All reviews home away from home margarita's costa rica taxi airport
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Nice basic rooms in a family home with several long and short term guests staying there. Margarita is very helpful and kind. Food is home cooked and plentiful. Very convenient for the airport and in a residential area.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2017

This was not where we had reserved but the taxi took us here stating he was not sure if it was this place...a similar named place, eventhough I had given him ALL the printed details, so not sure if this was a mistake or on purpose... He originally quoted us $15 US taxi fair at the airport, which was the fee we were told would cost for our actual booked place...(I had also tipped him) This was just a short drive from airport and probably should have cost $7. We had only booked one night as we were heading to Quepos the next morning When we arrived I had asked various questions, were shown a room and nothing was as the photos I had of the actual reservations made... But after a long exhausting 30 hour plus day of travel from Canada, I made the call to just go with it rather than pack up and get another taxi, and later explained to family the error. I also contacted the original booked place to apologize for not showing up and this may not be the first time it happened to guests....
It worked out to be a nice place, you really feel like you are part of Margarita's family in this guest house. Very basic decent accommodations for the four of us in one room with your own washroom and shower. You are actually staying in the guest house together with extended family and numerous guests, some have stayed long term and/or returned to stay again.. Our daughter loved it as she clicked with some American guests that were heading to a RAW VEGAN finca retreat in Dominical area at the coast. Very similar to a boarding house where everyone eats together whatever is served from a big table in the dining room. There are long term guests who appear to live there full time. There are some ladies assisting Margarita with cooking and serving, the rest of her family help out and eat next door in the kitchen. The dinner and breakfast meals that we were served were simple, delicious and very healthy with large portions. There was a varied and extensive breakfast offered as well as fresh fruit. Margarita herself is a very sweet lady and helpful. She was easy to talk to and felt like we had known her for years. There are numerous bird cages with singing canaries (like I grew up with) throughout the dining area and various lil friendly dogs about the property.

This was an interesting welcome to Costa Rica to say the least, and it all worked out

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Arrived early.. Just in time for breakfast There was 5 others at the table... Poured myself a coffee and within a minute introductions were complete.. A couple from Switzerland going on a tour to Arenal......Two ladies from the US who had been to Margaritas previously on there way to a Yoga retreat on the Pacific and a young man from Germany doing volunteer work on a Turtle Reserve Lots of great conversation.. Got directions how to get where I was going for the day.. Made some new friends ... I really enjoyed my pancakes and scrambled eggs that morning.... I was at Margarita's for two weeks and saw many things that I haven't seen in years . eg. A farmers truck backing up to her door a couple of times a week loaded with fresh fruit and vegetables for her to make her choice...... .At the rear of the kitchen Margarita and her husband have built a large tray where all scrap are laid out daily and dozens of exotic birds come to feed .. At the end of my stay I understood what I heard so often "Thank you .. We love you Margarita... We are coming back"

Stayed: January 2016
Reviewed 18 September 2015

We learned of Margarita's Guest House from friends and now highly recommend it to all our friends. It is conveniently located close, but not to close, to the San Jose Airport. It has a very homey feel from house, rooms, meals and family owners; you will rapidly become another member of the faimiy.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2015

You really feel like you are part of Margarita's family in this guest house. You are staying in the house together with her extended family. It is like one of the old boarding houses where everyone eats together whatever is served from a big table in the dining room. There are long term lodgers who appear to live there full time. Margarita herself cooks and the rest of her family help out and eat next door in the kitchen. Our rooms were quite simple and this is definitely not a luxurious place. The meals that we served were simple but very healthy with large portions. There was an extensive breakfast with fresh fruit. Margarita herself is very sweet and helpful. It is quite close to the airport, so a good option if you are not looking for luxury and want something simple and authentic.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family