“Old world charm”

Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn
Ranked #11 of 63 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This place has romantic old world charm, a la Bogart and Bacall, which I have not seen elsewhere in the Americas. Sorry my stay was so brief. If you love chain hotels, you won't like it here.

It's in a sketchy neighborhood, but there is security and fencing. The sounds of the morning birds overwhelmed the room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is so close to the airport you expect to be bothered by aeroplane noise but San Jose airport is small and not busy. This is an ideal place to stay for your first and last night in Costa Rica - which is what we did.

Rooms are spacious and simple. The pool and garden make this hotel a real oasis in an urban area. The food is good, especially the breakfast including typical rice and beans.

I have a painful hip and found all the beds in Costa Rica a bit hard, but my husband slept well! Two double beds in the room is a real bonus.

Be aware that this area is not San Jose itself.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This review is long overdue...my family stayed at the Trapp Family Inn on our way to the Nicoya Peninusula back in mid-January. I wish we stayed there for an extra night; we had such a positive experience and really enjoyed our time there. First of all, it's tucked away on some beautiful land that you'd never expect to be there. The property includes several big rooms, a restaurant and sitting area, a pool, and a gorgeous garden with fruit trees. I enjoyed taking my baby for walks in the morning to look at the flowers and spend time in the grove.
The rooms were lovely; 2 queen beds, a full bath, nice porch, and very clean. No AC, but AC wasn't necessary as the room were cool with the San Jose breeze. Very simple rooms, which we appreciated.
The restaurant was delicious. We had dinner and breakfast there and both meals were amazing. The owner served us, which was a real treat. During breakfast, she asked to hold my daughter and ended up taking her for a short walk, which was very sweet! The owner is very accommodating and helped us make arrangements with taxis, make sure there was a Pack N Play in our room with clean sheets for my baby, made sure we ate our meals when we wanted (they served us early one night because our baby needed to go to sleep early), and offered us coffee as early as 6:30am in the morning.
Overall, we had an incredible experience here. If we ever stay in San Jose again, we will stay longer, and plan to stay at the Trapp Family Inn. The staff made us feel like family and it was one of the most relaxing inns we've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor facing the pool, and on the 2nd floor facing the pool during both o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SJM0806
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here on the night before we flew home. My only regret is that I didn't know about Trapp Family Inn sooner or I would have stayed there for more nights!

The grounds are lush and beautifully maintained. The staff could not work harder to make their guests feel more at home. The food was good, the room service was amazing---I actually felt almost guilty that we were treated with such concern..I felt like I needed to tell someone that we weren't royalty! We had real china plates, real silverware, linen napkins...no plastic, paper or styrofoam in sight.

You will go through an industrial park to get to this area and you will be thinking "oh my god, where are we going???". But once you get there and the gates open to this oasis you will forget all about the area.

I was sad to leave and if life ever takes me back to San Jose I will be staying here as it will feel like coming home.

If you want a typical hotel experience that you can get in North America...don't stay here. If you want to be treated like family in an inn with character, beauty and history then this is FOR SURE the place for you.

Room Tip: There is not an elevator so if someone in your party has mobility issues remember to ask for a floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2014

A nice and clean hotel.
We spend one night in the Trapp family lodge. Nice big rooms and a nice pool. A good option if you need to stay close to the airport. The breakfast was ok, the owner is very friendly and helpful. If you want to see the volcano Poás, go there early since it can get pretty cloudy from 10 am on.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We spent our last night of 12 in this hotel before an early morning flight back home. The setting was a surprise! The area is very industrial as it's near the airport. I was a bit nervous as we drove up to the entrance but when the gate opened, it was like we stepped into another world! The grounds were beautiful and there was a nice pool. The rooms were spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The best part of this hotel was the restaurant! OMG! The food was amazing! The owner and the other employees made us feel so welcomed. We arriced shortly before the restaurant was supposed to close but they were expecting us and served us dinner without rushing us at all. I highly recommend this as a place to stay in San Jose.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This lodge is near the airport, although you would not want to try to find it without a well-versed Taxi driver or a good GPS! It IS near the airport, and if you really don't want to hear the occasional jet, you might prefer staying in a more hermetically-sealed box of a room. But this lodge has great big rooms with two big double doors opening onto a balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. I found it to be a great place to stay my first night in CR, after arriving on the typically late-evening-arriving flight. It is a real Central American hotel, with gardens and a big open-air restaurant. I also stayed there the night before catching my morning flight out. The staff is very accommodating. It is located in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood (not really bad, just somewhat industrial), but the property is large and isolated, and they have an armed security guard roaming around at night, so I wasn't the least bit worried.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms might be slightly better.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hotel La Rosa de America
#7 of 27 in Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 78 in San Jose

Been to Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn? Share your experiences!