“Beyond Expectations”
Review of Vina Romantica

Vina Romantica
Ranked #42 of 61 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I chose this hotel based on the reviews I read on TripAdvisor and so feel the need to report back so that others will consider staying here. We spent the first night of our trip here, coming direct from the airport. It is extremely convenient to the airport but feels like it is a world away up in the hills just outside of Alajuela. On a previous trip I stayed in Escazu but much preferred the location near Alajuela because it seemed much more authentic. There was a mini-mart just down the street and a school right at the corner. It was also on the road to Poas which made an early morning visit possible before the crowds arrived. The location may not be ideal if you are not planning to rent a car, but I do believe there were vans that could be arranged to take you on day trips so I'm not even sure I'd let that deter me.
The proprietor Sherry was extremely helpful right from the start. After I booked the rooms on the internet she offered to assist me with getting a rental car. She was able to get me a better deal than I'd been quoted by other agencies from TriColor which turned out to be great (and they gave us landmark by landmark directions to the hotel).

The rooms were clean (we had the Poas and Garden rooms) and there were great views of Poas from the balcony. The rum welcome cocktails were a nice touch, and the breakfast was amazing. There were even little souvenir bags of coffee from the nearby plantation. Sherry was very hospitable but not at all intrusive.
We parked in the garage, and were able to walk to one of three restaurants for dinner, although we did take the wrong route (make sure you go right when you leave the hotel!)
Some might find the location a bit noisy as there are roosters, neighboring dogs, and while we were there even a local school band practicing, but it all died down at night, and I rather enjoyed this look at local life.
I can't think of anything negative to say about Vina Romantica and would definitely recommend it and go back there myself if I'm ever out that way again.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank recycledracer
There are newer reviews for Vina Romantica

Reviewed 16 March 2010

We chose this B&B for its location, close enough to San Jose International Airport that we would not have to drive too far after our flight from the U.S., and yet far enough to be away from the city. It was perfectly situated. The room was very clean, and breakfast was wonderful. Sherry was a very gracious host. This is a small, intimate place to stay located in a residential neighborhood. Poas Volcano is an easy drive from here, and Sherry's local knowledge was a fabulous transition for us into our 10 day tour around Costa Rica.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julie s
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We chose this B&B because it was about 10 minutes from the San Jose airport. We found a friendly American expat owner with southern charm and hospitality. The location is actually perfect if you don't want or need to be in San Jose proper (although we learned that not all of the shuttle companies pick up or drop off in Alajuela). Pleasant outdoor patio, dining, and sitting areas with views of the valley. The food on the a la carte dinner menu was brought in from off-site, but it was tasty. Comfy bed and pillows, remote controlled ceiling fan, and adequate space and lighting in the room. No TV in the room. The room rate included the cost of the taxi to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Sherrylvalentine, owner at Vina Romantica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2010

Thank you for all your kind words about Vina Romantica. Just a short note to others - all our food is prepared right on site here at Vina Romantica from the freshest local ingredients by our local chef - Jovita.

You can see our video on the website that shows LaFerria where we purchase our food. It's a great place to visit when you are here.

Warm regards from Sherry

Reviewed 27 February 2010

Charming, clean, comfortable and ideal location. Food is very good, Sherry is the perfect host.

Reviewed 22 February 2010

Vina Romantica is the perfect place to stay upon arriving or prior to departure from Costa Rice. It is very close to the airport, but far enough away that it feels like an entirely different part of the country. The location is quite and surrounded by fields of coffee beans. There is a coffee plantation nearby which I highly recommend as a destination. The owners even drove us there to purchase coffee for friends and family back home. There is also a good restaurant close to the B&B with spectacular views of the central valley. The food at Vina Romantica was good. The hospitality was amazing! We were assisted with restaurant recommendations, taxi to/from the airport (they even pay for cab fair one-way to/from the airport), and my wife and I were greated with a nice cocktail upon arrival. I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

Sherry runs a friendly, cosy, bed and breakfast. It's a short drive out of Alajuela on the road to Poas volcano so it's easy travel to destinations in that area. It's also a pretty easy drive to Arenal as your next stayover destination.

My wife and I both thought Vina Romantica was a great place to launch our Costa Rican vacation. Sherry was very helpful arranging a rental car and providing directions and useful information. Beds are super-comfortable. Roosters and an occasional moped might break the early morning quiet but if you can't sleep through it Sherry will provide you with earplugs. Didn't need them as I slept soundly.

We had a great meal in her restaurant the first evening but we weren't able to try her special prix-fixe dinner as it does require some advance notice.

Close to the airport (not too close). Comfortable accomodations. Great breakfast.

We'd definitely return again!

1  Thank wellfleetoysters
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Vina Romantica is located in the Las Pilas area of Alajuela which is a friendly and safe area. Its proximity to the airport is a plus. The staff arranges for taxi transportation to and from the airport for a nominal charge. Transportation for a day or two of sightseeing with an English speaking guide can also be arranged. Myself and 2 other guests were taken on a tour of the local coffee plantation by the owner. The highlight of my stay at Vina Romantica was the food. The Costa Rican chef is very talented. The breakfasts & optional dinners were first class. I especially appreciated the special attention to providing diabetic friendly meals for me.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo