“Hidden gem”

Cuisines: Costa Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had dinner here after following the trip advisor review and found our best value, delicious food, and most authentic experience of our stay. Our waitress, owner maybe, was delightful. We are trying to encourage our kids to speak more spanish, and this was a great chance for them. Our waitress treated them great, encouraged them, and helped them with the words. My wife and kids had authentic (typical) beef and chicken and I had the Sea Bass. The food was delivered quickly, tasted delicious and it ended up costing us about $40. For a full meal, drinks and dessert for a family of four you can't eat at Mcdonalds for that price.

2  Thank Erik H

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was torn between which rating this restaurant deserved. I feel it is rather inexpensive and the food is good. However, I feel the place can be a little cleaner. The menus are a bit on the dirty side. You don't want to eat after touching them. There was a cat walking around. I am an animal lover, but I am also allergic to cats. The cat didn't seem dirty at all but I also don't feel it is not appropriate for a restaurant to have a cat walking around while guests are eating. No one at the restaurant seemed to mind though. Some people might find the staff rude but I feel it is more of a language barrier. I witnessed one having a difficult time communicating with a guest. Since I am fluent in the Spanish language I had no problem and felt they were very friendly.
One thing that was disappointing, is that I believe the juices they serve are in no way natural. They seemed too sweet as if poured from a bottle.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our group of 8 ate at Soda Viquez our last night in Costa Rica - it was the perfect end to a perfect trip. Soda Viquez is a "local" type place, serving typical Costa Rican fare. The service was very friendly and efficient. Each one in our group really enjoyed their meal. This is not a gourmet restaurant by any stretch, but serves very good food at reasonable prices, in a friendly and open atmosphere.

1  Thank luvtravel123
Reviewed 26 April 2014

skip the overpriced touristy places in Fortuna and go here. Excellent food - get the tropical shakes - very friendly staff and good prices.

1  Thank Tom D
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Food was awesome - especially the casado plate. This is a place that many locals, such as taxi drivers and hotel staff, go to eat. English is barely spoken here. Had a great conversation with "Rosa," possibly one of the owners.