“Modern, Beautiful view”

Arenal Rabfer Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Lovely hotel situated just next to but not in the town centre so you avoid noisy traffic but you're within a 5 minute walk of all the shops and restaurants. Lovely pool, friendly staff, good food, scenic views of the volcano and the rooms were very stylish. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone visiting the La Fortuna/ Volcano Arenal area.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel as it is the back that faces the volcano
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Arenal Rabfer Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I found the room to be very comfortable and quiet for being in town. Also, the pool is nice and the small balcony relaxing. It's just a short walk to the town square, and while La Fortuna isn't exactly a nightspot destination, it provides some a few good sodas nearby for meals. Don't take any of your meals here unless breakfast is provided, and even then, you might want to supplement their spartan and fairly tasteless fare

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This is a family owned and run hotel. The owners are very friendly and will help you with reservations to attractions in the Arenal area at discounted prices. The hotel is at walking distance of La Fortuna downtown. La Fortuna is a very lively town and you will find plenty of things to do around. Be aware the hotel rooms are very basic, for example, I was thirsty at night and I couldn’t find a way to drink water; they don’t put cups in the room, nor they have a water or ice machine anywhere (not even in the reception or kitchen area). The owner helped me by giving me some ice and a pair of cups which I kept for the rest of the nights we were there. The roof is made of galvanized zinc and when it rains is really loudly (this is very common in Costa Rica). The breakfast is included and is served every morning in the small “restaurant” area, they don’t serve much but is OK to start the day. The hotel has a small heated pool we couldn’t use because it was raining all the time while we were there (we went instead to the host springs, Tabacón and Baldí).

Room Tip: Check for rooms with balcony to enjoy the view of the Arenal area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2013

And that starts right from the name: RABFER stands for the names of the owner's sons (and daughters?). The F stands for Felipe, who was the guy who served us mostly when we were there. I think some other reviewers mention him as well. He was an excellent help at arranging for rides and providing directions!

I love the location of this place. It was about 5 minutes away from the central square, where you have the restaurants and all the tour agents you would want. Excellent food around the area too -- check out my review for Soda Viquez!

The even have a pool, although the weather was far too dreary for us to go play in it. My only gripe with this place is that the toilets still gets clogged very easily. I know it's a common problem with Costa Rican toilets, but it still irks me.

I was impressed by the fact that they made your bed and folded your belongings every morning! So you could go out and do your adventure activities in the morning and come back to a pretty pristine-looking set-up! Excellent touch!

Breakfast is cooked by the owner, a middle-aged lady. She is very polite and provides excellent breakfast, if you are not asking for too much. I personally enjoyed her rice with beans and scrambled eggs.

Room Tip: There is a room that is on the far right of the second floor, which is where we stayed. I liked it...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JacksonFoo
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Unfortunately we were disappointed by this hotel.. When we got there, they showed us our room, which was completely stuck in a corner. The room in itself was so small, and looked like an hospital room, we asked if they had any other available. Felipe ( I think was his name ) was really helpful and accepted to get us another room. The other room had the door facing the pool, which was nice. Unfortunately, though the room was a little bigger, the interior was as bad as before. The furniture is kind of plastic brown, there are no decoration, no paintings, nothing. The bathroom on the otherside was absolutely fine. Shower was very large! Everything was clean though and we appreciated the '' material '' under the door which kept insects from coming in!

The pool was pretty and looked clean but we didn't have the time to try it out! Breakfast was delicious, the woman who cooked for us was friendly and always asked us if we needed anything.

The hotel is very well located, just a few minutes walk from the center and anything you need, restaurants, souvenir shops, tourists centers. Usually from the hotel you don't hear any noise, but one night we had trouble falling asleep because we heard a disco or something not very far, and we heard it very clearly from our room. The 2 other nights we had absolutely no problem.

I have been told this is a family hotel, well we only met one woman and one man. The woman at the reception was not very friendly, she would not even respond to our '' hellos'' when entering the hotel. This created a bit of a weird atmosphere.. Fortunately, most of the time we were dealing with the man, Felipe I think. He was a real treasure! He helped us book every tour we needed, gave us information about restaurants and activities and gave us multiple good advice. He was always smiling and in a good mood. It was truly enjoyable. As I said before, we were disappointed by the room, but his service really saved it !!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Pros
- Excellent location
- Helpful staff
- Pool area
- Small balacony
- Clean bathroom and room

Cons
- Terrible mattress
- Very small bathroom with no where to put your things
- Small room
- Very loud air conditioning unit kept me awake

Room Tip: ask for a room with a mountain view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This is a great family-run hotel in La Fortuna. The rooms are clean and breakfast was homemade. The staff is very helpful with arranging tours and whatever you need around town, but helped me the most when I lost my wallet. Special thanks to Felippe that went out of his way to drive me to then next city so I could get a wire transfer since there are no money transfer services in La Fortuna. He saved the rest of my trip! I would definitely stay here again. Great place and a charming family that run this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo