“We love this place!”
Review of Hotel Casa Antigua

Hotel Casa Antigua
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We travel in and out of Costa Rica several times a year and Hotel Casa Antigua is often our first or last stop. It is close to the airport and a great place to relax and unwind from traveling. We love the dacor and the owner Henry. He is a wonderful host along with his staff.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here last July on our way home to the states. I had been injured in a motorcycle accident and the owner was very accommodating. He made us feel very welcome which we appreciated. The room we stayed in was clean and even had HBO. We ate at the restaurant and were amazed by the food. The ambiance was very unique and when we commented on it the owner told us "that's because it was built with Love". It was a great place to wrap up our vacation and I would suggest it to anyone going to or from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hackeesac
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Just five minutes from the Juan Santamaria international airport, (SJO) which is both good and bad. Great for the convenience of getting to and from the airport. Not so great that it's under the flight path. Definitely ask for a room away from the street. Even at that, it's very noisy with truck traffic all day and night. Even shakes the building. Being such a light sleeper, I thought I wasn't going to get a bit of sleep, but surprisingly, I got a great night of sleep and woke rested and ready to start my day.

The owner, Henry, apparently designed and decorated the hotel, and did a beautiful job of it. Tons of personal touches, made of local hardwoods, I believe. Everywhere you look, you'll find evidence of his love for the place.

There is a nice restaurant on the property, with outdoor seating around the pool. You can choose to sit at a table or recline on the beautiful benches, rugs and pillows.

Henry obviously takes pride in his hotel/restaurant and is wonderful to talk with.

Yes, this is a budget hotel, but it's way more than that. If you're on a budget and want to stay near the airport, this would be the place.

Room Tip: Unless you're hearing impaired, do not stay on the street side.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KarenMooreKerr
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I don't normally ever write reviews unless i'm extremely unsatisfied or very satisfied & appreciative... but I have nothing but good things to say about Casa Antigua and the hotel owner, Henry. I arrived in costa rica as a solo female (in my 20's), who was supposed to meet my friend at the airport right when I got in. However, her flight was delayed an entire day, and there I was alone in an unfamiliar place with a completely changed itinerary (we were supposed to rent a car and drive 3 hrs to our first destination, and i didn't know much about san jose at all as I had not planned to stay there, so was a little weary of the area). I was driven to check out some hotels, thinking the area looked a little run down and was concerned about my safety being alone in a diff country. Right when I walked in Casa Antigua, I felt welcomed. The atmosphere was "homey" and Henry made me feel comfortable and safe staying there, offering to make me soup after my long, stressful trip there. There was also free wi-fi available, which was extremely helpful to me in getting in touch with my friend/family. Henry was very personable and shared some of his experiences/stories with me, and within minutes I was feeling better and safer. I also ate dinner there, which was fabulous! There is a husky dog and the cutest cat that stay there, which adds to the homey feel. My room was nice & clean (just gets a little loud with trucks going by), and the price was reasonable (also comes with breakfast!). Henry really helped me out a lot as far as getting my travel plans set up and offering valuable travel tips...and when my friend arrived the next day, he gave us his # in case we needed anything during our trip, which really gave us peace of mind. It can be rare to meet such genuinely good, nice people.. so I was so appreciative of the service/care I received at casa antigua, especially given the circumstances (being a solo traveler unsuspectingly). I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay near the airport. I'm grateful to have had such a good experience there after a not so good start to my trip! It is a great place to stay and you will be lucky to have met Henry! :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank calict83
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is a great place to stay in San Jose, if you want to be close to the airport. We were very impressed by the owner- Henry, he helped us solving our problem we had with a car rental company. He even offered us some valuable traveling tips and gave us his cell number to call, if we are in trouble when driving in Costa Rica.

His hotel has a nice garden and clean rooms, the breakfast is included in the rate. If you are a light sleeper- ask for a room facing the garden as this place is close to the road and it might get a little noisy.

Overall, it was a great experience. Definitely worth the value !

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Andrejka30
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed at Casa Antigua after an online booking stuff up at another place up the road. Henry made me feel so welcome. The food was a slice of persian heaven. I know people have commented about the noise, but can't say I heard anything between 10.30pm and 4.30am. It is an airport hotel after all! My bed was extremely comfortable and the shower delivered scalding hot water, bliss at the end of a very long day's travelling. Henry, your 'bedouin tent' is as beautiful as the bridal gowns you used to create, I am sure. Thank you for looking after everything. I would recommend for that last night before the early flight! 5 mins to the International airport.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melanie H
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The so called Hotel is more a motel right beside a busy main street and direct under the in- and outbound of the San José airport --- sleep guaranteed only till 5 in the morning, when the first heavy duty truck feels like driving all over you.

The pillow smelled very much from the visitor before and the towels like chloride. The room we got first, wasn't even worth half the price. One side of the about 8 square meters small room was all one big window (Room8) and there were only curtains, which you couldn't really close, because they were to small. The problem was, that there was the way to the parking directly infront of the window. Ergo there was no privacy at all. Early the next morning we requested a better room an also got it. No stinking stuff at last but still felt pretty shabby for the price payed.

The owner had a lot of animals there. Also one dog, which can be found at the parking in a small fenced area, sitting between his own [--]. Looks pretty cruel to me.

To make it a bit shorter now: The breakfast is a disaster! Some cereals. Bananas, Peanutbutter and cream. No juice, no cheese, no eggs, no meat or at least water or anything else. I felt like in a bad joke or more like on the hidden camera or a prank show. I expected someone to jump out from beneath the table yelling that this is all a joke. Unfortunately no one did :(

• Stayed: December 2011