“I love this place!”

Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I´ve been at Princesa de la Luna 4 times already, I love how peaceful this place is, I feel like at home but with beautiful views. I really recommend this place if you are one of those that enjoy nature and a peaceful place to stay.This is the perfect place for family, friends, couples, even if you go on your own, I was able to go to the Arenal Volcano in a matter of minutes, I love walking in the middle of nature and get to its pool to have a nice time, and because of its location it is very private. Hope you enjoy it the same way I do!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marcela S

Reviewed 24 July 2013

To be fair, my family and I were not prepared for just how Eco this ecolodge is. Bizarrely, there was no one around when we arrived, in the swelter of late afternoon, after a really rough ride up to the lodge. The pool was empty, the veranda was nice enough but would feel too crowded with more than a couple of people. We sat on the veranda, walked around the grounds for an hour and still no sign of a soul. There's no ac, the fan in our room didn't work, and did I mention there was no one around? It felt like the zombie apocalypse, which would be the only time I'd consider staying here. It is a step up from camping, but for the price, didn't seem worth it. Oh, and I never got my money back.

Room Tip: Don't go here unless you want a step up from camping
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank LSinNJ
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Definetely Luna Ecolodge is a very unique place where you will really enjoy GREEN LIVING; it is an amazing ecofriendly refuge, and its rustic buildings with hardwoods brings you such great atmosphere to get relax, we love it !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoaneHowell
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I gave this hotel a 5 star review and I stand by it. But you need to know there are a few quirks, although, I think these quirks make it all the better. 1st, you should have your own car and preferably a 4 wheel unit. The dirt road is rough with steep hills. If the road is wet it is going to be very difficult to get in or our. 2nd the drive up the road takes just as long as it does to get into La Fortuna. 3rd, the cabin we stayed in is plain and a little buggy, although it didn't bother me but it might bother others. We were in a cabin away from the main building which was nice and quiet, there were a few bugs inside, but who cares, you are in the rainforest and they don't bother you. The views of Mt Arenal are truly amazing from this hotel and next time we come we will definitely be staying here again. Also, the food was nice although dinner was a bit pricey.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank IndianaGeologist
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I wanted my girls to experience Costa Rica and not from a resort. This place worked perfectly.Simple accommodations with very friendly people. Jonathan is awesome and very helpful.I would recommend renting a car since it is expensive to take taxi when you want to get around. It is a beautiful place and beautiful country.

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 2 have great views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank terri j
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Arriving at the lodge at dusk, I was first struck by the well proportioned rooms, and the spacious veranda. I then went swimming in the exquisitely set pool, under large fern trees, showered by warm tropical rains; I haven't felt that alive in many years. The friendly owner and his local staff then cooked up a sumptuous traditional meal for us—I literally thought that the starters would have been passable as a whole dinner! We spend some unforgettable afternoons in peace and quietness on the property, just gazing into the forest and waiting for the volcano to lift its cloud cover (which it dramatically did in the end). We ended up staying an extra night.

All that being said, this property is being developed as a working fruit farm and the staff is stretched thinly by their many ambitious projects. There are many minor (and, depending on your standards, not so minor) issues; just read all the reasonably sounding reviews carefully and you will get the picture. But I couldn’t imagine a nicer place to watch the colourful birds and butterflies, peak into the cloud forest on the mountain slopes leading towards Monte Verde, and slowly sip a cup of coffee.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hobobaby
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My husband and I and another couple spent 2 nights at Princesa de la Luna from February 19-20. We loved the grand verandah, we felt like we were in Africa looking out at the rainforest. We sat out on the very comfortable outdoor furniture and read, played with Paco and the other neighbourhood dogs and chatted with Jonathan. It was so unique and we were so glad to have the two bedrooms right off the verendah and to use the outdoor shower.

We ordered dinner for one night and had the traditional rice and beans along with other great food. All 4of us us agreed that this was a unique find - very rustic, but comfortable and like being one of the neighbours. We would HIGHLY recommend Princesa de la Luna for travellers who are okay being a bit off the beaten path and can enjoy sitting at night listening to the jungle sounds. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple