I chose this hotel based on the reviews I read on TripAdvisor and so feel the need to report back so that others will consider staying here. We spent the first night of our trip here, coming direct from the airport. It is extremely convenient to the airport but feels like it is a world away up in the hills just outside of Alajuela. On a previous trip I stayed in Escazu but much preferred the location near Alajuela because it seemed much more authentic. There was a mini-mart just down the street and a school right at the corner. It was also on the road to Poas which made an early morning visit possible before the crowds arrived. The location may not be ideal if you are not planning to rent a car, but I do believe there were vans that could be arranged to take you on day trips so I'm not even sure I'd let that deter me.
The proprietor Sherry was extremely helpful right from the start. After I booked the rooms on the internet she offered to assist me with getting a rental car. She was able to get me a better deal than I'd been quoted by other agencies from TriColor which turned out to be great (and they gave us landmark by landmark directions to the hotel).
The rooms were clean (we had the Poas and Garden rooms) and there were great views of Poas from the balcony. The rum welcome cocktails were a nice touch, and the breakfast was amazing. There were even little souvenir bags of coffee from the nearby plantation. Sherry was very hospitable but not at all intrusive.
We parked in the garage, and were able to walk to one of three restaurants for dinner, although we did take the wrong route (make sure you go right when you leave the hotel!)
Some might find the location a bit noisy as there are roosters, neighboring dogs, and while we were there even a local school band practicing, but it all died down at night, and I rather enjoyed this look at local life.
I can't think of anything negative to say about Vina Romantica and would definitely recommend it and go back there myself if I'm ever out that way again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vina Romantica is located just 5 kilometers from the International Airport. We are located in a tiny rural village at an altitude of 4200 feet. It is tranquil and the views of the volcanoes are magnificient. We are on the road to many of the tourist attractions that can be seen in one day. There are many very good restaurants in the area. You can relax and enjoy the true Costa Rican life style while staying at Vina Romantica. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Vina Romantica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vina Romantica Alajuela
- Vina Romantica Hotel Alajuela
- Vina Romantica Costa Rica/Alajuela