests.

Again, I'm sorry you were so unsatisfied, we get so many good reviews that the bad ones really hurt and surprise us, just makes us try harder and not be complacent.

Thanks,

Jose

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I arrived late at night but had no problems checking in. I somehow lucked out with a big room with a queen bed and private bath at the back of the garden. (maybe I paid more for it? I don't know what the other rooms are like...) I was just there for a night, but things were clean and the hot shower was welcome after a long day of travel.

The breakfast was by far the best part. I don't remember what i had, but involved countless tasty things like rice and beans, eggs, fresh fruit, and toast with nutella. I even got away with 2nds (and 3rds... on coffee). Their library is extensive and I found some good info from random (albeit a bit outdated) tour books.

The next morning they called me a cab to take me to the bus station. Because I had a late arrival/early departure schedule, I didn't get to explore the area, but it's within walking distance of a bank. On my way there I passed restaurants, pulperias, sodas, and a school, so I got the 'good neighborhood' vibe.

Room Tip: The room on the back side of the garden is very separate and private.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business