I arrived in San Jose at 7 pm and the B&B had prearranged a taxi driver to pick me up so all I had to do was find Alex - holding a sign with my name. Alex loaded my luggage & sent me off with my taxi, which was only about 15 min from the airport.
Jenny was the overnight clerk, and although she didn't speak English fluently we managed to communicate with my little bit of Spanish and her little bit of English. She helped me get settled in, ordered dinner for me from a wonderful little restaurant down the street (Jalapenos).
Being my first time in the country I was unaccustomed to tropical downpours and bugs, but hey - this is Costa Rica.
The rooms are basic, but they have free Wi-fi, hot water showers, breakfast is complimentary and they give you lots of good choices. I had corresponded with the owner, Isabel, for a couple of weeks prior to my arrival, and asked if there was a place I could purchase almond milk for my morning coffee (lactose intolerance is such a nuisance when traveling!). She couldn't find almond milk, but purchased soy milk for my morning coffee - at no additional charge.
I got to eat breakfast with Isabel's 6-year old son, Nicolas, before he went to school that morning. We chatted about what school is like for him and he even gave me my first in-country Spanish lesson when I asked him how to say hummingbird in Spanish.
My one and only complaint about staying here is that the bed was very uncomfortable - I felt like I was sleeping on a mattress that had seen more than their share of days and the coils in the mattress were very palpable all night long. The pillows were paper thin (as I've found they are in many places in Costa Rica). The comforts of home....wish I'd brought my own pillow!
Mattress discomfort aside, if I'm ever in need of a safe, quiet welcoming B&B coming or going from the airport I'll definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ADVANTAGES OF VIDA TROPICAL - 5 minutes from the airport, but not on the flight path; walking distance to the center of the city of Alajuela; on a nice, quiet, secure street, in a friendly residential area; transportation to and from the airport is available at any hour of the day or night with the official orange airport taxis or we can arrange pickup(fare is about $7.00); a base from which to do day trips in the Central Valley, or overnight trips to more distant points; a place to stay during your whole trip if you're here to check out business opportunities, real estate purchase or rental possibilities or if you want to experience daily life in the Central Valley to decide if you want to move here permanently or part of the year; s place to enjoy an extended stay at very reasonable prices. We´re in Lonely Planet, Let's Go, and other travel books, reviewed on TripAdvisor and airbnb,and recommended in Thorn Tree and other discussion boards. Established in the Last Millenium before Y2K (1999), and enjoyed by 1,000s of guests. We accept Visa and Mastercard but NOT with the new CHIP security system. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Vida Tropical B and B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vida Tropical b And b Hotel Alajuela
- Vida Tropical B And B Costa Rica/Alajuela