“Very comfortable and homey”

Vida Tropical B and B
Ranked #8 of 62 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed as family of 4 in Bamboo room for 2 nights and my husband stayed in Terrace for 1 night. The villa is very close to city centre but off on a quiet street. The rooms are small but very comfortable and for 1-2 night it is more then adequate. Nice, new bathrooms. The best thing is breakfast. You get a menu and you actually get a very filling, cooked breakfast. Isabel is always there and she will help with anything you need help with. Family also owns restaurant Jalapenos which is about 5 min walk to town and the food/service is really good. We took a cab to airport for $7 and it was very smooth. There is lots of room on the property to spread out as there are 3 lounge/couch areas and house has a little backyard as well. The rooms facing front might be a bit noisier with motorbikes etc but the street is generally fairly quiet. The rooms close to the entrance downstairs might also get more noise from guests. If this is a concern, ask for a quiet room upstairs. You cant go wrong here for either a stopover to/from airport or a base to explore Poas and surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: The rooms facing front might be a bit noisier with motorbikes etc but the street is generally fairly...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I ventured to CR for my 4th trip and already had a favorite place to start and end and stay should I need to stay in the area. I stumbled upon Vida Tropical B&B and the rooms caught my eye. Price is unreal, location wonderful...why not try. WOW... I was not disappointed. I now have a new place.

The rooms are lovely , homey and cozy. We had the bamboo room for me and my 9 year old grandson which is perfect for a family. Bathrooms are bright, clean and big. I saw the fish room too...awesome. in fact when we arrved most people had left so I did peek in almost every room. This place is amazing. The area is so safe and parks are a must. Not just a place to lay your head the night before or after. I can see myself spending a few nights here.

Isabel the manager is a sweetheart. Her son Nico was so cute and him and my grandson had a lovely time. Then you must go meet daddy (Norman) at Jalapenos....a must for great food.,

I can't forget Sylvia who made us amazing breakfast. I believe she keeps these rooms so immaculate. Amazing stay for such a cheap price. A must!!

Sorry..there are the bunnies too...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

If you're looking for a comfortable, clean and homey place to stay as you start and end your trip to Costa Rica I can't imagine a better choice. Isabel is a wonderful host and the B&B is very convenient and has great rooms and amenities.

Your room includes delicious breakfast that starts with loads of fresh fruit, juice and fantastic Costa Rican coffee. There are a handful of dishes to choose from and you can include the gallo pinto with anything. I'm sure if you had a special request they would be happy to whip that up for you as well.

You can help yourself to beverages from the fridge on the honor system by placing one "bean" in the cup for your specific room. They are counted and tallied up at the end of your visit. I will stay there again when I return, for sure.

And don't miss going to Jalapeno Central for lunch or dinner. Owned and run by the infamous Norman, Isabel's husband. Super tasty authentic Tex-Mex in a welcoming atmosphere. Must do.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FredCrico
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Isabel the manager takes good care of her clients. You can get a room with a private bath or shared one. The B&B is convenient and safe and an easy walk to the center of town and 15min and $6 taxi to the airport. The breakfast was ample, good and traditional.

Room Tip: The garden room is the best choice for novelty because it sit in the middle of the garden with two p...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I always stay my first and last night at the Vida Tropical and have had to stay longer several times. Isabel and her staff have helped me book spur of the moment cars, day trips and helped me get to Tortoguero Island at the very best price, working late into the night .
I can not speak highly enough of Isabel and her family and the Vida Tropical and after staying at many other places near the airport, this is like a second home.
The Vida is family friendly, safe and secure....Thanks

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our family of six stayed here on the first and last nights of our trip to Costa Rica. We arrived late with take-out dinner in hand, and were graciously ushered to the table to eat. When Isabel arrived promptly at 7 the next morning, it was like an enthusiastic, cheery tornado rushed in after her. She is adorable, and ensures that every guest feels welcome, and that all their travel logistics are arranged. We decided to visit the local coffee plantation and she called around ensuring the best transportation for us. The hot beakfast was simply amazing, and we were also encouraged to grab cereal and toast at 5AM before our departure flight. We didn't explore past the walls of the hotel, but inside the hotel was sweet, cozy, welcoming and a lovely stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was surprised by the very high ratings given by other reviewers. The place is a bit on the shabby side. The beds were VERY uncomfortable. The location was a noisy street. They did offer a very nice breakfast and it is within walking distance from the central area of Alajuela. We ran into a couple of people who were repeat visitors. I think it is a decent enough place to stay for an overnight if your flight arrives late and you want someplace close to the airport. Our mistake was staying for three nights.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a room on the back side of the building to cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teri G
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

hola terri

the traffic you saw was because nearby road repairs were temporarily routing a lot of traffic thru our street as a detour.

the mattresses were all replaced 3 years ago, i am sorry they were uncomfortable for you, we have not received any comments on them, but we are turning the mattress over in the hope it will make it more acceptable.

thanks for the comments, they keep us on our toes, as long as it is in our hands to do something about them.

chieers,