See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Arrived early.. Just in time for breakfast There was 5 others at the table... Poured myself a coffee and within a minute introductions were complete.. A couple from Switzerland going on a tour to Arenal......Two ladies from the US who had been to Margaritas previously on there way to a Yoga retreat on the Pacific and a young man from Germany doing volunteer work on a Turtle Reserve Lots of great conversation.. Got directions how to get where I was going for the day.. Made some new friends ... I really enjoyed my pancakes and scrambled eggs that morning.... I was at Margarita's for two weeks and saw many things that I haven't seen in years . eg. A farmers truck backing up to her door a couple of times a week loaded with fresh fruit and vegetables for her to make her choice...... .At the rear of the kitchen Margarita and her husband have built a large tray where all scrap are laid out daily and dozens of exotic birds come to feed .. At the end of my stay I understood what I heard so often "Thank you .. We love you Margarita... We are coming back"

Date of stay: January 2016
1  Thank BarryW1893
Reviewed 18 September 2015

We learned of Margarita's Guest House from friends and now highly recommend it to all our friends. It is conveniently located close, but not to close, to the San Jose Airport. It has a very homey feel from house, rooms, meals and family owners; you will rapidly become another member of the faimiy.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2015

You really feel like you are part of Margarita's family in this guest house. You are staying in the house together with her extended family. It is like one of the old boarding houses where everyone eats together whatever is served from a big table in the dining room. There are long term lodgers who appear to live there full time. Margarita herself cooks and the rest of her family help out and eat next door in the kitchen. Our rooms were quite simple and this is definitely not a luxurious place. The meals that we served were simple but very healthy with large portions. There was an extensive breakfast with fresh fruit. Margarita herself is very sweet and helpful. It is quite close to the airport, so a good option if you are not looking for luxury and want something simple and authentic.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2015

I had the pleasure to stay Margarita's guesthouse in the past year. I was impressed by the welcoming environment, the nice rooms, and the amazing food that we were served every meal. Margarita is an angel who always tries to please her guests. She is helpful and knowledgeable about the area. It is a great place to stay with family or by yourself. You will have your own room, but meals are taken together with the other guest, just like in the old-day guest and bording homes. Margarita's is literally only 10 minutes away from the airport (not like other hotels, which claim to be close, but in reality they are not), and a tax ride costs only about US$6 or you are even able to take the bus if you wish.
The bus to the city center is right in front of her house, and so is the taxi stop. Margarita's is located in a suburb close to the city center of Alajuela (about 10 minutes by taxi 15 by bus) with banks and stores, and is surrounded by a big garden and lots of nature. I can only recommend Margarita's.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Christine F
Reviewed 23 November 2014

Margarita's Guest House is an inexpensive place to use as a homebase to explore Aleluela or a good stopping spot if you have arrived at San Jose Airport and are heading out to other areas. Margarita will take care of you, feed you three meals a day and care about how you are doing. She will arrange your taxi's or show you where to catch the bus. The accomodations are like home, not fancy but clean and private. She has some permanent boarders who are a great source of information about Alajuela. In her home you back on rain forest jungle and loads of fruit trees. Whenever I come back to Costa Rica I will make this my first stop.

Room tip: You are ten minutes from the airport so you will hear flights...but you will also hear birds singing almost non stop, from her canaries and from the birds outside
Date of stay: November 2014