“Perfect for budget travelers - not far from airport, local charm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel Los Volcanes B&B
Ranked #3 of 58 Alajuela B&B and Inns
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Perfect for budget travelers - not far from airport, local charm”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here on our first and last nights in Costa Rica. It's a reasonable cab ride from the airport (also in Alajuela, not San Jose), and is welcoming and homey. My friend the super budget traveler found this for us, and she and her son chose a room with a shared, hallway bathroom. My daughter and I paid only slightly more for a room with a very small private bath. The rooms are simple, but the hotel staff is very helpful, and the inner corridor and courtyard with fountain are very charming in a tropical way. There's no WiFi in the rooms, but it's fairly strong in the small lobby near the entrance, which we didn't find to be a hardship. We really enjoyed our cooked-to-order breakfast (included) on the 2nd morning, so were disappointed to have to leave too early on our last day to be able to enjoy it again.

Room Tip: WiFi in the lobby
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Flamingo
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My friends have stayed here previously and recommended it and it was a fantastic option. Living in Guanacaste this will be our place to stay when needing to get down to the city but not be in the center. The hotel is well looked after, homely and with a 16 month old in tow the staff were very child friendly!! Breakfast was a little of everything, simple and delicious. The staff were very helpful and i would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank divechic2
santa teresa , costa rica
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I enjoyed my first night and last night on my Costa Rica travels at Hotel Los Volcanes. The international airport is not in San Jose, it is in the city called Alajuela. Upon my arrival and departure i had a choice of the US generic chain hotels across the highway from the international airport, or for a 5 minute cab ride i could stay in the center of a true Tico city, Alajuela. So i took the chance and went with Los Volcanes. The hotel is located one block from the main town park/square. It is safe to walk the area and observe how the Ticos live and function in a city not full of foreigners. A variety of good local food is a short walk from hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. Of course it is not like a generic chain hotel, it is a Tico hotel in a grand old Tico home. I did not come to Costa Rica for a modern world experience, i can get that at home, i came here to see the country and observe the culture. It is not a first world country, it is a challenge everyday to get where you want to be when you want to be there. That is the culture. I learned to slow down, go with the flow and try to learn a bit about the culture and beautiful natural environs. Los Volcanes is owned and run by Ticos. The owner, staff and the hotel itself were a good intro for my Costa Rican adventures. My last night, before my international departure flight, was spent where the whole trip began, a Tico hotel. A good choice to end my travels in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the newer rooms, or a room located in the back of the hotel away from the street f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I flew in from the states and arrived late afternoon...too late to start on my journey to La Fortuna for the first leg of my trip, but early enough that I could explore a little.

I did NOT want to go to San Jose after hearing (and later experiencing) some not so great things about it. Alajuela is the closest city to SJO airport and it was about a $6.00 cab ride from the airport.

I arrived and the city of Alajuela may not be particularly pretty, but it was small, easy to navigate and I ended up loving it there. I was greeted and checked in my a lovely middle aged guy who gave me a map of the city and helped me figure out the bus schedule the next morning. I had asked for a quiet room in the back/courtyard when I made my reservation and they confirmed it, but I ended up getting room #3 which is right near the front office and I was pretty worried about noise from the street, which there was a lot of.

The hotel is surrounded by a gate that closes at 9pm and I felt very safe the entire time I was there...the room was clean, plenty big, hot water in the very clean bathroom, fresh towels, etc. I couldn't have asked for more. My only complaint was street noise and there was some kind of party happening next door and there was very loud music until about 11pm. Bring ear plugs, that's all I can suggest. It's on a busy street.

You can walk to plenty of restaurants, cafes and a little park from here and the next morning I had breakfast (in the back courtyard) and the front desk guy had called me a cab ahead of time without me even asking because he knew which bus I had planned to take!

Super impressed and an excellent start to my trip. I will return to Costa Rica indefinitely, and will always come to Alajuela (and this hotel) over anywhere in San Jose.

Room Tip: Get a room in the courtyard towards the back and away from the street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Grecia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel should get 5 stars for web site creativity The room photos were probably taken in the 1950s. They haven't been updates since, Los Volcanes is generally a dirty, threadbare, tired old hotel. We thought it would be a reasonable alternative to the generic chain hotels near Juan Santamaria airport. They claimed to offer hot water, free breakfast and a free taxi to the airport, I tried to take a shower before our morning flight, but the water was ice cold - not a hint of warm. We got a glimpse of the kitchen where the breakfast was prepared, and it was filthy. We quickly decided to grab our free taxi and eat at the airport. The "free" taxi turned out to be the desk clerk handing us 2,000 colones. The taxi cost another 1,000 colones. All in all, Hotel Los Volcanes was an epic fail. The room MIGHT have been worth $35 USD, unfortunately they charged $75 USD.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Greg P
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I can't say enough about Jose and the other gentleman who are most often working the front desk. They are kind and warm and helpful. We enjoy staying there - we find Alajuela to be a much more pleasant place to be than San Jose. (We live in a city so we don't need to be in one on vacation!) This is a great place to stay on your way into CR or out of it. The airport if 5 minutes away and the hotel gives a voucher for the taxi there. Oh, and the breakfast is tasty, too, with fresh fruit and eggs made to order. Oh, and there's bacon!

Room Tip: I like the rooms away from the front desk. Since many people are staying here on their way to airpor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cabuya, Montezuma
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I live in Montzuma and always stay in Sal's nice hotel when flying in or out of Costa Rica. Alajuela is close to the airport, and a very nice safe community with a pleasant friendly central park, a great covered market, and some good restaurant. Los Volcanes is well furnished, does a great breakfast and most of the staff have been there many years. Sal is an exceptionally nice host with a great family.

Room Tip: Get one of the garden rooms (in back)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo