“Nice Place to Launch Your Vacation From”
Review of Vina Romantica

Vina Romantica
Ranked #43 of 65 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Sherry runs a friendly, cosy, bed and breakfast. It's a short drive out of Alajuela on the road to Poas volcano so it's easy travel to destinations in that area. It's also a pretty easy drive to Arenal as your next stayover destination.

My wife and I both thought Vina Romantica was a great place to launch our Costa Rican vacation. Sherry was very helpful arranging a rental car and providing directions and useful information. Beds are super-comfortable. Roosters and an occasional moped might break the early morning quiet but if you can't sleep through it Sherry will provide you with earplugs. Didn't need them as I slept soundly.

We had a great meal in her restaurant the first evening but we weren't able to try her special prix-fixe dinner as it does require some advance notice.

Close to the airport (not too close). Comfortable accomodations. Great breakfast.

We'd definitely return again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wellfleetoysters

Reviewed 4 February 2010

Vina Romantica is located in the Las Pilas area of Alajuela which is a friendly and safe area. Its proximity to the airport is a plus. The staff arranges for taxi transportation to and from the airport for a nominal charge. Transportation for a day or two of sightseeing with an English speaking guide can also be arranged. Myself and 2 other guests were taken on a tour of the local coffee plantation by the owner. The highlight of my stay at Vina Romantica was the food. The Costa Rican chef is very talented. The breakfasts & optional dinners were first class. I especially appreciated the special attention to providing diabetic friendly meals for me.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2010

At first I wondered if we had the wrong hotel as our experience did not match the descriptions found on trip advisor. On arrival the thick iron door were off putting and made us wonder how safe the area was? When we arrived we were shown to the wrong room, there seemed some confusion about our arrival. So we moved ourselves to the Poas room, which we had paid extra for. The view from the Poas room is very nice. The room was ok, but the hotel was generally in need of some maintainace, cracked tiles and paint work etc. There claims to be a spa service on site, but we were never offered this service. It was noisey, with many dogs barking and groups of teens gathered outside the nearby shop after dark. At 2am we were disturbed by a loud, drunken local, this inturn set off all the dogs. We felt quite vulnerable and did not sleep. We were told that a guest had caused the comotion, but it sounded more like it came from a neighbour outsidel. The staff got up extra early to make breakfast before our flight, which was appreciated. As part of our booking we were offered a taxi transfer back to the airport. Following a conversation with the temp manager (I think his name was Fabion, sorry if I am mistaken), he agreed to book the taxi for the following morning. It arrived on time but it was not pre paid as offered. We have since been remibursed but it was a poor end to our Costa Rica trip. My advice stay at Poas Lodge and use the money you save to get up and down the mountain.

1  Thank mantropik
Sherrylvalentine, owner at Vina Romantica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2010

I apologized profusely to this guest for the behavior of the other guest who upset them and the dogs. My staff did go out of their way to prepare an extra early breakfast. Spa services are available upon request as advertised on the website and on the in-room information. I also refunded their money. The 6.2 earthquake whose epicenter was only 7 miles away last year caused cosmetic damage to our buildings. The repairs and painting were completed just this past week – January 23, 2010. These are the things in our control and the things I can respond to.

However, teenagers in our middle-class neighborhood after dark, (which is 5:30pm here); the bars, gates and walls that surround everything in the country are part of the culture in Costa Rica. It seems that despite doing everything within our power, we can’t make everyone happy.

Reviewed 31 January 2010

We arrived at the hotel on January 19,2010 at 3:30 pm after booking 2 weeks prior with another reputable search engine. We received a confirmation and this was our first night in Costa Rica. Upon arriving at 3:30 pm we noted the entire hotel appeared closed with the open sign off and all doors and gates closed. We knocked and rang the door bell for over half an hour with no answer. We finally went down the road to the Buena Vista Hotel which was fabulous. The following day on January 20, 2010 we returned once more at noon and again no answer and all doors locked. We emailed the online company we had booked through and they attempted to call the hotel and received no answer. We are still waiting for our refund of $100.00. We took photos of all the locked and closed doors, gates and the open sign which was off.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Vina Romantica was open on the date that was noted and all guests with reservations checked in. It seems some communication error happened between the booking agent and Vina Romantica. Please contact me directly through the website. I'll do my best to find out what went wrong and correct the error.

Reviewed 26 January 2010

We stayed here our first night in Costa Rica. The room felt pretty basic, but was clean. The bed was comfy and the sheets were nice. There were some cracked tiles and the room felt a tad bit run down, like it might have been nicer at one point and hasn’t been maintained as well as it could have been. Overall, it was ok for the price. Staff was very friendly, but most don’t speak English. Not a problem for me because I speak Spanish, but the other guests staying there needed some translation help. We were very tired after a long flight, so opted to eat dinner at the hotel that night. The food was quite good, but very overpriced compared to other meals we had. However, for the convenience, I’m not sorry we ate there. Prices aren’t shocking if you are used to paying US prices for restaurant meals. Breakfast was delicious the next morning, and included in the room rate. Overall, this was a quiet, peaceful place to get a good night’s sleep to start off our vacation.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Sherrylvalentine, Owner at Vina Romantica, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

As the owner, I wanted to say thank you to you for your help in translating for my staff while I was enjoying my first holiday in 4 years with my family and gorgeous 5 year old granddaughter in Seattle. I had hired an extra English speaking university student, but he could not be there all the time. Thanks again and I'm back in paradise as of January 22, 2010.

We continue to repair the cosmetic damage from the 6.0 earthquake that shook us up last year. As we speak are repairing the exterior and interior cracks and continue to maintain our small corner of beautiful Costa Rica.

Pura Vida,
Sherry Valentine

Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed at the Vina Romantica for our first and last night of our Costa Rica trip. We stayed in different rooms the two nights, and both were very nice, clean and comfortable. The breakfasts each morning were great. The owners were very welcoming and friendly, and we enjoyed the welcome drink. For our "hello" night we walked down the road a bit to a nearby restaurant, which was good and cheap, and we felt safe walking around. For our "goodbye" night we ate at Vina Romantica, and the meal was delicious. The only drawback was that it was some distance from the airport, which was not a problem for us because we had rented a car and didn't mind driving through unfamiliar city streets, but others may not be comfortable doing that. If not, I believe the owners are willing to pick up guests at the airport. The flowers in the garden were beautiful, and we enjoyed eating on the terrace. We also enjoyed that this was in a neighborhood, and we did some walking around to check it out. We drove up to the nearby volcano on our last morning, which was a really beautiful drive with great scenery. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stayed at Vina Romantica after a week long visit. We had stayed in Arenal and also near Playa de Conchal, and were just looking for a place near the airport before our return flight. The price was right and the reviews were great, so we booked. The drive up the mountain was a little disconcerting, but once we arrived the owners (?) made us feel right at home. It was great to hear some American English! They served us a welcome cocktail and suggested several local restaurants for dinner (the one we chose was EXCELLENT!). The parking situation ended up working out for us, but I'm not sure if they could accomodate more than one visitor car. The rooms were clean, and our hosts prepared some take along treats and coffee for us to take on out way out, since we were leaving before breakfast was served. Overall, it was a perfect end to our trip. If we ever go back, I would stay here on our way in as well.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple