“Perfect Jungle Hideaway”

Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I booked a few nights at Princesa de la Luna somewhat last minute and were blown away with how perfect it was for us. If you're looking for someplace with a laid back, quiet, out-of-the-way feel without it actually being too far out of the way, this is it. It doesn't feel as polished as a fancy resort, but that's a huge part of what we loved about it. The lodge and property are organic feeling, but still comfortable. The property itself was so beautiful we ended up spending an entire day of our trip just hiking around the semi-groomed trails, checking out the nearby waterfall, swimming in the rustic little jungle pool, and reading on the beautiful deck. For whatever reason, there didn't seem to be many bothersome bugs around, which Jonathan, the owner, said is normal for the area for whatever reason. Jasmine, the cook, did a great job with everything she made us. We were greeted with fresh salsas, guacamole, and drinks when we arrived late the first night. We had fresh fruit and fruit juice, arepas, eggs, beans, and rice for every breakfast. Jonathan made sure to leave lunch prepared for us in the fridge the day we stayed on the property all day. It was great to have the place all to ourselves. We had a nice, big king-sized bed with comfortable pillows and a comfortable mattress, a good-sized private bathroom and big, pretty windows with a great view of Arenal. There was no hot water, but it was warm enough during the day it didn't matter much. The road up to the lodge was in pretty rough shape, but we made it to and from every day with a two-wheel drive car without any trouble. Plus Jonathan said he's working with the city to get it grated soon. He was a wonderful host, happy to chat with us and get to know us but aware enough to know when to leave us to ourselves. We went into La Fortuna and on several day trips during our stay, all of which were fun, but we were always excited to get back to the lodge. Can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ssmurphey

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We hiked to the river and decided to travel up the river to the mini waterfall. This was a big undertaking since we don't exercise very often. It was a time that brought my wife and I closer to each other. We met two other couples and had a great time traveling to town to the Hot Springs and Dinner the second night. Jonathan was an excellent host. He has lived and traveled all over the world. He brings a lot to the experience. The rooms were open air (no ac) which I thought might be a problem but it turned out to be alright. Keep in mind bumpy roads, It's in the Jungle. This lodge was built by Jonathan and has a relaxing atmosphere. You like to cook? bring food as you have full use of the kitchen including fridge. The meals were great (extra cost), let Jonathan know if you have any special requests ahead of time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge, It was my first time out of the country, COSTA RICA what an amazing country to visit and to arrive to...it was the best location I've ever stayed in, everything was in order, the host, what a great person. the views where out of this world...and if you love the outdoors, hiking or just bird watching, then I highly recommend it, lots to do in and around town, lots of friendly people. some gentle. I hope to visit again in the near future....

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Princesa de le Luna is not just an eco lodge, it is an experience. It is perfect for a large family or a group of friends wanting a total Costa Rican rainforest experience. As you drive down the road leading to Princesa you soon realize that you are off the beaten path. It takes a good 10 mins to get to the house down a rocky road which for me just added to the appeal. Once you have arrived you are smack dab in the middle of the rainforest with a breath-taking view of the volcano. Staying at Princesa you have your own piece of paradise with lush landscaping and no one around for miles. An incredible staff that feels like family serves you a delicious breakfast every morning for a small fee. There are trails to hike and even a small waterfall on the property which almost feels like you are discovering it for the first time. This is the place where you let down your hair and enjoy being one with nature. If you are looking for an authentic Costa Rican experience and aren't afraid of what comes with being in a rainforest environment then this is the place for you!

1  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge on my first trip to Costa Rica. I had the time of my life. This place is perfect for large groups. There are many areas for large groups to hang out. It is located right in the middle of the rainforest. You are guaranteed to see a lot of nature if you stay at this beautiful place. The staff is amazing, extremely accommodating and super friendly. The owner Jonathan will become a friend to you. The food is delicious. They even make you fresh fruit juice from the delicious fruit found on this lovely property. Every morning Jonathan greeted us with a smile and brought you a cup of coffee, juice or whatever you fancy :) We opted for the breakfast package because we were out and about doing excursions during the day but they will make you whatever meals you would like :) We had dinner waiting for us when we arrived on the first evening and it was delicious. They really made us feel at home. You can go on hikes, hang out at the bar, go in the pool, relax in the Jacuzzi or just simply sit in a hammock and take it all in. They even have an outdoor shower. You will not be disappointed. I highly recommend this little piece of heaven!!!

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to stay in the room that had the outdoor shower but every room has an indoor bath...
1  Thank Jeanine I
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Princesa De La Luna, I have been to Costa Rica only once and had the time of my life. My journey started in La Fortuna. We arrive to a sign that points to Princesa De La Luna and we take that path. The path is a small yet bumpy road covered in beautiful plants and flowers...it looks amazing! The house is spacious with many rooms each with its own bathroom and multiple beds. Easily held myself and 13 friends. They provided us with a breakfast every morning which i think was option. But the banana pancakes and eggs were heavenly. Everthing is open air, you can see humming birds eating at the hanging bananas right across from you while you eat breakfast. We had paths you could hike to waterfalls and a pool. The house keepers are very friendly and washed our wet clothes without us asking that were hanging out to dry. Their are several dogs all friendly. The perfect tricked out jungle house to relax, party and commune with nature in. Please stay here, you wont regret it. Special thanks to Jonathan the owner, who looked after us and whatever we needed he helped to facilitate.

1  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I am a group tour guide who started my business because I fell in love with Costa Rica. After traveling to fourteen countries, I found my sweet spot and started to take groups over to show everyone what a truly unique and amazing country it is.

La Fortuna has always been such an amazing spot for me. Where else can you scoot around town with a view of a massive active volcano every where you go! The rainforest is so beautiful as well as the wild life and all the local hot springs. This is a town everyone should visit.

Recently I stumbled upon Princesa De La Luna. I brought my first group last November and it was an unforgettable experience. This is the perfect place to submerge yourself into true culture and nature. Jonathan, the owner is such a great person. He makes us feel like family. The neighbors come to cook and clean for us, they will even do your laundry. The house has 2 floors of common areas, plenty of lounging areas as well a a huge dining room area, kitchen and bar area. It has a naturally spring fed pool and jacuzzi. There are 2 rooms attached to the 2nd floor common area and 3 cabin type rooms just outside of the common areas. The common areas are all open air and the rooms are all enclosed. He can fit a few beds in each room and all rooms have a bathroom as well as the common area. It is almost like camping but so much better! The property is amazing as you have a great view of the volcano and the rainforest. There are sweet dogs that live on the property and are always in the mood for playing.

To me this is TRUE Costa Rica.. Forget all the over the top luxuries you find at typical Americanized hotels and dive into what is truly Costa Rica. Nature at its finest along with home cooked typical food. This place truly makes you feel like a guest in a home. Your home away form home! After all, traveling is all about adventure and new experiences. Enjoy!

And.. Forget the sweaty stinky fitness centers.... you have the rainforest to hike in... much cleaner air :)