“Close to the Airport, Great service and terrific atmosphere!”
Review of Hotel Casa Antigua

Hotel Casa Antigua
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I found Casa Antigua online and was worried that because it was so reasonably priced, something must be wrong there, so I entered with low expectations. I called first and made the reservation directly with the owner, he didn't ask me for a credit card, only an arrival time. I arrived within 20 minutes of what I had told him and he was waiting for me at the front desk. Entering this property is like entering a friends house, lots of comfy sofas and carpets on the floor (you never see carpet in Costa Rica) and you could see that someone poured their heart and soul into decorating this place with a Persian/eclectic theme. My room was basic, but had everything I would need before flying out the next morning. The owner asked me if I was hungry before he showed me the room and I answered that I could eat, truth was, I was starving after a 3 hour bus ride from Quepos. After I got settled, I went back out to the living room and was invited to a backyard fantasy land. There were Middle Eastern lamps, people smoking hookahs, and a beautiful gardens and lights, it was a very cool vibe. The owner cooked me dinner from his Persian menu and it was AMAZING, best food I have ever had in Costa Rica, and the best tea. He told me that he would have cab waiting for me the next morning at 5am, and everything went smoothly, off to the airport I went! I would definitely recommend this place for anyone needing to crash by the airport!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 June 2011

I loved this place! The owner is the best and so very nice! It is worth staying there just to meet him he is so positive and a great chef. He made us a genuine Persian dinner that was to die for. The atmosphere is wonderful, I felt like I was in a palace and after two weeks of roughing Costa Rica staying here really rejuvenated me for the long trip back to the states. Also, there's plastic covers on the beds which for a germ-freak like me is an added bonus. Stay here and you will be truly inspired.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This is a great place to stay when you arrive and depart from costa rica . Its just a $4 cab ride from the airport. Henry the owner and his niece made us feel very welcome.The patio and restuarant are are sorrounded by beautiful 100 year old mango trees .They provide wonderful day beds on the patio covered by persian rugs and pillows.They have a great free breakfast with toast ,juices, fruits and coffee or tea.Definitly a great place to unwind whether arriving or leaving C.R. I have stayed sevral times and i'm a customer for life.Be sure to have dinner there...the best beef I've eaten in C.R. their kabobs are awesome.Try the soup I believe called (ash) it's really good.They also make great home made bread similar to a pita..right there in an oven imported from Persia ..A+++

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. expect to pay $60 to $ 100
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Headin-to-Costa-Rica
Reviewed 27 January 2011

This is a beautiful place and I dare to say the best in the neighborhood. It is a bit noisy sometimes, though all hotels around the airport have the same problem. But this place worth its beauty, uniqueness, and nice hospitality. You just arrive here and feel home!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We stayed here after driving past the place several times over the years. The place is 5 minutes from the airport and is perfect if you have an early flight out. The continental breakfast was up and running ar 4:00AM so you don't have to eat airport or airplane food. The owner is Persian and the restaurant has great persian meals. It's difficult to find food other than the standard fare at most places here so his menu was refreshing and delicious. Tons of wood art and very well done with a Middle Eastern touch. It's close to the airport so don't expect a silent night till after 8:00pm. After traffic dies down the place is quiet and comfy. Henery has done a fantastic job of making a nice and comfortable place. This is the place to stay for your last night in country. We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Casa Antigua was recommended to me by the Interbus company. What a great find. Close to the airport so you will hear a passing plane now and again, but the atmosphere totally makes it worth it.
Pool in the back, GREAT food, and the owner is amazing.
Fresh juice for drinks. Close to the casino for those who are interested. The street location is busy, so it was a bit nerve wracking at first. but once you enter the doors, its a different scene. Its peaceful and wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Here is my story:

Eight strangers get stuck at the airport because Spirit Airlines would not let us board the plane because "we didn't arrive in time to board" (that is another story)!

I call Hotel Las Orquideas, where we stayed at the start of our trip and the woman recommended Hotel Antigua, and I am so glad that she did.

Hotel Antigua is located minutes from the Airport, and is the prefect place to spend a night. Henry the owner is wonderful. Although the kitchen was not open he made everyone in the group a salad and asked us if we would like for dinner. STAY FOR DINNER, the food was out of this world. The group of eight strange instantly became good friends by the time we left the next morning

The rooms are fine, although the street noise is loud. If possible I would recommend an interior room. The decor is funky and bright. There is a small pool and plenty of space to relax and hang out. Contiental breakfast consisted of ceral, rolls, juice and coffee.

I highly recommend this place. While it would have been nice to get home on time, I am glad that we had the chance to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family