ABOVE AVERAGE for property and nature.
OKAY for accomodations.
We came for the view of the volcano and to see wildlife and our family of 4 (2 teens) saw more than we expected. This is why I rated the hotel "above average"
We arrived late afternoon and took a hike down the Plantation Trail, which is lined with a variety of plants and trees like banana, coffee, etc. Walking along, you'll come to a beautiful fountain. Keep walking, you'll find a gazebo with a beautiful view and hammocks. We saw a peccary and lots of birds. Hiking back, it started raining (and rained all night.) My daughter and I went to the ponds next to the pool to find frogs, and we saw so many colorful tree frogs. At night, we opened our windows and enjoyed the frog symphony. (Don't know if it's every night or just when it's raining)
We spent lots of time on our private balcony - what a view! There's a pair of parrots that fly around and will chatter with you.
Woke at 5 am and had a marvelous view of the sunrise on the volcano. (See pictures) You won't see the lava flow from this hotel.
At breakfast, the staff puts fruit on tree branches and many varieties of birds come. There are big windows with views of the property and volcano.
There's a pool table in the bar that kept my son entertained.
As far as the accomodations, I would rate them as "okay". We stayed one night in the junior suite, which was run down - new mattresses are needed. The room was roomy enough for the 4 of us. If you want luxury, stay elsewhere.
It is far from town but close to the Arenal Hanging bridges.
We had a car and our plan was to drive to town for dinner, but once it started raining we ate dinner at the hotel because we didn't want to drive up and down the long road to the hotel. Dinner was enjoyable.
Free hot breakfast buffet was to be available at 6:30 but it was not ready till 7, and we had to leave at 7 for an excursion. (Cold cereal and coffee/juice was available)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos