“The best alajuela hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vina Romantica

Vina Romantica
Ranked #44 of 60 Alajuela B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“The best alajuela hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

(note: our last trip to costa rica was 2years prior. Website won't allow me to use an earlier date.)
My husband is costa rican and we traveled to costa rica often. We were always looking for a better hotel close to the airport because we would always arrive late and didn't want to make the 4 hour drive at that time. A few years back we found Vina Romantica online and gave it a shot. The host, Sherry, was amazing, even accommodated our rental car in their garage. We arrived very late but they still fed us an phenomenal home cooked meal. We slept in an upstairs room and it was clean, the beds were comfortable, and it even had a coffeemaker (unusual for costa rica). In the morning we had a wonderful breakfast before we were off. We enjoyed it so much that we booked a room for the night before our return flight and enjoyed it just as much. It's a wonderful little hidden gem in Alejuela that you should not miss out on. I am appalled by the bad review below as our stay there was our favorite hotel in Alejuela. I won't mention the other hotel names, but we've stayed in 7 different ones, and Vina Romantica was hands down, the best! Btw, great communication via email.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Milupa_

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

My husband and I chose this Hotel because it was near the airport. What a find. We were greeted my a delightful women named Ann who has just taken over the Hotel. Ann is from the South in the US. She knows what true Southern Hospitality is and has extended her charm to her visitors at the Vina Romantica.
She has been a tour guide in Costa Rica and can tell you where to go, how to get there, and the things to avoid.
Vina Romantica is a perfect place to stay with very comfortable beds in a friendly village. It is a safe area with beautiful views of the Poas Volcano from the upstairs balcony.I The courtyard in the back yard had beautiful bouganvillia flowers draping the walls along with other tropical foliage. We even saw hummingbirds hovering in the garden. If you want to see how the real Costa Rican people live this is the place to stay. The village has several good restaurants within walking distance from the Hotel. Local places with great typical food and drink.
It is a great place to stay for a few days to take in the tours to the Doka Coffee Estate and the Poas Volcano Park.
If you want to feel taken care of this is the place to stay. We recommend it !

Room Tip: They were all nice! (We got a tour)
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank genetyner
Woodland Park, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Sherry, the owner, was quite hospitable and made my stay very pleasant. As an American, I appreciated having a host who could give me the inside story on local culture but still relate it to my background. The location of the hotel was perfect for me -- close to the San Jose airport, on the way to the primary areas I was visiting in Costa Rica (La Paz wildlife park and the rainforest lodge at Selva Verde). As some reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is a bit isolated (in the middle of a local neighborhood) and the street noise is noticeable, but those factors help give the hotel a local flavor. (For those bothered by noise while traveling, by the way, I highly recommend my portable white-noise machine.) My upstairs room was very good -- clean and comfortable, with a view of the coffee plantation. I had free internet access and a pleasant breakfast. Overall, a very nice experience.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jghutton
Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

For family vacation we rented the whole house for 2 periods, electricity was extra. Manager/owner was out of country (known to us) & out of contact w local part-time caretaker more than we were informed. Needs more help. We had to do most things for ourselves which we did without complaint. We're experienced, bilingual travelers.

Good: beds & bathrooms, part-time caretaker was helpful but did not have resources & present very little. Good view. Close to airport, bus.

Very poor: management, one bedroom had a rat in wall making LOUD noises all night, could not sleep--2x had to change room during the night. We reported to caretaker who could not solve. She said she had not heard from owner for several days. Kitchen very disappointing: rusty refrigerator dirty & had old food. We took out trash, etc. Only 1 TV in whole house. Living room--inadequate furniture. Large trash bags in garage smelled. Out of town--few local conveniences.

Dispute w owner over electricity charges even though we asked caretaker to read meter the morning we departed. Charges could not possibly have been accurate.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Rosavictoriana
Sherrylvalentine, Owner at Vina Romantica, responded to this review, 24 September 2010
It’s very interesting how money can cloud someone’s review.

When I questioned this about their stay they reported a wonderful trip with one exception being a visit to a hospital. Their comments said my staff was very attentive and cared for them by driving them to the hospital, to the pharmacy and taking some family members to the airport. They left an expensive piece of medical equipment at the hotel and my staff arranged to get it returned to them in the U.S. They profusely thanked my staff and paid them extra for their helpfulness.

This client (despite me speaking to them via e-mail while they were in the hotel) never complained about anything until I held fees per our vacation rental contract for their electricity usage. They were instructed via the contract to personally read the meters along with the staff and provide me with the information. My staff read the meters and I held money from their security deposit according to our agreement and only for the electricity used.

Which review is truthful? The original one given to me in an e-mail or the one above one posted after threatening me with writing it? The power of the internet is too great to let angry clients use it to harm owners. There is no “court of law” regarding these postings. It is only up to us owners to investigate the complaint, apologize when needed and defend ourselves when we have to. You are the judge.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

We stayed here after spending 10 days in Jaco, the night before our flight left to go back to the states. The hotel was hard to find--luckily we took a cab from our rental car company. We almost drove up there and we would have never found it. Make sure you have good directions and a map!

Sherry was very welcoming and we loved the feel of the place. Very relaxing and low-key. The room was very comfortable--we got a great night of sleep in the bed!

Our flight left at 715am and Sherry had a cab waiting for us right at 5am.

I just wish we would have gotten to enjoy the garden and this hotel a little longer!

1 Thank blondeeebuckeye
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

This B&B within 15 minutes of San Jose Int. airport is a nice respite from the usual airport hotels. It has rooms with a volcano view, a flowery, viney yard with plenty of hummingbirds to watch, excellent food and service, and a good Tican restaurant just a leisurely 15 minute walk away.

2 Thank bobbygSeattle
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

We stayed here our first and second night of our trip around Costa Rica as it was only about 20 minutes by car from the airport. The area surrounding the hotel is nothing special and our first impressions were not great, but it is actually a quite nice base with a restaurant just a 5 minute walk away with great views. The night we stayed an evening meal was not available, but the other guests we met there had eaten there in the evenings and were very complimentary.

It was a great base for us to explore the Poas volcano, the La Paz waterfalls and also a lovely coffee tour.

The rooms were clean, bright and comfortable and the gardens where you have your breakfast are beautiful. The breakfast was lovely and the host, Wendy, was very friendly and welcoming. Be prepared for an early morning wake up by the dogs and cockerals, but I think that would be a problem in many of the places were you stay in a residential area. It was not a problem, as you we found we woke early anyway with the sunshine!

On the whole, this was a lovely little place and I would recommend it as a base for this area, particularly if you have the freedom of a car.

1 Thank JWDDEngland