“Very helpful having someone that knew the area...”
The Riverbank: An oasis of calm in the middle of everything!
Riverbank 1 open concept living and dining room with fully equipped kitchen. Riverbank 1 Master Bedroom: Queen size bed, large window opens to yard and river.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Riverbank: An oasis of calm in the middle of everything!
Riverbank 1 open concept living and dining room with fully equipped kitchen.
Even the corners are pretty... more art, little touches to add to your stay.
Riverbank 1 bathroom with laurel wood counter.
Riverbank 1 Second Bedroom: Custom designed full size bed and single bunk.
Riverbank 1 Dining table and living room leading to balcony with volcano view.
The first meal on the new, hand made, laurel dining set;  chicken/spinach salad w/ caviar and
Rare Black Laurel wood, used in the creation of hand made furniture just for The Riverbank
Rustic, hand made end tables and bedroom units add to the unique comfort and charm of The Riverbank.
Very tranquil, secluded backyard full of iguanas, humming birds, exotic fruit trees and flowers!
So many different flowers, and so beautiful!
This is a Cherrie's Tanager perched in the back yard.
Riverbank 2 Master bedroom: Queen size bed, colorful artwork and yard view.
Riverbank 2 Second bedroom: Unique full size bed with single top bunk.
Riverbank 2: Wide shot of large fully equipped kitchen and dining area.
Riverbank 2: Bathroom
Riverbank 2: Clean, elegant, fully equipped kitchen and dining room.
Riverbank 2: Spacious living room with volcano artwork and cable tv.
The view from the balcony this morning.
Volcano and Sleeping Indian, shot from balcony of The Riverbank at dusk.
'Trumpet of Angels' blooms bi-weekly, flowers a foot long fill the night wth incredible fragrance.
Huge iguanas in the trees in the backyard. Every day!
My absolute favourite flower; a rare type of Parrot Flower growing in the back yard.
An old wheelbarrow's retirement: Used during the building's construction now it holds bansai trees!
Check out this little guy who showed up in the backyard!
The Arenal Volcano makes its own weather and changes constantly.
Mosquito nets donated to the orphanage by thoughtful guests.
Some of the projects that we have funded in whole or in part at the Hogarcito...
More playground equipment...
The water tower helps to maintain both water pressure and and supply 24/7.
Classroom supplies and equipment
Thank you banners to some of our guests for their generous donations to the Hogarcito
Presented by the Director of the shelter, received by us on behalf of our generous guests!
It's true, we really do make the extra effort. :-)
Here's what some recent guests had to say.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Pumachick
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“If you want to be in the heart of La Fortuna for an authentic "Costa Rican" experience then this is a great place!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

We traveled with another couple and we wanted to be in the heart of the town and we got it. We could look right out our window at the volcano and we could walk a block to town to eat or catch a cab or go to the grocery store. It is not a huge place and the living room furniture is minimal but the bedrooms are spacious and it's great for a place to lay your head at night. Beware though, the roosters do start crowing at 5 am so bring a noise maker if that bothers you. Laura was super helpful finding us excursions and cabs and was there to answer our questions if we needed her.

Liked best: The location to downtown La Fortuna
Liked least: The lighting was very dim especially in the bathroom and the water was lukewarm after one shower.
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
23 Mar 2014
It's always disappointing to do your best for demanding clients and be rewarded with a poor review. However this is a great opportunity to point out what to expect and what not to expect which is important because expectations are critical to whether or not you have a good time. For those who have not rented a house or condo before, you should know that they do not come with full time staff; in other words they are not hotels. While we do welcome clients ourselves to The Riverbank, (and now The Riverbank 2 as well,) we do not have a "front desk" with staff waiting to take care of you.

While we did go above and beyond for this group of people, they clearly would have been happier staying at an all-inclusive location with staff available 24/7. I poured them some of my favourite rum when they checked in, we spent an hour making sure that they were comfortable, told them about our favourite spots, booked their tours etc. We spent an entire evening with them ourselves, going for drinks to our favourite park-side spot, then to our favourite pizza place. We even went so far as to refund their tour and rent invoices so that they could pay cash and save the Paypal costs.

So frankly I can't understand how the service could have been any better; we simply could not possibly have been any more helpful, caring or attentive than we were and it's a surprise to read that they were less than thrilled.

So, how to say this politely.... We're glad that they had a good time, but we'd probably suggest that they stay somewhere else on their next trip to CR. ;-)
Clay202
Tullahoma, Tennessee
“Very helpful having someone that knew the area that spoke English to help us get around.”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 for a stay in February 2014

We really enjoyed our experience in Costa Rica and the condo owner was very helpful. We did not know Spanish and he told us the best places to go in the area as well as a local map. The condo was within walking distance of anywhere you wanted to go in the town. The condo was very nice and had original paintings of local flowers. It had a great view of the volcano.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: We liked the fact that it was within easy walking distance to anything in town.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Boston

DumesNY
Cohoes, New York
“Host of the year!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 for a stay in October 2013

Is there a "Host of the Year" award on here? ; ) If so, these two own it. William and Laura were a pleasure. Professional and fun, always around in the event we needed anything! Great food, places to shop, tour recommendations and had everything perfectly laid out for us. Such great company too! Lots of laughs were had!

The apartment was great! Very clean, fully stocked, close to everything and had GREAT views of the Volcano (When it wasnt covered in clouds). The AC was great to come home to after a long tour, totally clutch! We highly recommend this place!

You definitely hear people out front at night or on the weekends passing to and from the city, but that didnt bother us any. It usually died down after a while. It was not constant. Also, the roosters that hung around across the street made for a good alarm clock! There is a grocery store literally around the corner and we enjoyed cooking a meal or two in the apartment. Thanks again you guys! Best Wishes!
~S&W

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Closeness to the city and great views, and the AC
Liked least: The stove only had one accessable burner.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
8 Nov 2013
We LOVED having you two here! Thanks so much for going to the Halloween party at Wendy's place with us, we were very happy to invite you and very happy that you came and had such a good time. Sorry about that burner not working, I wish that you'd told me right away! It was a 2 second fix, just had a cracked knob... I could have had that done for you in ten minutes! Anyway, it's fixed now and ready for when you come back! ;-)

Seriously the two of you were great company. Spending time with you felt like hanging out with old friends. It was such a pleasure to take you around town and show you our favourite spots, plus you were such great company! It isn't often that a person gets to meet folks who are so down to earth but who still know a good bottle of wine as well as how fish SHOULD be cooked, ha ha!

Normally I'm much more serious in my replies, so I will add this for the benefit of other guests; make sure that you book your activities in advance and give serious thought to using private van service for your longer drives including your airport pickup!

Now that that's out of the way, thanks again for staying with us. I tell people all of the time that I feel like I don't even have a job. But hanging out with you two made Laura and I feel like we were on vacation too! Big hugs, (and proper manly fist bumps from me to the male half of your team, ha ha!) Hurry back! :)
California
Reviewed 12 September 2013 for a stay in June 2013

12 Sep 2013
Jeremy i have to say that you are by far the most interesting accountant I've ever met! You, your brother and your friend were very much the sort of people who make being in this business fun. You are always welcome here!

Thanks for the compliments, I obviously do what I can to make certain that people have an experience that will last a lifetime. I've been unbelievably lucky to actually live here and I know exactly how incredible it is. You are absolutely right, Jeremy, I do try to make all of my guests feel as at home as they can be and I try to give them the benefit of any and all "insider/local/behind the scenes" info that I've gathered. After all, it's what I'd like someone to do for me if I were elsewhere! :-).

Thanks for staying here, thanks for the fantastic review, (blushing,) I hope that you guys come back soon!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing