Vida Tropical B and B
Ranked #7 of 63 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I just returned from a trip to CR and stayed at Vida Tropical the first and last night due to the proximity to the airport. It is definitely a budget-friendly place and is not fancy, but it is clean and comfortable. The owner, Isabel, was what made the stay the best for us! Upon booking she emailed us information about the area and also pre-booked us a taxi from the airport. When we arrived she answered all of our questions and was very friendly and helpful, again booking us a taxi to meet our shuttle the following day. The breakfast was good and it was nice to not have to worry about going out for breakfast.

The last night we stayed here we were tired from our journey, it was raining and we didn't feel like venturing out for dinner. Isabel actually went out of her way to call in a to-go order for us which was delivered in a taxi! We also had the opportunity to chat with her and her son, and she made us feel very at home. I would definitely recommend staying her if you need to be closer to the airport than San Jose and if you would like a more local, budget friendly alternative than a chain hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 January 2014

After several trips to Costa Rica I have found Vida Tropical B&B to be the best choice for beginning and ending your vacation or business trip. Just 10 minutes from the airport and you are in your hotel relaxing after your long flight. When you leave it is a fast and stress free trip back to the airport. Basic but extremely clean and comfortable accommodations make you feel like you are staying at a good friends house. The most welcoming staff and by far my favorite hotel during my three months in Costa Rica. I stayed a total of 14 night spread out over my trip of three months. Isabel and Sylvia are amazing hosts and will take good care of you, attending to your needs with smiles and efficiency. Isabel is the manager and is extremely knowledgable about all parts of the country. She will help you with transportation options, hotels, and suggestions for places to visit. Each morning starts with coffee, fresh fruit and a delicious breakfast made to order by Sylvia. I used Hotel Vida Tropical as a base for my stay in Costa Rica. I would return for a couple days after spending a couple weeks exploring. Then head out for another few weeks before returning again. It was a perfect way to explore Costa Rica and made me feel like I had a home in country to come back to for rest and to plan for another adventure. I did this for the entire three months I was in Costa Rica. It made my trip much more relaxing and stress free knowing I had a place to regroup and get advise for my next adventure. You won't be disappointed with Vida Tropical B&B.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I love this place. I know I will be taken care of and comfortable. Day and night the staff is always helpful. A great place to just chill and relax. Even if I come in late and leave early, they always make my stays and transfers easy. All the services I need: internet, breakfast, rental cars, transfers, travel advice, safe parking and more. It's so close to the airport, the central area of Alajuela, and I can walk to restaurants after a long day of travel. Thanks, Isabel and staff!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife, son, and I stayed here our first and last nights in Costa Rica. The location is very convenient to the airport. We had different rooms each time, both with private baths. The rooms weren't fancy, but were clean and attractive. Both rooms faced the street and we did have some traffic noise our first night---I think some sort of truck hauling was going on. Our second night was much quieter. Vida Tropical is in a neighborhood that felt safe, and places to eat and the city center are within easy walking distance. Isabel, the manager, was very helpful in many ways, especially in helping us to rent a car for our nine days in CR. The company she recommended (Target) was very professional and had good prices and the exact vehicle I wanted, a Suzuki Jimny. The vehicle was delivered right to Vida Tropical and also picked up there, no extra charge. The breakfast was very good---Sylvia makes a mean gallo pinto! All in all, I think most travelers would be quite happy with Vida Tropical, as long as they are not expecting a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed there 1 night and we found the staff to be super nice and helpful. The room and the shared bathroom were spotless and the bed was comfortable. It is close to the park and there are lots of restaurants near by. They have a trust system for beverages that I just loved. Great place! Would definitely recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I arrived in San Jose at 7 pm and the B&B had prearranged a taxi driver to pick me up so all I had to do was find Alex - holding a sign with my name. Alex loaded my luggage & sent me off with my taxi, which was only about 15 min from the airport.
Jenny was the overnight clerk, and although she didn't speak English fluently we managed to communicate with my little bit of Spanish and her little bit of English. She helped me get settled in, ordered dinner for me from a wonderful little restaurant down the street (Jalapenos).
Being my first time in the country I was unaccustomed to tropical downpours and bugs, but hey - this is Costa Rica.
The rooms are basic, but they have free Wi-fi, hot water showers, breakfast is complimentary and they give you lots of good choices. I had corresponded with the owner, Isabel, for a couple of weeks prior to my arrival, and asked if there was a place I could purchase almond milk for my morning coffee (lactose intolerance is such a nuisance when traveling!). She couldn't find almond milk, but purchased soy milk for my morning coffee - at no additional charge.
I got to eat breakfast with Isabel's 6-year old son, Nicolas, before he went to school that morning. We chatted about what school is like for him and he even gave me my first in-country Spanish lesson when I asked him how to say hummingbird in Spanish.
My one and only complaint about staying here is that the bed was very uncomfortable - I felt like I was sleeping on a mattress that had seen more than their share of days and the coils in the mattress were very palpable all night long. The pillows were paper thin (as I've found they are in many places in Costa Rica). The comforts of home....wish I'd brought my own pillow!
Mattress discomfort aside, if I'm ever in need of a safe, quiet welcoming B&B coming or going from the airport I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CRadventure2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We chose this bnb because of its ratings and proximity to the airport. We arrived close to midnight after a 2hr wait at Thrifty (horrendous customer service). At that hour it was a bit confusing to find, and we had to enlist a local to help us (Tico love!!!). The hostess helped us get parked up and once we settled in she gave us a quick. The honor system for beverages was a nice touch at that hour. Breakfast was great - your choice of typical Tico breakfast or somethign mroe familiar like french toast. There were also cereals, breads, coffee/tea you could help yourself to. On our way out of Costa Rica we stayed here again, this time Jose was on duty. What a cool guy! We let him know that we were getting up at a crazy hour to avoid Thrifty delays, and he got up before us, made fresh banana bread and offered the regular breakfast. This is a great place as a first stop, especially for families. It was peaceful, within walking distance to the grocery store and restaurants and some nice sights in Alajeula.

Room Tip: We had rooms on both the first and second floor and liked them both. A room away from the street mi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Thanks for the great review, it was a pleasure having you as a guest in our humble place. Your experience with the rental car is a perfect example of why we recommend that you don't get the car the night you arrive, as addresses in Costa Rica are based on landmarks which can't be easily seen at night. It's better if you take a $7-8 cab ride (you will save 5-6 times that by having one less day of rental), and get there quickly and safely. All rental agencies will do a pickup here in the AM at any time you want, like after a good night's sleep and breakfast.