“Great value, family run hotel in lovely setting”

Arenal Rabfer Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel was a highlight of our stay in La Fortuna. We moved to this hotel after checking into a higher priced hotel in the centre which was noisy, lacked privacy and felt crowded.

This hotel is very central, set on a side street away from the town noise but yet only a minute to walk to the town centre. The hotel itself has been really well designed with a lovely pool area and immaculate gardens. The owners are very friendly and helped us with car hire and day trip planning. The rooms were very clean, as was the entire hotel. Our breakfast each day was a simple, but cooked fresh by the very friendly lady who served us something different each morning during our 3 night stay.

Rooms are simple but more than adequate with a safe and good air conditioning. I would highly recommend this hotel to travellers looking for a clean, safe, friendly and well priced mid rage option in La Fortuna. It was by far the best mid-range option I saw in town.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the terrace level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Arenal Rabfer Hotel

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel is very nice.
It is very close, just a few blocks, from downtown La Fortuna. La Fortuna is a wonderful little town! This hotel has a nice clean pool, great staff and tasty food. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This is a very nice little place - only about 5 mins walk to all the shops and restaurants, good sized room with balcony etc. Breakfast was included but it wasn't massively inspiring so I only had it one morning. The staff are very helpful and booked our trip to the hot springs and onward travel to our next location. I would have liked to maybe stay another night as I don't really feel I saw all La Fortuna had to offer but the weather was a tad iffy whilst we were there and the other half was keen to move on to the beach!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Lovely hotel situated just next to but not in the town centre so you avoid noisy traffic but you're within a 5 minute walk of all the shops and restaurants. Lovely pool, friendly staff, good food, scenic views of the volcano and the rooms were very stylish. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone visiting the La Fortuna/ Volcano Arenal area.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel as it is the back that faces the volcano
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I found the room to be very comfortable and quiet for being in town. Also, the pool is nice and the small balcony relaxing. It's just a short walk to the town square, and while La Fortuna isn't exactly a nightspot destination, it provides some a few good sodas nearby for meals. Don't take any of your meals here unless breakfast is provided, and even then, you might want to supplement their spartan and fairly tasteless fare

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This is a family owned and run hotel. The owners are very friendly and will help you with reservations to attractions in the Arenal area at discounted prices. The hotel is at walking distance of La Fortuna downtown. La Fortuna is a very lively town and you will find plenty of things to do around. Be aware the hotel rooms are very basic, for example, I was thirsty at night and I couldn’t find a way to drink water; they don’t put cups in the room, nor they have a water or ice machine anywhere (not even in the reception or kitchen area). The owner helped me by giving me some ice and a pair of cups which I kept for the rest of the nights we were there. The roof is made of galvanized zinc and when it rains is really loudly (this is very common in Costa Rica). The breakfast is included and is served every morning in the small “restaurant” area, they don’t serve much but is OK to start the day. The hotel has a small heated pool we couldn’t use because it was raining all the time while we were there (we went instead to the host springs, Tabacón and Baldí).

Room Tip: Check for rooms with balcony to enjoy the view of the Arenal area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2013

And that starts right from the name: RABFER stands for the names of the owner's sons (and daughters?). The F stands for Felipe, who was the guy who served us mostly when we were there. I think some other reviewers mention him as well. He was an excellent help at arranging for rides and providing directions!

I love the location of this place. It was about 5 minutes away from the central square, where you have the restaurants and all the tour agents you would want. Excellent food around the area too -- check out my review for Soda Viquez!

The even have a pool, although the weather was far too dreary for us to go play in it. My only gripe with this place is that the toilets still gets clogged very easily. I know it's a common problem with Costa Rican toilets, but it still irks me.

I was impressed by the fact that they made your bed and folded your belongings every morning! So you could go out and do your adventure activities in the morning and come back to a pretty pristine-looking set-up! Excellent touch!

Breakfast is cooked by the owner, a middle-aged lady. She is very polite and provides excellent breakfast, if you are not asking for too much. I personally enjoyed her rice with beans and scrambled eggs.

Room Tip: There is a room that is on the far right of the second floor, which is where we stayed. I liked it...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends