“The real Costa Rica Experience.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Princesa de la Luna is a wonderfully rustic eco-lodge that allows you to get the true feel for life in the rainforest of Costa Rica. The lodge is located in close proximity to all of the activites in the Arenal area such as zip lining and hot springs. The view is astonishing from every vantage point and hiking on the property provides breathtaking scenery.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I really do not know where to start.. This place was just amazing a true piece of paradise in the jungle. I got time to explore around Princesa.. this place is huge..(i got lost couple of times but found my way lol).. I met so many wonderful people though out my stay.. Johnathan (owner, great guy) William, Estaban, Gerlad, Jasmin (great cook) and Wayne.. It was a blessing being around them.

If you are looking for a laid back eco lodge experience with plenty of outdoors...Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge is the place for you. Go out there and experience the fun 1st hand. I loved this place and it's people..Created beautiful memories.

Much love. and Thanks to John, WIlliam and Gerald for the great hospitality. Felt like family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank moataz d
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Very strange experience. Seems that the total place was deserted, except for a dog.
The community cuisine is so dirty, my husband and I couldn't believe it.
The only person we saw was a volunteer...
The room was not clean. We drive to lake Arenal and found a lot of accommodations for less $$
Don't be fooled by the pictures.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Helene B
Soto11PV, Manager at Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I am sorry that you say you had a strange experience...it is an unusual place and most people appreciate that we are different to a normal hotel.
First I think it is important If we know when a guest is going to arrive then we can be ready to receive them, it is not possible to have someone waiting just in case a guest may arrive sometime during the day unannounced. Princesa de la Luna is a big place 25 acres we have a big maintenance schedule with tasks being carried out all the time.
The kitchen is in the heart of the house and because as it is an open plan design, always visible and in frequent use then it should always be kept clean and presentable so the staff are guilty as you say it was dirty and this is an error and should not happen ...We provide a full service but also allow guests to use the kitchen and someone may have just used the kitchen and it had not been cleaned up, which may have been the case here.
I do not know how you knew that your room was not clean if you did not know which room you would have had. It always helps us to know the estimated arrival time.
We have hundreds of fotos on the Internet ,nearly 200 taken by guests posted on Tripadvisor..and many elsewhere in the internet...we offer a completely different experience to a normal hotel as Princesa de la Luna is situated in a large tropical park with waterfalls ,swimming areas in the river , a swimming pool in the valley , the chance to see lots of fuana and flora and explore 6 miles of trails and be close to nature etc....we are not offering just a hotel room. If you had met the staff and other guests you may have had a positive and memorable experience like the vast majority of people who come here , it is an adventurous and social experience, we are not a conventional hotel and so it is not for everyone.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I am not the kind of person who vows return to many places. Florence italy, a couple of restaurants far enough away from my home in ontario that a vow might be neccesary, and now princesa. Just far away enough from civilization. I found a complimentary mix of tranquility and adventure. There are two brilliant waterfalls on site, that the brave can climb, and a pleasant view of the volcano. I did enjoy the company of a wonderful american family over several delicious meals, i think that part of the joy of princesa is the mix and mingle element. The staff were reserved and very gracious, ready to help me with any concerns i had, by the end of the trip i knew them all on a first name basis. Hopefully someday i can return here with my family.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We rented the entire lodge with my husband's family so we could share our love of Costa Rica with them. Our group of 11 people included two children (3 years old and 8 months old). Instead of reserving separate rooms at a local hotel/resort, we thought it would be fun to rent the entire ecolodge for ourselves. The house is beautiful as well as the surrounding property. While I loved many things about the property, too many problems overshadowed our stay.

Cleanliness is an issue. I knew that we were staying at an ecolodge with no maid service and mostly outdoor common areas. The floors in our rooms were not clean. At all. If they had been mopped, the water had not been changed. We wiped the floor of our bedroom with a wet paper towel on the first day and it was brown as mud (floor was a dark stained concrete). The one tub in the house was so dinged/chipped that I didn't want to bathe my baby in it. The dog, Chiquita, smelled like she hadn't been bathed in months and slept on all of the couches which caused the couches to smell like dirty dog. She also urinated in front of us, with another stray dog, on the lower level living room floor and we realized random puddles throughout the home were not caused by rain. She also pooped on the deck as well as kitchen floor and we had to clean it up. Gross. Another favorite thing of Chiquita was to rip up any diaper she could find (clean or dirty). We had to sleep with our door closed because she would root through our personal items and take off with anything that smelled like food. She ended up waking everyone in the lodge two different nights barking non-stop in the middle of the night. When we complained, they tied her up to a railing on one of the little casas where my sister-in-law was staying. Needless to say, the dog wined so much we had to let her go or no one would have gotten any sleep. Someone needs to train the dog. We even took the time to wash out her filthy water and food bowls.

The other major issue was a lack of staff. We turned on our international calling plans for our phones as well as bought phone cards at SJO. Neither worked at the property and 75%+ of the time (other than when people were cooking prearranged meals), we had no way to contact either transportation or call 911 if there was an emergency (we rented an SUV but the road to the lodge is too rough and full of jeeps going canyoning up the road). Thankfully, we had pre-booked all of our excursions or we would have been stuck up in the lodge the whole vacation. One of the rooms automatically locked when my sister-in-law walked out of her room. We walked around the property and after an hour, we had to use a knife to slit the screen to gain access. A normal owner would have left detailed instructions on where to find extra keys, use phone, empty trash, etc.

Finally, someone stole all of our food out of the refrigerator (at least $60+ of sandwich meats and cheese). We had purchased the items to pack lunches and I guess someone in the neighborhood saw a bunch of tourists staying at the house. Scares me to think of people wandering around through our stuff at night while we are sleeping. Very unsafe.

So, with a heavy heart, I can't recommend this lodge to anyone. Feel free to message me for any more information. I love Costa Rica and so glad we returned with our family. Hope this lodge gets these issues worked out. The owner, Jonathan, was absent during our entire visit and is opening another house on the Caribbean. Don't be fooled but older reviews because without him present on the property, things are not being maintained.

Room Tip: Room number one is closest to the volcano view but is so dark that you need a flashlight to find any...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank vanessainsc
Soto11PV, Propietario at Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

am sorry your stay was disappointing and many of your complaints are justified and we will solve these problems.

I think that when it rains as the place is open-plan things can get dirty quickly. we do try to keep everything clean and tidy . The dog Chiquilla is still young and a bit naughty but she very rarely pees and poops in the common areas and if she does do something wrong then she is taught not to do so. She normally sleeps at a cabin far away from the Princessa ....When it rains she can get dirty and smelly quickly she is living in the jungle. She is normally fed and sleeps some distance away from the Princessa and looked after very well. Most people find her very affectionate and fun to be with and hang out and sit with her. But she needs to be kept off the sofas..If there are guests who do not like dogs then we can keep her away from the guests...we appreciate that having a dog like Chiquilla on the premises can cause us to have negative reviews now and again. The majority of people think Chiquilla is a postive .
There seems to have been a communication problem...but taxis are ready in normally about 10 minutes and staff are available to help and respond..... there are staff cabins are behind Casa de Pinas and there is always someone on site ...at times this is a problem because it is a big place.....instructions what to do in such a situation should have been made clear so we are guilty.
The issue of the food being taken from the fridge ...was annoying and I do not know what happened someone obviously took the food. The food was in the communal fridge,but there is a fridge exclusively for clients which should have been explained..so we took responsibility for that and offered to replace it so this should not happen again.
We will get these issues sorted out and make our clients stays as comfortable and happy as we can... this was not typical ,we treat these complaints seriously....sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in many hotels throughout Central America, and Princesa is the place I recall when people ask me about Costa Rica. The humble hotel house sits back, surrounded by tropical foliage, overlooking the jungle valley as a birdwatcher's paradise. The canopies break with fruit trees, where I've watched Chestnut-mandibled and Keel-billed toucans, calling together in the morning.
There's a labyrinth of overgrown trails leading from the main house through magnificent tropical vegetation, presenting a botanical wonderland of heliconias, bromeliads and orchids, fruit trees I've not previously encountered, and many other shapes and colours, scents and sounds, it's truly fantastic.
As the ravine slopes down, the gardens become rainforest and the canopy closes in for a serious jungle experience.
I followed the echoes of howler monkeys and came to the shallow river which runs along the bottom of the ravine and leads to a pleasant waterfall.

Scattered around the common areas are a selection of the best field guides on the tropical flora and fauna of Costa Rica, including Willow Zuchowski's 'Tropical Plants of Costa Rica', giving an insightful evening read as the sun set over the jungle, enticing me for the next day's exploration.

I stayed in room 1, which was large and bright and led out onto the balcony with views of Arenal Volcano National Park. The room also has a delightful free-standing bath tub, the only one I've seen in these parts.
I was free to use the kitchen, make coffee and store food in the fridge.

I found Jonathan to be incredibly insightful of the activities in the area and accommodating to our requirements. William and Yeral were kind hosts who showed us many secrets around the hotel grounds. Thanks again for a delightful stay. I'm hoping very much to return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank newayblue
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Princesa La Luna is a paradise that everyone should visit in their lifetime. It's good to discover a different kind of hotel, another way to travel, to appreciate nature and to live in accordance with it! It is definitely a place where you feel completely immersed in nature, in this case the jungle, and where one has the impression of enjoying the place not as tourists, but as local. In addition to a warm and hospitable staff, rooms really clean, accessible kitchen, enchanting jungle trails, Princesa La luna offers guided tours that allowed me to discover places like no other tourist can do it in La Fortuna, specifically with the Dude Tour, a funny and rewarding experience! If you pass by La Fortuna, you have to go there, no doubt about that!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo