“THIS is how a Ride SHOULD be!”

Cabalgata Don Tobias
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The excursion, which takes place 100% on horseback, begins at the farm stables of Don Tobias. There, a professional team of guides prepares visitors with relevant information. Children's equipment is also available. Almost all of the excursion takes place on private land, crossing rivers and jungle, crossing second generation forest and primary forest, as well as beautiful pastures some of which are used for cattle, visitors will see the magnificent Arenal Volcano that accompanies the Visitors throughout the trip. Departure: 8:30 am or 1:30 p.mDuration: 3 hours Includes: Transportation, guide, equipment, water.Sugested Equipment: long trousers, cool shirts, binoculars, cameras, sunscreen and repellent Of insects.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I try to ride on every vacation I take, mostly they are a disappointment since there are so many rules and regulations and it's rare you get to even get to a lope. I understand that since many rides are for inexperienced riders.
But THIS! This was AMAZING! Don Tobias' niece was our guide and she literally jumped on, slapped the horse and off we went. Up mountains, down valleys, through creeks. We stopped at the goat/pig farm and at Don Tobias restaurant for refreshing juice.
She was wonderfully informative and fun. We felt perfectly safe and the horses were wonderful. I want to go back to Costa Rica just for this!

1  Thank Sparks107

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked a 1:30pm- two hour trip. It was a real horseback ride up to the volcano. We went through creeks and up some steep muddy hills. Im glad the horse was doing all the work. On the way down you do get a juice at the beautiful steakhouse in the middle of the hillside. The exprience was great. We had a great time.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We ended up on a private tour with my husband. The grounds are well kept & I asked for a horse with "Character" and ended up with a lazy horse... I think her name was "Blackie?" she needed a little more encouragement to keep up with the guide. If I had more horse experience, directing her wouldn't have been a challenge :) Our guide Eric, was really informative and great at spotting wildlife. During our tour we were able to see a sloth and a family of wild boars. It was really hot the day we went, so I recommend bringing sunglasses and a hat~! We stopped off at the restaurant for some fresh organic lemonade, the views were spectacular. The owner was really nice and down to earth as well. We had a laid back, relaxing tour :)

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked the ride through Anywhere Costa Rica which included transportation from and back to my hotel. The owner picked me up at the hotel (not so far from the stables) and introduced me to my guide, Eric. Eric asked if I rode and I mentioned not for very long time. I signed a waiver, chose a helmet and saddled up. We’d ride up towards the volcano, water and rest the horses, then continue and end up at the restaurant where we’d have a fruit drink and rest the horses again before heading back down to the stables. Eric’s English was okay (my Spanish is non-existent) but he made clear that he wanted me to feel safe. He explained how to take the steep slopes up and down. He also took my camera so he could take lots of photos of me on my horse with fantastic views for the back drop. The horse was well behaved and responsive and I felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time. I was happy to trot a bit and even canter but it was only briefly. Frankly, most of the trail is pretty strenuous and rocky—the horses are sure-footed but it is a fairly demanding trek in some parts and the horses do need the rest breaks. When we got to the Benedictus restaurant we tied up our horses and enjoyed a gorgeous view of the valley over a pineapple smoothie. There was also a bathroom to use. After 20 minutes we mounted up and took a different trail back to the stables. All in all, it was exactly what I wanted out of the ride—a beautiful day enjoying the outdoors on horseback.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We did a private tour. Wasn't much more, but was totally worth it. We loved that you actually got to "ride" the horses and our guide was excellent. Not sure how this would be for novice riders.

The property is privately owned and they stop at a restaurant for a juice. We really enjoyed it. We did go back and eat at the restaurant later though and were not very impressed with the food and service at it.