My wife, our seven-year-old and I stayed for two nights in the lower of the property's two bungalows. We had a great time, and recommend GreenLagoon -- but it's not a bargain!
- An incredibly lovely site, high above La Fortuna on the edge of the cloud forest next to Cerro Chato, the Arenal volcano's dormant little sibling. Wonderful views of the valley and the forest from the bungalow's small porch.
- Right next to the La Fortuna river waterfall, well worth the short walk. With a 7-year-old we walked the longer, more rigorous trail to Cerro Chato for a little while (it's stunning and well-kept) but we had to turn around well short of the summit. Proximity of these trails means plenty to do without leaving the immediate area.
- Very clean, spacious, and well-designed accommodations. A well-functioning kitchenette.
- A very friendly and accommodating staff. Responded quickly to any requests.
- Costa Rican-owned and very committed to environmental preservation.
- Very quiet site. Lots of wildlife, especially an incredible variety of birds. Flourishing, flowery gardens.
- The free breakfast was a hearty campesino feast.
- Because a ridge lies in the way, you can't see the Arenal volcano from most parts of the property. You'll see it -- it's close, you'll hear it, and you're on the green (not ashen) side -- on the drive up to this remote site, and from the Cerro Chato trail. But not from your windows/balcony.
- With taxes and high-season surcharges, we ended up paying about $400/night. Yikes.
- You're high up in the mountains. That pool is cold! No hot springs in this part of the area.
- We had dinner there because they said we could if we asked ahead of time, but it's clearly not what they usually "do." Service was friendly and it was delicious, but little things (silverware) slipped through the cracks occasionally. Maybe try one of La Fortuna's restaurants down the hill.
- Remoteness means distance. You must have a car. The last 4km of road to the site means driving over a steep dirt road with some big rocks. (We did it in a compact Kia with no problems.) La Fortuna is a 10-minute drive. Tabacon hot springs is 20 min. The Lake Arenal dam is 25 min. The National Park entrance is 25-30 min.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Large groups|