US$120
  • Breakfast included
US$146
Courtyard
US$134
All reviewscosta ricasan joseclose to the airportwalking distancerental carprivate bathlast nightleaving earlygreat place to starthot showerfresh fruitinternational airportstayed one nightpollosylviabunnytaxi
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our family of six stayed here on the first and last nights of our trip to Costa Rica. We arrived late with take-out dinner in hand, and were graciously ushered to the table to eat. When Isabel arrived promptly at 7 the next morning, it was like an enthusiastic, cheery tornado rushed in after her. She is adorable, and ensures that every guest feels welcome, and that all their travel logistics are arranged. We decided to visit the local coffee plantation and she called around ensuring the best transportation for us. The hot beakfast was simply amazing, and we were also encouraged to grab cereal and toast at 5AM before our departure flight. We didn't explore past the walls of the hotel, but inside the hotel was sweet, cozy, welcoming and a lovely stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was surprised by the very high ratings given by other reviewers. The place is a bit on the shabby side. The beds were VERY uncomfortable. The location was a noisy street. They did offer a very nice breakfast and it is within walking distance from the central area of Alajuela. We ran into a couple of people who were repeat visitors. I think it is a decent enough place to stay for an overnight if your flight arrives late and you want someplace close to the airport. Our mistake was staying for three nights.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a room on the back side of the building to cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teri G
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

hola terri

the traffic you saw was because nearby road repairs were temporarily routing a lot of traffic thru our street as a detour.

the mattresses were all replaced 3 years ago, i am sorry they were uncomfortable for you, we have not received any comments on them, but we are turning the mattress over in the hope it will make it more acceptable.

thanks for the comments, they keep us on our toes, as long as it is in our hands to do something about them.

chieers,

jose

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great location, short walk to town, 10-15 min. Many ants in Garden room, no wifi in room as advertised. Poor shower very difficult to control water temp, either icy cold or burning hot, had to get manager to come turn water off. Nice town.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

hola betty

re the ants, they rule the world, we just try to keep them at bay, but the garden room, as the name implies, is by the garden, thus succeptible to critters.we do not spray any toxic chemicals to control them, just shoo them out and keep the place clean, but sometimes guests leave crumbs which attract them

re the wifi, we have a router for the front and another for the back, perhaps if u were next to the concrete wall it did not reach you.

the shower has a hot and a cold lever, using just one will make it either very cold or very hot, but you were shown how to blend them and it worked

thanks for the comments, we like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly, not just compliments.

jose

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I just returned from a trip to CR and stayed at Vida Tropical the first and last night due to the proximity to the airport. It is definitely a budget-friendly place and is not fancy, but it is clean and comfortable. The owner, Isabel, was what made the stay the best for us! Upon booking she emailed us information about the area and also pre-booked us a taxi from the airport. When we arrived she answered all of our questions and was very friendly and helpful, again booking us a taxi to meet our shuttle the following day. The breakfast was good and it was nice to not have to worry about going out for breakfast.

The last night we stayed here we were tired from our journey, it was raining and we didn't feel like venturing out for dinner. Isabel actually went out of her way to call in a to-go order for us which was delivered in a taxi! We also had the opportunity to chat with her and her son, and she made us feel very at home. I would definitely recommend staying her if you need to be closer to the airport than San Jose and if you would like a more local, budget friendly alternative than a chain hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

After several trips to Costa Rica I have found Vida Tropical B&B to be the best choice for beginning and ending your vacation or business trip. Just 10 minutes from the airport and you are in your hotel relaxing after your long flight. When you leave it is a fast and stress free trip back to the airport. Basic but extremely clean and comfortable accommodations make you feel like you are staying at a good friends house. The most welcoming staff and by far my favorite hotel during my three months in Costa Rica. I stayed a total of 14 night spread out over my trip of three months. Isabel and Sylvia are amazing hosts and will take good care of you, attending to your needs with smiles and efficiency. Isabel is the manager and is extremely knowledgable about all parts of the country. She will help you with transportation options, hotels, and suggestions for places to visit. Each morning starts with coffee, fresh fruit and a delicious breakfast made to order by Sylvia. I used Hotel Vida Tropical as a base for my stay in Costa Rica. I would return for a couple days after spending a couple weeks exploring. Then head out for another few weeks before returning again. It was a perfect way to explore Costa Rica and made me feel like I had a home in country to come back to for rest and to plan for another adventure. I did this for the entire three months I was in Costa Rica. It made my trip much more relaxing and stress free knowing I had a place to regroup and get advise for my next adventure. You won't be disappointed with Vida Tropical B&B.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo