“Perfect hostel experience!”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect hostel experience!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I only spent one night here, but if we'd been in La Fortuna longer we'd have definitely made this our base - it was absolutely perfect!

Room was huge and spotless with a great big bathroom. Was slightly worried about noise as it was downstairs by the pool, but we had no problems at all and slept great.

Bar/pool area is brilliant and we enjoyed a few drinks and a dip there, as well as breakfast which was cheap and yummy.

Best thing about the hostel is definitely the staff, who were super helpful and friendly. Our bags had gone missing from our flight and we asked the airline to send them on to the hostel ahead of our arrival. This was no problem and they staff took care of them and communicated with us to let us know they had them safely.

Location also great for anything in Arenal/La Fortuna area - don't miss the free swimming hole 15mins walk away!

Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Arenal Hostel Resort was awesome. Jenny was great and set up my tours for me. I had to switch rooms because is decided to stay longer and it was to a larger room with full size beds. They didn't charge me more money. They treat their guest great. I would stay there again. I would recommend the Arenal Hostel Resort to anyone going to La Fortuna.
I made a good friend.

Thanks
Jenny

Jeffrey

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2014

There are some great stuff about it and some not so much. We got a private room right next to the kitchen/pool/bar area and couldn't sleep past 7am when everyone headed out for breakfast as the walls are super thin. Except that everything was great! The kitchen is good, the location is great and the secure parking is awesome. At least 3 supermarkets in 5 minutes radius. Butcher shop and a fresh fruit stand right next to the parking lot. The grounds like many other travellers said are beautiful and very well maintained. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Beware that the night guard only speaks Spanish so we had some trouble communicating when we arrived late at night. We never ate from the bar/local food stand but all the food is frozen and we've seen the cook lady drop the food a few times on a few different occasions on the floor and then pick it up and serve to customers regardless

Room Tip: Do not stay in any rooms near the kitchen pool area unless you don't plan to sleep in
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at this hostel for four nights in one of their 6 bed dorm rooms and truly loved the experience. The staff and bartenders were all friendly and spoke good english. The location of the hostel was very convenient. The supermarket, laundromat and many restaurants were all within short walking distance. The hostel itself has a good design and there are many spots to privately sit and chill outside of your room. And there is a morning breakfast buffet that is quite tasty, I ate it everyday that I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Outstanding in so many ways. Stay here. Everything from the service, location, and overall beauty of the place makes it easily the best hostel I've ever stayed in. My only complaint, if I had to make one would be the rooms are quite dark.

• Stayed March 2014
cincinnati, oh
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My sister and I stayed here twice during my trip. The first time, we had made an error in booking and somehow ended up in a large "family" room with 5 double beds. The second time we had a normal "private" room near the bar/pool area. If it was high season, I think it may have been noisy in that second room, but the white noise of the AIR CONDITIONER!!!! drowned any noise out for me.

The pool is small, but a welcome cool-off after a long day of bus travel, and the bar and common areas are very comfortable and encourage mingling. The staff has EXCELLENT English and are very helpful and accommodating. A very full breakfast buffet was available for a small fee ($7USD when I was there).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a nice hostel for budget travel. I occupied one room, and found that it could have more character - the interior is plain (i.e., nothing). But the garden, the atmosphere, the friendly staff well make up for the quality of the room.

Sometimes I did not have hot water (it was warm), but this is a minor problem for Costa Rica and for a hostel. These guys are very good with security - once I checked out, they remembered I am not a guest anymore when I stopped by to pick my bags. That might not sound quite friendly, but definitely is very safe.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo