“Third time here and will be back”

Hotel Brillasol Airport
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Alajuela
california
“Third time here and will be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and everytime I leave I say to myself that i will come back. Its location is close to the SJO airport and their free shuttles make things so easy.

Guillermo one of the managers and his staff are very friendly and will attend to your every need.

Their restaurant is delicious and quick. The food really was better than expected each time. The rooms can be a little loud sometimes but that just depends on who else is in the hotel. Sometimes there are large groups and it can change the face of the place.

The hotel is also close to the airport so that means there is a pretty consistant rumble from jets taking off and landing.

Overall I think this is the best option if you need a place to stay after you arrive or before you leave. It is not the kind of place you would want to stay for several days as there is nothing nice in the area that I know of but is perfect for the quick stop. The price is right and the staff are very friendly.

The rooms are basic but have everything you need and have comfortable beds. The showers have HOT WATER!!! That was a nice change.

I will be back

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be all the same. It looked like they have cabinas but I have always been alone and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank honest_dude_ca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here one night before and one night after Costa Rica tour. Rooms are clean and TV has lots of channels. The restaurant is well priced (8$ mains) and the food is fresh and good. The hotel will take care of all transports you need also in minutes notice. The location is near airport and feels safe behind a gate.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Our cab driver recommended this place and we were very pleased. The place is very nice, close to the airport and has nice grounds. What we want to share is the great staff. Just as we arrived at the hotel from another part of the country, my wife fell quite ill with 'traveler's sickness'. The staff was so very helpful and caring in helping us get her to a clinic and offering food and drink if she needed it. Then, to top it off, the hotel's shuttle driver went way above and beyond by detouring to a couple of farmacias for us as we needed to find someone to administer an antibiotic shot that my wife needed before we went to the airport. We will always stay at this place when coming in and out of Costa Rica from now on.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Arvada, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My family and I stayed at Hotel Brilla Sol in June the night before heading back to the U.S., and we found it to be very charming, secure and comfortable. The restaurant served us a delicious, custom-made meal. The shuttle to the airport was reliable and quick. I recommend this place on your way into or out of Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Antone3
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed here several years ago and returned on this last visit. It's about 5 minutes from the airport by free shuttle, so traffic jams aren't a problem. It has a lovely garden and pool area to relax by if you have a later flight. The breakfast (included) offers eggs, plantains, cereals, bread, fruits and beverages. The rooms are large with large washrooms (in the centre building). The water pressure in the shower was not strong. There are ceiling fans and screen doors but no air conditioning. Wilfredo is a happy go lucky guy and very pleasant. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 45-nomad
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We returned recently from our ninth trip to Costa Rica. For most of these trips we have stayed at BrillaSol on our arrival and our day before departure days. We have always found it to be a pleasant place to stay for a night. The people are helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and adequate, the food is simple, home-cooked fare. We enjoy the pool and garden area, and there is internet access now too. Our arrival day/night worked out fine as usual on this trip, but when we returned about ten days later, we were told that there was a problem with our room...they had given it someone else because they had a large group of students and the place was full. They did not try to contact us ahead of time to let us know. We were told that we would get a discount. We were given a very small, dark room off the reception area with two twin beds. The ceiling was only a little higher than my husband's head. One wall was glass, covered with a see-through curtain, which looked out onto the common computer and T.V. room. There was a T.V. in the room which didn't have cable, only rabbit ears that didn't work. We had use of a very tiny bathroom across the hall. Needless to say, we only stayed in our room to sleep, though this was hard at first because three of the staff were watching the very loud T.V. right outside the glass wall and were also talking loudly. They might as well have been in the room. I felt claustrophobic and was trying not to have a panic attack. Even though the owner apologized and they took $15 off our room rate, I have to say that I hesitate to go back. I can't guarantee that it won't happen again and i really do not want to have the situation repeated. I don't think it's right to give pre-booked rooms away and then not contact you. I think we should be given a guarantee that they won't do it again...and i think we should be given a free night on top of that. I feel badly about this because we enjoyed going to BrillaSol so many times. I felt it was worth letting people know.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank osalife
Woodbridge, Va, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

What a great bunch of folks at Brill Sol. Friendly, clean rooms and great food. I just visited again in March 2013 and this was my second visit. I can't say enough about the pleasant atmosphere and great food. I hope one day they will finish their pool area and get it ship shape, but otherwise this is a great place for a day or two on your way to or from the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family