“Helpful, friendly staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 59 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Withee, Wisconsin
“Helpful, friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife, son, and I stayed here our first and last nights in Costa Rica. The location is very convenient to the airport. We had different rooms each time, both with private baths. The rooms weren't fancy, but were clean and attractive. Both rooms faced the street and we did have some traffic noise our first night---I think some sort of truck hauling was going on. Our second night was much quieter. Vida Tropical is in a neighborhood that felt safe, and places to eat and the city center are within easy walking distance. Isabel, the manager, was very helpful in many ways, especially in helping us to rent a car for our nine days in CR. The company she recommended (Target) was very professional and had good prices and the exact vehicle I wanted, a Suzuki Jimny. The vehicle was delivered right to Vida Tropical and also picked up there, no extra charge. The breakfast was very good---Sylvia makes a mean gallo pinto! All in all, I think most travelers would be quite happy with Vida Tropical, as long as they are not expecting a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Samara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed there 1 night and we found the staff to be super nice and helpful. The room and the shared bathroom were spotless and the bed was comfortable. It is close to the park and there are lots of restaurants near by. They have a trust system for beverages that I just loved. Great place! Would definitely recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarchi, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I arrived in San Jose at 7 pm and the B&B had prearranged a taxi driver to pick me up so all I had to do was find Alex - holding a sign with my name. Alex loaded my luggage & sent me off with my taxi, which was only about 15 min from the airport.
Jenny was the overnight clerk, and although she didn't speak English fluently we managed to communicate with my little bit of Spanish and her little bit of English. She helped me get settled in, ordered dinner for me from a wonderful little restaurant down the street (Jalapenos).
Being my first time in the country I was unaccustomed to tropical downpours and bugs, but hey - this is Costa Rica.
The rooms are basic, but they have free Wi-fi, hot water showers, breakfast is complimentary and they give you lots of good choices. I had corresponded with the owner, Isabel, for a couple of weeks prior to my arrival, and asked if there was a place I could purchase almond milk for my morning coffee (lactose intolerance is such a nuisance when traveling!). She couldn't find almond milk, but purchased soy milk for my morning coffee - at no additional charge.
I got to eat breakfast with Isabel's 6-year old son, Nicolas, before he went to school that morning. We chatted about what school is like for him and he even gave me my first in-country Spanish lesson when I asked him how to say hummingbird in Spanish.
My one and only complaint about staying here is that the bed was very uncomfortable - I felt like I was sleeping on a mattress that had seen more than their share of days and the coils in the mattress were very palpable all night long. The pillows were paper thin (as I've found they are in many places in Costa Rica). The comforts of home....wish I'd brought my own pillow!
Mattress discomfort aside, if I'm ever in need of a safe, quiet welcoming B&B coming or going from the airport I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CRadventure2013
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We chose this bnb because of its ratings and proximity to the airport. We arrived close to midnight after a 2hr wait at Thrifty (horrendous customer service). At that hour it was a bit confusing to find, and we had to enlist a local to help us (Tico love!!!). The hostess helped us get parked up and once we settled in she gave us a quick. The honor system for beverages was a nice touch at that hour. Breakfast was great - your choice of typical Tico breakfast or somethign mroe familiar like french toast. There were also cereals, breads, coffee/tea you could help yourself to. On our way out of Costa Rica we stayed here again, this time Jose was on duty. What a cool guy! We let him know that we were getting up at a crazy hour to avoid Thrifty delays, and he got up before us, made fresh banana bread and offered the regular breakfast. This is a great place as a first stop, especially for families. It was peaceful, within walking distance to the grocery store and restaurants and some nice sights in Alajeula.

Room Tip: We had rooms on both the first and second floor and liked them both. A room away from the street mi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thanks for the great review, it was a pleasure having you as a guest in our humble place. Your experience with the rental car is a perfect example of why we recommend that you don't get the car the night you arrive, as addresses in Costa Rica are based on landmarks which can't be easily seen at night. It's better if you take a $7-8 cab ride (you will save 5-6 times that by having one less day of rental), and get there quickly and safely. All rental agencies will do a pickup here in the AM at any time you want, like after a good night's sleep and breakfast.
Monteverde, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We've stayed in Vida Tropical four times now, in 2009, 2012 and 2013. It's a great place to stay on your way to or from the San Jose airport - much better than staying in San Jose itself. The rooms are pretty basic, but are very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is excellent, with a nice little courtyard to look out upon. Isabel is a wonderful host, and will help you with whatever airport transportation or tour assistance you might need. Highly recommended!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Isabel and Silvia will make you feel very welcome here at this small B&B in a quiet street a short walk from the centre of Alajuela. It´s a great place to stay if you going to or from the airport and if you don´t fancy the madness of San Jose. It´s also very convenient for Poas Volcano which you can easily do on the public bus for next to nothing. If you´re from somehere unusual like me, take them a small flag from your country and a small bank note for their collection. Isabel and Silvia both helped me organise trips and a hostel in la Fortuna. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Very good place to stay.

Nothing is too much trouble, which must be hard sometimes, particularly with the high turnover of guests, staying one night for the airport.

Isabel is fantastic like rest of the staff, I introduced myself it was only a brief meeting and was the only time she was there when I was, she may not even remember my visit. They organised a Taxi for me for Paos & Le Paz, and the driver was amazing - he turned into a personal guide. (Alex)

For breakfast I highly recommend the Texan Omelette. With their own home made Chilli sauce.

Room Tip: Avoid the bottom apartment for outside noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo