After driving four hours to Arenal we finally got to the hotel. The road up to the hotel was always fun for us, we put on the indiana jones theme song going up or down! Every once in a while we would turn off the headlights at night going up, scary but fun.
When we got to the hotel they had us in the wrong room. We were supposed to have the family room, but she wanted to give us one suite case the family room was taken. Ummm No. The reason I booked the family room was because we each wanted our own bed. After explaining this she gave us another room. Two days later, when we moved to the family suite I wanted to go back to the other rooms.. The family suite is large, but the place smelled of urine. One of the rooms didnt have AC and it was musty. Apparently an animal came in from the rain and made himself at home. When I returned to the front desk to ask to go back to our old rooms, she almost said no, but Miguel interjected and said anything to make us happy. Good thing too, because when I went back to get my things we found out there was a leak in the roof. It was a bit of a hassle, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
Miguel is the guy who does the nature walk and the horse back ridding. You do have to sign up at the front desk for this, you cant just show up. Miguel is very knowledgeable and answered all our questions during the walk. I guess we must have been asking so many questions that he took extra time to show us things; like letting an ant bite his skin!! So cool.. I think Miguel was one of the best things about this hotel.
We went to dinner at the restaurant and the waiter we had (the one that looks like obama) was kinda rude and unpleasant. We wish we had the other one who seemed really nice and upbeat. The free breakfast was nice, especially the buffet.
Overall I would stay here again, maybe not so many days. Just enough to do a nature walk and horseback ride with Miguel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos