A truly fantastic place and the only place to watch the volcano!! Lovely understated rooms but dont expect TV, internet, phone...you're not here for that. Long 4WD access adds to the remoteness, long may it stay that way!! Beautiful grounds, lovely trails, fantastic animal and birdlife and a truly wonderful pool. Restaurant unlikely to win any awards but waiting staff fun and one of the best breakfasts we had in Costa Rica.
Snakes, Orupendula (birds you'll hear before seeing), humming birds, Koati, monkeys and an erupting volcano. What more can I stay.
Ask for a room away from the main building. Take your walking and swimming gear along with a raincoat, camera and binoculars.
Truly fabulous. Will remember our stay for a very long time!!
P.S. If you're after a Hilton, go and stay elsewhere in one of the MacResorts along the road from La Fortuna.
P.P.S Do NOT confuse this place with Arenal lodge!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated only 1.7 Miles from the majestic Arenal Volcano and with a spectacular view of Lake Arenal, the Arenal Observatory Lodge (AOL) offers guests the opportunity to DISCOVER, EXPLORE and RELAX. Located within the Arenal Conservation Area and surrounded by rainforests and nature, AOL sits on an 870 acres property, which consists of 400 acres of reforestation, 270 acres of natural forest and 200 acres of cultivated land. The hotel offers 48 comfortable rooms surrounded by gardens, the majority with a direct view of the volcano and/or the forest. The 7 miles of well-maintained trails for walking, horseback riding or biking running through the property provide good opportunities to observe a variety of flora and fauna. Approximately 500 species of birds live in the area making AOL a preferred destination for bird watchers. Activities at the hotel include hikes to the waterfall or to explore Cerro Chato (an extinct volcano with a small lake in the crater), horseback riding, bicycling through the trails, enjoying a refreshing swim in our pool, or simply relaxing with a massage in our SPA. The hotel is well located to serve as a base for a variety of excursions such as the Cano Negro Nature Refuge, hot springs, Venado Caves, Canopy Tours, Arenal Hanging Bridges, Fishing, White Water Rafting, Canyoning, Biking etc. It also serves as a very interesting stop before heading on to Monteverde Cloud Forest or to the beaches of the Pacific coast. Arenal Observatory Lodge is the perfect place for adventure lovers, families, and honeymooners. With its spectacular location, great service, and friendly personnel you won't be disappointed ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Observatory Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos