I stayed here with my wife for a few days on our honeymoon. The facilities are very nice, the staff was helpful, and the food was pretty good. The reason you are here though is for access to the hot springs area. They are natural, running rivers with pools through a rain forest setting and are simply amazing.
Now the reality is that you pay for this in a big way. This is an expensive hotel and once you are there everything is VERY EXPENSIVE. Don't expect a couple to eat anything for under $100 US at dinner and probably $75 at lunch which is at least triple what you'd pay eating out downtown for the same things. The rooms are nice, but are not special.
The one truly stand out item beyond the hot springs is the Gala Dinner. This is a private dinning experience in a candle lit bungalow decorated for your occasion with a private chef. We did this and it was the highlight of our stay here. I highly recommend this if your looking for a romantic dinner.
In conclusion: I will be back to Arenal as the area is simply beautiful, but I will stay somewhere else and likely just pay the $45 day pass fee to visit the hot springs at Tabacon for a few hours one of the days I'm there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos