“An oasis in the city”

Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn
Ranked #10 of 61 Alajuela B&B and Inns
“An oasis in the city”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here on the night before we flew home. My only regret is that I didn't know about Trapp Family Inn sooner or I would have stayed there for more nights!

The grounds are lush and beautifully maintained. The staff could not work harder to make their guests feel more at home. The food was good, the room service was amazing---I actually felt almost guilty that we were treated with such concern..I felt like I needed to tell someone that we weren't royalty! We had real china plates, real silverware, linen napkins...no plastic, paper or styrofoam in sight.

You will go through an industrial park to get to this area and you will be thinking "oh my god, where are we going???". But once you get there and the gates open to this oasis you will forget all about the area.

I was sad to leave and if life ever takes me back to San Jose I will be staying here as it will feel like coming home.

If you want a typical hotel experience that you can get in North America...don't stay here. If you want to be treated like family in an inn with character, beauty and history then this is FOR SURE the place for you.

Room Tip: There is not an elevator so if someone in your party has mobility issues remember to ask for a floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hannover
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

A nice and clean hotel.
We spend one night in the Trapp family lodge. Nice big rooms and a nice pool. A good option if you need to stay close to the airport. The breakfast was ok, the owner is very friendly and helpful. If you want to see the volcano Poás, go there early since it can get pretty cloudy from 10 am on.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We spent our last night of 12 in this hotel before an early morning flight back home. The setting was a surprise! The area is very industrial as it's near the airport. I was a bit nervous as we drove up to the entrance but when the gate opened, it was like we stepped into another world! The grounds were beautiful and there was a nice pool. The rooms were spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The best part of this hotel was the restaurant! OMG! The food was amazing! The owner and the other employees made us feel so welcomed. We arriced shortly before the restaurant was supposed to close but they were expecting us and served us dinner without rushing us at all. I highly recommend this as a place to stay in San Jose.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This lodge is near the airport, although you would not want to try to find it without a well-versed Taxi driver or a good GPS! It IS near the airport, and if you really don't want to hear the occasional jet, you might prefer staying in a more hermetically-sealed box of a room. But this lodge has great big rooms with two big double doors opening onto a balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. I found it to be a great place to stay my first night in CR, after arriving on the typically late-evening-arriving flight. It is a real Central American hotel, with gardens and a big open-air restaurant. I also stayed there the night before catching my morning flight out. The staff is very accommodating. It is located in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood (not really bad, just somewhat industrial), but the property is large and isolated, and they have an armed security guard roaming around at night, so I wasn't the least bit worried.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms might be slightly better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at this place upon our arrival in Costa Rica. We got there just after dark which was a little tricky in finding. (Be SURE to get a GPS! There are no such things as addresses in the whole country, only names of establishments and/or descriptors. Yikes!) As directed, we left the main road and ventured down a dirt path of about 50-100 meters, scratching our heads and saying "uh, oh." At the end, there was a sign with an arrow for the Trapp Family Inn, and a little security shack-type abode that looked a bit ominous. We were immediately met by a young man who checked our name on the reservation list, after which he opened the gate and directed us inside. Rounding the bend in our rented little SUV (unless you are, perhaps, staying right in San Jose, a 4-wheel drive is a MUST in this country, trust me!!!), we were simply relieved and positively delighted at the sight before us. Gorgeous!

There are two buildings, both in classic/romantic Latin American style: one housed the reception area and the restaurant, as well as a couple other very attractive sitting spaces, the other housed eight sleeping rooms, each with a balcony that overlooked a small, clean swimming pool. (We normally avoid having a room that looks onto a hotel's pool, but this one actually melded beautifully into the graceful tropical landscaping.) Another young man appeared and both fellows carried our luggage upstairs. Our room was large and wonderful. Two sets of doors opened onto our balcony. The grounds were handsomely lighted and the whole scene really delighted us.

We were beyond hungry after traveling all day. We dined in the open air veranda of the restaurant on a table set with linen and silver. The wine selection was limited but adequate. Our waiter (one of the young men who helped us with the bags) was most attentive and courteous. (I'm annoyed with myself for forgetting his name, because I want to compliment him here on his good care. Could it have been Alejandro?) Monica (who normally does the reception, I believe) prepared our dinner and breakfast, in the absence of the regular chef who apparently had to call off ill. I had some sort of chicken breast with lemon sauce which was quite good, and I ordered some chimichurri sauce to add to my rice. Brilliant! My husband had a rib eye which was quite different than what one would get at home; just saying that as a heads up. Monica did a fine job (cooked us breakfast, too), and the setting and service were conducive to a lovely evening and a comfortable stay.

Other reviewers have described this place well, so we won't add to that.

Sorry we didn't have more time to explore the grounds and lounge by the pool. Looked so tempting. We were eager to relax, and this would have been a perfect place to do it. Very quiet and peaceful. But we needed to get on with the game plan!

We would definitely recommend this place, and suggest that you give yourself ample time to enjoy should you decide to stop in here.

Room Tip: There were no chairs in the room, and the two on the balcony were too large to drag into the room...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Our Family of six just returned from our vacation in Costa Rica. We stayed at 2 different houses, 1 Condo and the Trapp Family Inn. Of all the places we stayed I would have to say that the Hotel Trapp felt more like home than anywhere we stayed. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family or friends alike. If you visit you will definitely meet Karen, one of the most charming people we met on our travels. She will make you feel like you are a welcome addition to her home.
The location in a bit hidden in the local neighborhood but once you enter the gates you will
feel at peace. It is very close to the airport, probably 4 minutes by car, but planes did not bother me or my family a bit. The hotel is styled in authentic Spanish type architecture, on both the inside and out. There are fruit trees on the property that we were allowed to pick from to aid us in our travels.
The only thing it would suggest they do different is re caulk a couple areas in the tub/ shower. Seriously, that is all I would recommend. We loved the place. The Typical style
Tico breakfast we were served was great and the hospitality was without bounds. Karen even saved us a taxi charge by making the effort to call the rental car company for us to come pick us up. Was not anything i had even thought of but they came no problem.
Thanks for a great stay and a fabulous start to our trip.

Room Tip: We got 2 rooms and they were both comparable in quality, small boutique hotel, you can't go wron...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Napa, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

What a surprise after our cruise we spent one night here and came in early enough to enjoy this gorgeous property. Minutes from the airport you arrive at a tropical delight.

Gorgeous colonial building with eight huge rooms overlooking a beautiful garden and stunning pool. We asked for a little lunch and got the best burritos ever all home made and delish.
Dinner was a treat pasta pomodoro rib eye with chimichurri sauce and great dessert. A nice glass
Of Cabernet Sauvignon from chile.

Breakfast was included and was huge. Eggs fruit toast fried bananas and great coffee. Even
The jam was homemade pineapple and papaya made with fresh fruit. Yum.

Transport to and from airport is complimentary as well.

The owner and his wife are great and super accommodating as was the staff.

Cannot say enough for this hideaway.

Larry and doro napa ca.