We stayed at the White Hawk Villa, this is a very large two story home at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. The home is away from all of the visitors. It sits up on a hill all by its lonesome. It is has its own private road and is electronically gated. You are given a gate opener. If you like being away from the crowds this is perfect. It is a beautiful setting, the home is very spacious. Home has nice furniture and is perfect for a large group. We had four couples. Could hold a lot of people but there are only two bedrooms. There are two bedrooms and a full kitchen, open dining room living room combination, carport and sufficient parking. Each bedroom has a king sized bed and two twin beds with a full bath. We took the mattresses off of the twin beds to make two larger beds and placed the mattresses in the huge living room on the floor. This worked out perfect. The bedrooms are on the lower floor facing the volcano. In the night it rained so hard, it was awesome. Beautiful flowers around the villa with hummingbirds flying, Howler monkeys in the trees in the distance. Spectacular view to the lake and volcano from inside the home. The Arenal Observatory Lodge is the best place to be for volcano viewing. The breakfast was included, a typical Costa Rican breakfast buffet; enough to keep you satisfied for the morning. You can also order off a menu. We had lunch and dinner there. Food was ok; food was our least favorite of our 10 day trip to Costa Rica, but don't let that keep you from coming. Hiking, kayaking, canyoning and other activities are bountiful in the area. A must see, Tabacon Hot Springs - go there in the evening (best at night) for the hot springs. Wish we could have stayed longer at the Arenal Observatory Lodge there is a lot to see at Arenal Observatory Lodge. We also did a hike from the Lodge down to the river. There are a lot of white faced Coati's hanging around the lodge.
I understand that the volcano can be obscured by clouds most of the time. We were lucky, the day we arrived we saw the volcano in full, then as the days passed we could not see due to cloud cover. If you do see it in full, get your camera out, you may not have another opportunity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated only 1.7 Miles from the majestic Arenal Volcano and with a spectacular view of Lake Arenal, the Arenal Observatory Lodge (AOL) offers guests the opportunity to DISCOVER, EXPLORE and RELAX. Located within the Arenal Conservation Area and surrounded by rainforests and nature, AOL sits on an 870 acres property, which consists of 400 acres of reforestation, 270 acres of natural forest and 200 acres of cultivated land. The hotel offers 48 comfortable rooms surrounded by gardens, the majority with a direct view of the volcano and/or the forest. The 7 miles of well-maintained trails for walking, horseback riding or biking running through the property provide good opportunities to observe a variety of flora and fauna. Approximately 500 species of birds live in the area making AOL a preferred destination for bird watchers. Activities at the hotel include hikes to the waterfall or to explore Cerro Chato (an extinct volcano with a small lake in the crater), horseback riding, bicycling through the trails, enjoying a refreshing swim in our pool, or simply relaxing with a massage in our SPA. The hotel is well located to serve as a base for a variety of excursions such as the Cano Negro Nature Refuge, hot springs, Venado Caves, Canopy Tours, Arenal Hanging Bridges, Fishing, White Water Rafting, Canyoning, Biking etc. It also serves as a very interesting stop before heading on to Monteverde Cloud Forest or to the beaches of the Pacific coast. Arenal Observatory Lodge is the perfect place for adventure lovers, families, and honeymooners. With its spectacular location, great service, and friendly personnel you won't be disappointed ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Observatory Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Observatory Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos